• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DO IT ALL SETUP ?

K20voigt

I'm curious what would be good setup for home theater and 2 channel music?

I was thinking
1. audiolab 6000a for 2 channel listening and / denon 3700h for HT
2. Arcam sa 10 / denon 3700h
Or
3.Emotiva basx a3 plus a topping(dont know yet) / denon 3700h
The speakers are kef r3

What i want to accomplish is a decent 2 channel setup and good separation for HT

OP
K

K20voigt

You could do better for the same money.

What country are you in?
United States, better like what ? some people recommend me regal brio but i believe that one doesn't have home theater pass thru and i want to be able to take advantage of those watts while im not using 2 channel

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
United States, better like what ? some people recommend me regal brio but i believe that one doesn't have home theater pass thru and i want to be able to take advantage of those watts while im not using 2 channel
I'm not seeing a home theater pass thru on the 6000A or the Rega Brio. I suggest for surround sound with some extra power on the main channel the Denon with a class D amp from Buckeye Amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
Good speakers, undeniably. Of course they should be fed with a signal from a good amp ... DAC and so on.:D

OT
In addition to amp think about speaker placement and your room acoustics. Possible that you have already thought about it, just thought to mention it as a general tip.This of course applies to all of us, regardless of brand / model of speakers and listening room.:)

Even Amir can miss such things:

EDIT: later testing showed that the room mode at about 105 Hz was impacting the tonality of the speaker. Once I filtered that, the sound was very good. I have since made this part of the protocol.

I had thought about subwoofers together with those speakers, but of course it's a matter of taste.:)

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I'm curious what would be good setup for home theater and 2 channel music?

I was thinking
1. audiolab 6000a for 2 channel listening and / denon 3700h for HT
2. Arcam sa 10 / denon 3700h
Or
3.Emotiva basx a3 plus a topping(dont know yet) / denon 3700h
The speakers are kef r3

What i want to accomplish is a decent 2 channel setup and good separation for HT
For the R3s the Denon X3700 will do just fine in terms of power and SINAD (ca 90dB). It is highly unlikely that you will hear a difference to the other devices you have proposed. And you have everything in one box (streaming, HT, Room EQ).

For an audible difference either add a sub (KC62 or KF92 if you want KEF and depending on room size) or put the money in the bank for a future speaker upgrade (although the R3s are very very good).

I have the Reference 3 and two KF92 and run separate low SINAD power amps and keep the Denon in preamp only mode (ca 100dB SINAD).

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Welcome. How big is the room? No subwoofer in your setup, yet? In my book for any speaker, regardless of bass extension, most rooms need at least 2 subwoofers. My opinion is based on scientific facts.. pretty solid.
I'd go with Denon 3700 for 2-channel and HT... If it comes that the R3 need more power then you acquire a good Hypex-based amp. I intend to write on what AVRs bing to a system but haven't gotten the time: To summarize: a Denon AVRs with pre-outputs e.g Denon AVR-X3700, are extraordinary capable music center. They provide DRC and DSP. Those 2, are big and can help transform good equipment into superlative performers. This requires time to learn, to learn to measure, discipline to stay the course and determination. An AVR in 2-channel can provide a level of spectacular performance. DRC is real and Audyssey when well understood and configured provide a lot.
My recommendation:
Denon AVR3700
Pair of Subwoofers from the usual suspects, SVS, HSU, Rythmik
Kef R3
a miniDSP Umik 1

Take your time to learn, ask question here... You will be in heaven.

Peace.

OP
K

K20voigt

Hello again guys thanks for all the inputs ,the room is 12x14 , im going to be adding a subwoofer eventually , my original idea was to build a home theater/music room 70%30% but now with everything ive been reading i kinda like 2 channel listening too and am leaning for a 50%50% room with that being said, a lot of people "audiophiles" use a separate amp for two channel hence my question , would I get a better sound using a separate amp with the denon 3700h? Or is it not worth it?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello again guys thanks for all the inputs ,the room is 12x14 , im going to be adding a subwoofer eventually , my original idea was to build a home theater/music room 70%30% but now with everything ive been reading i kinda like 2 channel listening too and am leaning for a 50%50% room with that being said, a lot of people "audiophiles" use a separate amp for two channel hence my question , would I get a better sound using a separate amp with the denon 3700h? Or is it not worth it?
personally I would buy the sub first. Then determine if you still feel you’d like an upgraded amp for 2 channel. Especially in 50/50 setup. And even in a 90/10 music heavy system you’ll notice the sub more since the Denon already has a decent amp.

regan

Hi

Welcome. How big is the room? No subwoofer in your setup, yet? In my book for any speaker, regardless of bass extension, most rooms need at least 2 subwoofers. My opinion is based on scientific facts.. pretty solid.
I'd go with Denon 3700 for 2-channel and HT... If it comes that the R3 need more power then you acquire a good Hypex-based amp. I intend to write on what AVRs bing to a system but haven't gotten the time: To summarize: a Denon AVRs with pre-outputs e.g Denon AVR-X3700, are extraordinary capable music center. They provide DRC and DSP. Those 2, are big and can help transform good equipment into superlative performers. This requires time to learn, to learn to measure, discipline to stay the course and determination. An AVR in 2-channel can provide a level of spectacular performance. DRC is real and Audyssey when well understood and configured provide a lot.
My recommendation:
Denon AVR3700
Pair of Subwoofers from the usual suspects, SVS, HSU, Rythmik
Kef R3
a miniDSP Umik 1

Take your time to learn, ask question here... You will be in heaven.

Peace.
Is the denon 3700 a good enough amp as well as dac?
If we compare it to let's say a hypex 252mp + topping e50?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How do
If we compare it to let's say a hypex 252mp + topping e50.
How do mean good enough? The Denon does not measure as well as the Hypex Topping combo for 2 channel. But it’s by no means a bad piece of gear. Really depends on if your chasing windmills as to what is good enough. :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
No not worth it with R3s. See my previous post. Get a sub first. Besides you can always add a power amp later, but don’t be disappointed if you don’t hear a difference.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
If we compare it to let's say a hypex 252mp + topping e50?
The Denon comes in at about 90dB SINAD with the power amps used. I very much doubt you will hear a difference to the Hypex/Topping. Especially as the Denon provides room correction which makes a huge difference audibly and for which you would have to add MiniDSP (ca 200USD) to the Hypex combo. Plus the Denon streams as well what the Topping does not so you need a streamer (min. 150USD unless you run your PC all the time).

In the end it depends what your budget and use case is.

(I run low SINAD power amps but I need the power for the Kef Reference 3. The Denon will have plenty for the Kef R3. But sure if you want to afford it go for it).

Last edited:
Top Bottom