• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I *need/want* a DAC?

SugarToes

Hey Everyone. First time poster here. I just started getting into higher quality audio a few months ago. I am still very much a beginner. My question is, do I need/want a DAC in any of my situations? Here is my equipment:

1. Living room (90% music, 10% movies)
Onkyo TX-SR393 5.2 AVR (current model budget AVR) connected to Wiim Mini Airplay2 via optical (both devices have a 384/32 DAC, but currently using the AVR DAC)
2.3 Setup with 2 JBL Studio 580 and 2 SVS PB12-NSD in front and PB1000 in the back (Living room is large and completely open to kitchen and dining and 3 hallways with 10ft ceilings)

2. Bedroom (50% music, 50% movies)
Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 AVR (higher-end 2007 model with Class A/B amps and 130W per CH) connected to Wiim Mini Airplay2 via optical (using 192/24 BB AVR DAC currently)
5.1 Setup with Triangle Borea line and SVS SB1000 Pro. For music, I put it into Stereo mode using only the Borea BR08's with the sub.

3. Office (100% music)
Aiyima A07 with Wiim Mini Airplay2 connected via AUX
2.0 Setup with KEF Q350

All Wiim's are also paired with Echo dots. All the music is processed by the Wiim or AVR and none through the Echo dots. Also I *think* (I'm not sure) both of my AVRs do at least some processing if I were to connect my Wiim via RCA instead of Optical even in direct or pure mode. In other words, I don't think I can pass along the audio signal untouched in the AVR to my speakers, if that makes sense. So I am guessing it may not be worth getting a DAC for my living room or bedroom but maybe worth it for the office? Is something like a schiit modi/topping/atom dac noticeably better than the Wiim internal dac?

I hope I made enough sense and I apologize if any of this is confusing. Thanks in advance for any comments.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Everyone. First time poster here. I just started getting into higher quality audio a few months ago. I am still very much a beginner. My question is, do I need/want a DAC in any of my situations? Here is my equipment:

1. Living room (90% music, 10% movies)
Onkyo TX-SR393 5.2 AVR (current model budget AVR) connected to Wiim Mini Airplay2 via optical (both devices have a 384/32 DAC, but currently using the AVR DAC)
2.3 Setup with 2 JBL Studio 580 and 2 SVS PB12-NSD in front and PB1000 in the back (Living room is large and completely open to kitchen and dining and 3 hallways with 10ft ceilings)

2. Bedroom (50% music, 50% movies)
Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 AVR (higher-end 2007 model with Class A/B amps and 130W per CH) connected to Wiim Mini Airplay2 via optical (using 192/24 BB AVR DAC currently)
5.1 Setup with Triangle Borea line and SVS SB1000 Pro. For music, I put it into Stereo mode using only the Borea BR08's with the sub.

3. Office (100% music)
Aiyima A07 with Wiim Mini Airplay2 connected via AUX
2.0 Setup with KEF Q350

All Wiim's are also paired with Echo dots. All the music is processed by the Wiim or AVR and none through the Echo dots. Also I *think* (I'm not sure) both of my AVRs do at least some processing if I were to connect my Wiim via RCA instead of Optical even in direct or pure mode. In other words, I don't think I can pass along the audio signal untouched in the AVR to my speakers, if that makes sense. So I am guessing it may not be worth getting a DAC for my living room or bedroom but maybe worth it for the office? Is something like a schiit modi/topping/atom dac noticeably better than the Wiim internal dac?

I hope I made enough sense and I apologize if any of this is confusing. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Keep using the AVRs

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would agree you are not likely to see or I should say hear benefits. If you just want to satisfy your curiosity, the idea of getting Topping or Atom for the office is a good one. You can try it in your other systems to of course. I think sticking with what you have is fine.

Top Bottom