• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need to clean my LP's?

spiral scratch

I read through that, "Aqueous Cleaning..." pdf and this thread but I'm still not clear on what's best for grease, like oil or some sort of food contamination. I guess that's considered organics, so is this what the quat cleaning is for? That pdf was also recommending vinegar if quats weren't readily available. Maybe it's an enzyme cleaner, not really sure. I've been using a few drops of 0.05 dilution of triton x-100 in distlled water. but I guess according to that pdf this is really the last step before final rinsing. It didn't remove the grease. I was thinking vinegar might be worth a try as it should cut that sort of thing. I could mix it with some triton x-100 to improve wetting. Just wondering if anyone's has any experience and a suggestion for removing grease.

NormB

I read through that, "Aqueous Cleaning..." pdf and this thread but I'm still not clear on what's best for grease, like oil or some sort of food contamination. I guess that's considered organics, so is this what the quat cleaning is for? That pdf was also recommending vinegar if quats weren't readily available. Maybe it's an enzyme cleaner, not really sure. I've been using a few drops of 0.05 dilution of triton x-100 in distlled water. but I guess according to that pdf this is really the last step before final rinsing. It didn't remove the grease. I was thinking vinegar might be worth a try as it should cut that sort of thing. I could mix it with some triton x-100 to improve wetting. Just wondering if anyone's has any experience and a suggestion for removing grease.

a couple of drops of Dawn CLEAR will work wonders. It’s used - has been used- for decades to degrease seabirds after (rare these days) oil spills.

lately I’ve been using it to clean brass cartridges for reloading (another pricey hobby of mine is teaching new shooters as an NRA-certified instructor and I do a lot of shooting myself), but there are some good “organic” detergents which work well too.

a little 99% isopropyl alcohol helps too. - about 10% of the mix - but the trick is not eating pizza or tacos around vinyl records, i think.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
a couple of drops of Dawn CLEAR will work wonders. It’s used - has been used- for decades to degrease seabirds after (rare these days) oil spills.
I bought some last shopping trip and it works wonders on hands and does not dry out nails and skin.

NormB

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This stuff is good too.

Biokleen Free & Clear Dish Liquid - 50 Ounce - Soap, Dishwashing, Eco-Friendly, Plant-Based, No Artificial Fragrance, Colors or Preservatives, Free & Clear, Unscented https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZY2Z9V?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_5TQSBEA7GFHA61BKFTQE

I use it on our dogs.
Yeah, and our furry friends can get very itchy and sensitive with the wrong detergents and stuff. My ferret was the most sensitive I have ever seen but if done properly with the good stuff she was as happy as could be and frolicking around after a good bath. Very silky shiny fur after using the good stuff.

NormB

Yeah, and our furry friends can get very itchy and sensitive with the wrong detergents and stuff. My ferret was the most sensitive I have ever seen but if done properly with the good stuff she was as happy as could be and frolicking around after a good bath. Very silky shiny fur after using the good stuff.

I’ve had this scalp condition forever - mild seborrhea - I’ve treated with head and shoulders, selsun blue, coal tar shampoo, ketoconazole, steroids and I had been using “Camp Suds” on trips down to our farm in Tennessee the past few years to wash just about everything with and I now use it to wash my hair. Might also be something in the water up in Maryland compared to our well water Here.

I make distilled water (for Neti, cleaning vinyl) and see the residual solids in the kettle from tap water. Scary stuff.

but the Camp suds helps when I’m back - I think - less itching and scale.

might try it on the dogs too.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I make distilled water (for Neti, cleaning vinyl) and see the residual solids in the kettle from tap water. Scary stuff.
Are you using a fractional distillation tower?

NormB

Are you using a fractional distillation tower?
No, this (bought about ten years ago at far less cost but worth every cent) and I run a gallon through it twice for cleaning vinyl or for Neti.

Megahome Countertop Water Distiller Stainless, Glass Collection https://a.co/d/adT12V2

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, this (bought about ten years ago at far less cost but worth every cent) and I run a gallon through it twice for cleaning vinyl or for Neti.

