• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need to clean my LP's?

Godataloss

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just use a microfiber cloth if the record is dirty enough to require physical cleaning before the ultrasonic. If I were to use a brush for cleaning, I'd probably give this one a try- https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MSSTASIS

yes, i think that brush is the same as Record Doctor ... at the same price.
i´ll check the paint pads, i mean, is the more budget option that many (serious) people says it works without damage to the records.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

spiral scratch

I use these for pads. I make my own with a piece of velvet cut to size. I've used microfibre cut to size too. Works about the same for me. It's got a rubber flat and you can change the pads out, so lasts a lifetime.

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 07-53-03 Richard - Hand Sander - Plastic 3.63 x 4 Weeks Home Hardware.png

mike70

spiral scratch

i see is a canadian product ... you can find it in US?
Looks about the same. should be under $10. The one I have (in picture) uses a screw to hold the handle down and clamp the pad. The one you picked looks like a quick release idea. Should work fine as long as the clamp holds up. I use a couple of them, one for cleaning solution and one for rinse. I rinse and vacuum them after use to keep them clean.

mike70

Looks about the same. should be under $10. The one I have (in picture) uses a screw to hold the handle down and clamp the pad. The one you picked looks like a quick release idea. Should work fine as long as the clamp holds up. I use a couple of them, one for cleaning solution and one for rinse. I rinse and vacuum them after use to keep them clean.

i think the Richard model is better, better grip. But, we aren't sanding, so the clamp wouldn't need to be the "hulk version" :D
4 USD ... sounds good to try.

spiral scratch

i think the Richard model is better, better grip. But, we aren't sanding, so the clamp wouldn't need to be the "hulk version" :D
4 USD ... sounds good to try.

good. yeh I think it just needs to be strong enough to hold the cloth in place. the cloth tends to move or stretch a bit with use and needs repositioning. I guess when it's wet it's prone to slipping out. it's cheaper than buying special brushes and a 1/2 yard of fabric has lasted me years with lots to go. depends how often you change the cloth. I tend to use them until the pile is gone, then stick on a new one. I guess a hand held cloth works fine, but I like the broad flat surface contact with the sander and it's a soft rubber pad so works well for me. I tried microfibre and velvet. I prefer the velvet as it doesn't seem to absorb as much liquid, so it stays on the vinyl instead. They both seem to clean well. My understanding is the liquid is the cleaner, not the cloth, so you just need something to spread it out and into the grooves.

mike70

But the ultrasonic have energy powering the cleaning inside the groove (cavitation). You have tiny bubbles exploding and moving the fluid at microscopic level.

In a vacuum cleaning you need something that not only spread the fluid, but also that "moves" the fluid inside the groove (not only on the surface) to force the "detachment" of the dirt.
So, in my opinion, vacuum method needs a decent cloth to the job.

spiral scratch

But the ultrasonic have energy powering the cleaning inside the groove (cavitation). You have tiny bubbles exploding and moving the fluid at microscopic level.

In a vacuum cleaning you need something that not only spread the fluid, but also that "moves" the fluid inside the groove (not only on the surface) to force the "detachment" of the dirt.
So, in my opinion, vacuum method needs a decent cloth to the job.
maybe, but I think that's the job of the surfactant, to break the surface tension of the water and allow it to penetrate. I don't dispute that a decent cloth is a good idea. I've found velvet has a nice nap that allows for good distribution and doesn't carry away too much fluid. I use a small amount of pressure and run the brush forward and backwards to lightly scrub, in an effort to agitate the fluid and move it into the grooves. The records are very clean afterwards so I have no reason to think it's not working.

mike70

maybe, but I think that's the job of the surfactant, to break the surface tension of the water and allow it to penetrate. I don't dispute that a decent cloth is a good idea. I've found velvet has a nice nap that allows for good distribution and doesn't carry away too much fluid. I use a small amount of pressure and run the brush forward and backwards to lightly scrub, in an effort to agitate the fluid and move it into the grooves. The records are very clean afterwards so I have no reason to think it's not working.
Oh, yes, it works ... but try to only spread the fluid superficially and then tell me.

Also, to be fair, many people says that cavitation is bad for superficial dirt, that fingerprints aren't cleaned without a previous manual cleaning

Godataloss

Detergents form micellae which pull apart the contaminants. This is another reason not to use alcohol- it inhibits micelle formation.

spiral scratch

Oh, yes, it works ... but try to only spread the fluid superficially and then tell me.
well this is basically how the vpi machines work, right? it has a squeegee that spreads liquid over the surface and then vacuums it up. people use these machines, I haven't heard anyone say it doesn't work effectively.

Anyways, I'm not really sure what you're driving at here.

mike70

well this is basically how the vpi machines work, right? it has a squeegee that spreads liquid over the surface and then vacuums it up. people use these machines, I haven't heard anyone say it doesn't work effectively.

the better the method to reach deeply in the grooves ... the better the cleaning. that´s all.
it isn´t 0% or 100%.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Also, to be fair, many people says that cavitation is bad for superficial dirt, that fingerprints aren't cleaned without a previous manual cleaning
I do find that the Humminguru does not always remove fingerprints. My microfiber cloth (with detergent) does. But the ultrasonic cleans deep in the groove far better.

Godataloss

I have a friend that gets very good results with the vpi machine. It's kind of unpleasant to use if you have a lot of records to clean though.

NormB

I bought a 3-transducer unit from Amazon

Anbull 6.5L Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner Machine with 304 Stainless Steel and Digital Timer Heater for Jewelry Watch Coin Glass Circuit Board Dentures Small Parts https://a.co/d/aPkcdAQ

and a spinner which holds two discs.

WEWU ROUNDS 12" LP 7" EP Vinyl Records Bracket for 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner Simple Version(No Ultrasonic Cleaner) https://a.co/d/d1gJb2F

YUGE difference in surface noise. I still use an original Discwasher (from gramophones and things in Monterey from 1978), fluid I make, also use a carbon fiber brush for touch-up.

odd, since changing cartridges from an Ortofon 2M black to a Benz micro SL MC vinyl is quieter, music richer.

lot more sound in those grooves than I’d imagined and less noise.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
also use a carbon fiber brush for touch-up.
Do you notice a improvement using the carbon fiber brush? I used a carbon fiber mat when I was into the phono stuff and it helped too.

NormB

Do you notice a improvement using the carbon fiber brush? I used a carbon fiber mat when I was into the phono stuff and it helped too.

I did before using the smaller line contact stylus of the Benz, after ultrasound cleaning there’s still some dust around.

my wife owns a Cockatoo- that fine white powder gets all over the house even with the basement sound room not on the same HVAC system.

I have a 1973 copy of Fripp and Eno’s No Pussyfooting I listened to the other night and start to finish there was ONE pop on the disc.

I’ve been playing this disc off and on for fifty years. Quietest it’s ever been.

Call it ritual, but I’ll stick with it.

Top Bottom