• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I still need a descent speaker making software if I go digital crossover route?

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I understand Audiolense or DSP software will time align and flatten frequency curve, so using digital crossovers the need to calculate many of the nuances with speaker design is negated. I firmly believe the minimum correction the better with DSP so I am presuming that if I can design a speaker(with no crossover) as best as possible from the beginning will benefit the overall design.

Secondly, many of the free software's don't have the high pass roll off. And of course I need something with accurate calculations with speaker enclosures.

Any advice, i mean if its needed 200 bux I am sure will be well spent but I just would love to get a simplified view on this. Just In case I have understood wrong?

bravomail

I understand Audiolense or DSP software will time align and flatten frequency curve, so using digital crossovers the need to calculate many of the nuances with speaker design is negated. I firmly believe the minimum correction the better with DSP so I am presuming that if I can design a speaker(with no crossover) as best as possible from the beginning will benefit the overall design.

Secondly, many of the free software's don't have the high pass roll off. And of course I need something with accurate calculations with speaker enclosures.

Any advice, i mean if its needed 200 bux I am sure will be well spent but I just would love to get a simplified view on this. Just In case I have understood wrong?

For 200, geez, much cheaper, I'd get soldering kit, resistors and capacitors and make my own crossovers lef and right! :)

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
You know, I knew about VituixCAD but never actually put it to the ultimate test, with trials I didn't like the enclosure tool as your not able to choose the box volume and see the change in Q.

Anyway, as I will be using digital software crossover I don't need complicated or top notch software for speaker making. Plus I can use other enclosure calculators to help with box volume. The only thing being is the high pass roll off accuracy which I would love to know about?

Either way, HammerSandwich your one word reply has saved me 200 bux plus, answered my question and motivated me to persevere with the software.

maty

Major Contributor

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...I didn't like the enclosure tool as your not able to choose the box volume and see the change in Q.
You can, but the page layout's a little strange.

Switch from Align to Enclosure. Enter Volume. You'll see Fb change when it takes effect. All the other info is - surprise! - on the Info page.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
You can, but the page layout's a little strange.

Switch from Align to Enclosure. Enter Volume. You'll see Fb change when it takes effect. All the other info is - surprise! - on the Info page.

The Fb changes but not the QTC, WinISD gives you QTC related to box volume.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great.

For reference, the Qs on Align tab are input-only. A useful tip is to spin the mouse wheel while hovering over the custom-Q box (under 0.9). Unfortunately, you'll still need to switch tabs to see box volume, etc.

The wheel works across Vituix. For example, it adjusts the Vrms input at 1dB per step. Really convenient!

Top Bottom