Still Spirits Stainless Steel Turbo Air Still Water Distillation Unit https://a.co/d/96A5Koq
Looks convenient but limited in output. Not sure about your local laws although in Canada if one has a use for distilled water they may own and operate a fractional distillation tower of suitable size and rating. Could run 5 gallons through a 5 foot tower in maybe 4 hours give or take depending on the submerged heating element power rating. If I remember correctly some peeps are getting fantastic turnover times with high output submerged heating elements that are usually used in hot water tanks. Like process 5 gallons in 90 minutes sort of stuff. There is a a huge amount of info online about the fractional distillation tower process and operation. If you want to get really fancy one can pumped down to a strong vacuum in the entire sealed system and then use that to boil the liquid off and have a safe cool running system.

spiral scratch

Thanks for the info. I have camp suds somewhere. I'll take alook around for dawn clear. I guess the concern with these consumer products is the additives, like hand softener, fragrance, etc.

charleski

Major Contributor
the trick is not eating pizza or tacos around vinyl records
rf8e-advertisement-Vinyl-Pizza.jpg

Godataloss

Triton would not remove it with your cleaning pad method? That's surprising. The clear Dawn is a good suggestion in this case.
I’ve had this scalp condition forever - mild seborrhea - I’ve treated with head and shoulders, selsun blue, coal tar shampoo, ketoconazole, steroids and I had been using “Camp Suds” on trips down to our farm in Tennessee the past few years to wash just about everything with and I now use it to wash my hair. Might also be something in the water up in Maryland compared to our well water Here.

but the Camp suds helps when I’m back - I think - less itching and scale.

might try it on the dogs too.
I have used this successfully for years. It balances the PH of your scalp rather than wage war against your microbiome. Had to go to it after the great Nizoral shortage of 2011. This works better than Nizoral ever did at a small fraction of the price. This is a huge bottle (6 month supply for me and I have tons of hair)- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYCUW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dBiz

The Whole Foods Market near my home has bulk dispensed deionized water. I go in with a 5 gallon bucket. I can't remember the price but it was around $0.50/gallon. I haven't had to re-fill recently.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received a new Degritter US cleaner unit to replace the one that was leaking. It's working great. It's such a slick device! And boy is it satisfying to pop an older looking record in the slot and come back to one that looks virtually brand new. Plus it very often does a great job reducing record noise. I'm still amazed how silent lots of my records are (relatively speaking). Last night I was listening to an old synth-based disco record from 1977 that I'd bought second hand that I put through the Degritter wash. The sound was so clear, rich, vivid with tiny instrumental flourishes way back in the mix, or the tiniest little alcoves of reverb being easily heard. Sonically it was a "wow" factor competative with many of my ripped CDs. I continue to be astonished at the amount of sonic information contained in those record grooves!

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just received a new Degritter US cleaner unit to replace the one that was leaking. It's working great. It's such a slick device! And boy is it satisfying to pop an older looking record in the slot and come back to one that looks virtually brand new. Plus it very often does a great job reducing record noise. I'm still amazed how silent lots of my records are (relatively speaking). Last night I was listening to an old synth-based disco record from 1977 that I'd bought second hand that I put through the Degritter wash. The sound was so clear, rich, vivid with tiny instrumental flourishes way back in the mix, or the tiniest little alcoves of reverb being easily heard. Sonically it was a "wow" factor competative with many of my ripped CDs. I continue to be astonished at the amount of sonic information contained in those record grooves!

Happy for you. That's what I always say ... listen to a decent analog system and then tell me it sounds bad.
Inconvenient and expensive? yes and yes.
Embarrassed by digital? Oh no, far from that.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Happy for you. That's what I always say ... listen to a decent analog system and then tell me it sounds bad.
Inconvenient and expensive? yes and yes.
Embarrassed by digital? Oh no, far from that.

Yeah. Admittedly I don't normally think in terms of "The Ritual" for playing vinyl. I never wanted to make cleaning my records a second hobby. And I didn't like all the versions I'd seen, from the cheap spin rinse things to the loud vaccum machines etc. All seemed like a hassle.

