• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do IsoAcoustics products affect dispersion?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, Frank. If I'm understanding you correctly; if you suspend a vibrating thing on a spring of some kind, everything above 2x the resonant frequency of that system will be uncoupled at that interface? So, for example a speaker on an elastic stand of some kind will prevent those frequencies from reaching the floor, and vice versa, but the sound of the speaker's radiation won't be changed significantly?

This seems to bear out the common assertion that the only effective damping for low frequencies in rooms is flexible walls.

I went to architecture school, so my understanding of physics doesn't extend much past statics which are of course not useful in audio.
That is it.
Yes, exactly that if you wish to prevent the speaker vibration being coupled to the floor.
If you want to reduce transmission from one room to another the two things I remember making the most difference were no air leaks between the two and a massive wall.
Reducing the sound of a noise source in the room is about reducing reflections, and I guess flexible walls is the way you do that for bass - but transmission to neighbouring rooms will be high.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is it.
Yes, exactly that if you wish to prevent the speaker vibration being coupled to the floor.
If you want to reduce transmission from one room to another the two things I remember making the most difference were no air leaks between the two and a massive wall.
Reducing the sound of a noise source in the room is about reducing reflections, and I guess flexible walls is the way you do that for bass - but transmission to neighbouring rooms will be high.

Those were the lessons from architectural acoustics. Plants don't reduce noise, high heels will transmit sound through concrete, and any holes or air leaks nullify sound attenuation.

Le Corbusier had the idea of using sheets of lead suspended between concrete interior partitions, but apparently they didn't work, and you could hear an electric razor three apartments away.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the origin. In English it is slang though.

Edit and I would say it is southern English slang too - anybody correct me if i am wrong - I have not heard it used in Scotland or Wales.
Apparently there's a picture of Jamie Oliver next to that word in the dictionary! (or has has he TM'd it!) :D

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, so the smearing effect is the sound of the speaker‘s friction against the table, and not better stabilization of the speaker itself?

No. The idea is that any movement of the cabinet will move the speaker cones (esp. tweeter) causing Doppler distortion.

The cones move in order to move air (i.e. produce sound). Ideally, you only want the signal to cause the cones to move, not an extraneous vibration.

The effect is real; whether it can be heard is not established AFAIK.

Andysu

Major Contributor
is this another one of these snake oiling things ? the same speakers placed side by side and where is the REW frequency graphs ? also the floor on which they are standing on . the floorboards and which way does the floor joists go ? the floorboard joists travel underneath the seat i think they are 16" apart ? so joists make difference . the windows with how the speakers are placed i bet bass waves traveling near to those windows is going to have bass weakness . yeah , audiophiles sure . the test is fail . needs to be done again . also on concrete floor . personally i think it's snake oil . i can go buy those sort of things cheaper and why would i want to isolate the subs or screen speakers ?

Top Bottom