• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I really need a DAC

Firefly00

What are the benefits to getting a standalone DAC compared to an Apple dongle? Will I truly hear a difference?

cheers!

Kevbaz

I’m new here but I would encourage you to try some devices by borrowing from friends, listening in shops with the headphones you plan to use, before buying.
I own a dragonfly cobalt, chord mojo and Hidizs S8. I can barely hear any difference between them. They all sound good to me, so with hind sight I would have just bought the Hidizs s8 and saved a lot of money.
Cheers
Kev

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What are the benefits to getting a standalone DAC compared to an Apple dongle? Will I truly hear a difference?

cheers!

Are you looking for only sound quality improvements, or do you have other connectivity issues you are dealing with?

I would bet against hearing a difference in a controlled test with music.

Benefits are features, looks, etc...but improved sound isn't likely to come from another competent DAC.

EatMoreAudio

The question is, are you wanting a Amplifier for your setup? If yes, then you will need a DAC.

Bob-23

What are the benefits to getting a standalone DAC compared to an Apple dongle?
Apart from probably not hearing the difference, at least if it's done blinded: the durabilty of a solid manufactured dac is supposed to be a lot better than the longevity of a dongle, a typical throw-away item which might, into the bargain, finally damage the USB-port.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The question is, are you wanting a Amplifier for your setup? If yes, then you will need a DAC.

Why couldn't he run the dongle into an amp?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
We not know much about you setup and what you like to do, so answering your question is impossible. At least for the average human that is bound to information to use his knowledge. Maybe a easy task for a crystallballreader?

Top Bottom