• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Marantz and Denon receivers and amps sound the same?

SineWave

I think I know the answer but just checking with you guys. Thanks in advance!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They do not measure the same.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir had measured both marantz and Denon lines for the current generation so the difference in their engineering is available to see if you want to check it out. Amirs data showed the comparable Denon recovers had better sinad and better filtering.

pedrob

I note amirm states "I am happy to now recommend the AVR-X4700H", so I'm wondering if it the best of the current Denon/Marantz models. Some of which fail miserably.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can look at his amplifier index to see how they rank.

edit: Let me be more helpful. Here is the index where Amir ranks the electronics he has tested. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

If you go to the Electronics Ranking tab and then in the Device Type dropdown menu pick "AV Receiver/Processor" from the list it will give you a filtered ranking of the AVRs he has tested and you can see the SINAD based rankings to see which rank highest and see how different two given AVRs measure to give a sense of the engineering quality spread.

If you go to the Electronics Index tab you can filter again by AV Receiver/Processor and see which were recommended by Amir and which were not as well as set yourself a budget.

This can help you narrow your field. From there You can dive in to the reviews for each of your remaining candidates to get some of the nuances on their capabilities.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

pedrob

You can look at his amplifier index to see how they rank.

edit: Let me be more helpful. Here is the index where Amir ranks the electronics he has tested. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

If you go to the Electronics Ranking tab and then in the Device Type dropdown menu pick "AV Receiver/Processor" from the list it will give you a filtered ranking of the AVRs he has tested and you can see the SINAD based rankings to see which rank highest and see how different two given AVRs measure to give a sense of the engineering quality spread.

If you go to the Electronics Index tab you can filter again by AV Receiver/Processor and see which were recommended by Amir and which were not as well as set yourself a budget.

This can help you narrow your field. From there You can dive in to the reviews for each of your remaining candidates to get some of the nuances on their capabilities.

Hope this is helpful!
Thanks for the edit, link and instructions. Very helpful and I really appreciate your effort.

Interestingly on the main tab I'm not seeing any recommendations for Marantz.

I've read here that some reviewers can be unrealistically positive, which suggests there could be an urge not to put manufacturers off side. Perhaps some reviews are more honest than others.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't really say. I personally don't ascribe ill will or nefarious intent to subjective reviews. I do think Amir's objective measurements are the primary starting point to winnow down the field such that I know a product I'm looking at is well engineered and performs well. Then I'll look at subjective reviews of just those products to try and get some additional insight into things like features, ease of use, and how well it would handle the function I would want it to perform.

regarding "how things sound" I think there is so much religion around this that discussions devolve pretty quickly. So do that test last and go and listen for yourself. You need to be okay knowing that at that point any option you pick is going to be great because you've already covered the measurements, the features, price, ease of use, and how well it functions. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the edit, link and instructions. Very helpful and I really appreciate your effort.

Interestingly on the main tab I'm not seeing any recommendations for Marantz.

I've read here that some reviewers can be unrealistically positive, which suggests there could be an urge not to put manufacturers off side. Perhaps some reviews are more honest than others.
The only really honest reviews have measurements of the gear.

Even then, don't get too hung up on things, most gear is better than our ear.

Top Bottom