• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do IsoAcoustics products affect dispersion?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The effect of the different placement is obviously there but besides that they indeed reduce the vibration emitted by the speakers. Such effect can be perceived. Genelec which is known for not doing nonsense delivers its speaker with a rubber like stand which handles the same issue.

Exactly. Genelec know what they are doing.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An extreme example, but shows the principle

zeppzeppzepp

I have one of their product.
It really depends on the need for isolation between loudspeaker and the surface it sits on.
Rubber or similar material surely absorbs some sort of vibration.
I'll say maybe good result will occur when loudspeaker with very solid enclosure sitting on something hollow like desktop.
But if the loudspeaker's enclosure is more resonant, the isolation feet will change the tonal character often not in a good way.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a test and recording with the speaker at the same height. Listen with good headphones.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Longshan

Next time give your money to a charity or directly to a homeless person.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is a test and recording with the speaker at the same height. Listen with good headphones.
I don't get exactly what he is doing there.
Is he playing both speakers simultaneously, one with isoacoustics and one with spikes, recording simulteanously with (stereo??) canon mics pointing each speaker, soloing each mic in turn?
That does not sound right...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get exactly what he is doing there.
Is he playing both speakers simultaneously, one with isoacoustics and one with spikes, recording simulteanously with (stereo??) canon mics pointing each speaker, soloing each mic in turn?
That does not sound right...
He pointed one mic into each speaker and recorded stereo each time, before both speakers with regular spikes, and after both speakers with the Gaia feet.

Reactions: pos

pos

Forum Donor
Ok that makes more sense.
I listened to the comparison without knowing which was which, on purpose, and it turned out I "prefer" the one with the spikes :/

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listened to the comparison without knowing which was which, on purpose, and it turned out I "prefer" the one with the spikes :/

If you listen to my short sweeps do you still prefer ”spikes”?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But how do you know which recording is which feet? As far as I know he has not told the results. The point of the video I think was to blind test the audience and show that both sound different even at the same height.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are 2 sorts of isolation that get used, one is pukka isolation, where the mass of the object is suspended on a low damping elastic element, with these everything above about 2x the resonant frequency of the mass on the elastic element won't get through.
The other is absorption, where a lossy material is used between the items. Here the vibration is converted to heat in the lossy material, it is cheaper but variable in its frequency effectiveness abd does not usually absorb very well at low frequencies.
A rough rule of thumb is that an isolator which isolates over the full audio range will deflect about 1" when the mass of the object to be isolated is placed on it. If it deflects less it will be isolating from a higher frequency (¼" is probably fine for little desk speakers).

Edit, I forgot the fact that, if you don't isolate your desk top will be behaving like the sound board of a piano and the sound will certainly not be accurate.

Can you provide more information on 'pukka' isolation? I searched for it and I couldn't come up with any references to that.

pos

Forum Donor
But how do you know which recording is which feet? As far as I know he has not told the results.
Yes he does, around 1'25" (don't want to write which it is here, in case anyone else also wants to do the test "blind")

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see measurements, but please do no make me listen to sweeps :D

:D:DIts not that bad, this time. Try it. Distortion plots are linked a few posts up.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you provide more information on 'pukka' isolation? I searched for it and I couldn't come up with any references to that.
Pukka is English slang for real or proper, sorry it doesn't translate for a world audience.

Reactions: 617

Kachda

Forum Donor
Pukka is English slang for real or proper, sorry it doesn't translate for a world audience.
Actually pukka comes from hindi/urdu and the British started using it during colonial times

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually pukka comes from hindi/urdu and the British started using it during colonial times
I know the origin. In English it is slang though.

Edit and I would say it is southern English slang too - anybody correct me if i am wrong - I have not heard it used in Scotland or Wales.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the origin. In English it is slang though.

Thanks, Frank. If I'm understanding you correctly; if you suspend a vibrating thing on a spring of some kind, everything above 2x the resonant frequency of that system will be uncoupled at that interface? So, for example a speaker on an elastic stand of some kind will prevent those frequencies from reaching the floor, and vice versa, but the sound of the speaker's radiation won't be changed significantly?

This seems to bear out the common assertion that the only effective damping for low frequencies in rooms is flexible walls.

I went to architecture school, so my understanding of physics doesn't extend much past statics which are of course not useful in audio.

Top Bottom