But I do notice I have come to enjoy using the Degritter (actually from day one). It's a satisfying device to use. When I want to listen to a record for the first time, I actually enjoy using the Degritter because it's nice looking, I'm interacting with a well-thought-out design that makes everything pretty easy, and as I said the end result is really satisfying, getting that shiny new-looking record in my hands from the washer to put on my turntable.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. Admittedly I don't normally think in terms of "The Ritual" for playing vinyl. I never wanted to make cleaning my records a second hobby. And I didn't like all the versions I'd seen, from the cheap spin rinse things to the loud vaccum machines etc. All seemed like a hassle.

But I do notice I have come to enjoy using the Degritter (actually from day one). It's a satisfying device to use. When I want to listen to a record for the first time, I actually enjoy using the Degritter because it's nice looking, I'm interacting with a well-thought-out design that makes everything pretty easy, and as I said the end result is really satisfying, getting that shiny new-looking record in my hands from the washer to put on my turntable.
Very cool.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some tech info about ultrasonic RCM is ... hard to check, as always with some "new" tech, at least for vinyl cleaning.

The "standard" cavitation with 40khz is stronger and cheaper than at 100 - 120khz (De gritter). But, the cavitation at high frequency is more smooth and uniform.

And also the motors positioning ... "standard" machines have the motors on the bottom and specialized machines have the motors facing to the record with more direct impact (De gritter). That kind of difference explains why De gritter Is much more expensive? (200 USD vs 2K) Maybe yes / no.

What's the motors lifespan? At what time the cavitation will be out of parameters or inefficient?

Obviously every fabricant will say wonders about their product, so you're a little on the fence. At least, me ... until practice and time shows what's the reality with these questions.

Vacuum is supposedly less effective than cavitation. But as always, implementation is more important than theoretical arguments, and a good vacuum implementation seems to be a known and cheap process right now.

Only food for thought.

Last edited:

spiral scratch

Triton would not remove it with your cleaning pad method? That's surprising. The clear Dawn is a good suggestion in this case.

Yeh, it actually made it worse. maybe just need to repeat.

I looked at that "...Aqueous cleaning..." doc again, did a bit of internet searching and found that bases are better for grease removal than acids, so the quaternary cleaners would be the way to go. His method is to use a base first, followed with acid and then trition x-100 for the final clean. He recommends the heavily soiled items get a double dose of base to start.

I looked at the Dawn Clear and it has essential oils added as a selling feature. I know lots of people are happy with dish soap as a record cleaner, but I'm a bit leery of those additives if I'm hoping to clean without other contamination.

Godataloss

I looked at the Dawn Clear and it has essential oils added as a selling feature. I know lots of people are happy with dish soap as a record cleaner, but I'm a bit leery of those additives if I'm hoping to clean without other contamination.
I'd only use Dawn as a pre-clean to my normal cleaning process- usually in the sink flushed by lots of tap water and immediately into the ultrasonic. If you've got a stubborn glob of crap on there, I don't think there is any worry about the Dawn contaminating anything.
Some tech info about ultrasonic RCM is ... hard to check, as always with some "new" tech, at least for vinyl cleaning.

The "standard" cavitation with 40khz is stronger and cheaper than at 100 - 120khz (De gritter). But, the cavitation at high frequency is more smooth and uniform.

And also the motors positioning ... "standard" machines have the motors on the bottom and specialized machines have the motors facing to the record with more direct impact (De gritter). That kind of difference explains why De gritter Is much more expensive? (200 USD vs 2K) Maybe yes / no.

What's the motors lifespan? At what time the cavitation will be out of parameters or inefficient?
I've been using a standard 40hz tank for almost 5 years- approximately 3k records so reliability isn't a concern. I have several friends with these machines and we've had zero failures. I have no idea how positioning the transducers differently would impact cleaning, but I can only see that setup helping with a machine that only cleans one at a time. The ability to clean multiple records (I do three at a time) is a huge advantage. I'm thinking of getting another tank with the frequency sweep function and moving my existing tank to rinse tank duty.

Top Bottom