• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I Need an Audio Interface?

HionHiFi

Do I need an audio interface (AI)? That’s the question I’ve been asking myself. What are some of ways you use your AI?

Here are a few use cases I’ve come up with...
As a mic preamp.
DAC/ADC
Audio Interface

Any other use cases? Help me see what I’m missing here.

I have an opportunity to get a MOTU UltraLite MK4 for a very good deal. I’m just at a loss for how to use it in my system.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Do I need an audio interface (AI)? That’s the question I’ve been asking myself. What are some of ways you use your AI?

As a mic preamp.
DAC/ADC
Audio Interface

I have an opportunity to get a MOTU UltraLite MK4 for a very good deal. I’m just at a loss for how to use it in my system.

What a hilarious question, and one I can relate to perfectly. What of course is need after all...?

I'm probably the last guy to give sound advice on this, but if it looks like it might be fun to play with, I will usually end up with it. I have a motu 896 I got after asking the same questions, and so far am not even close to understanding what this thing can do, but am enjoying what I can as I go along and figure out what else I can do with it.

Same with the 2 other motu boxes, the DEQ 2496, the QA401...and a not insignificant pile of other misc pieces of what looked fun. If it's a tight budget issue, that's different...but if you're just looking for something specific to justify it, i'd just get it and enjoy the hobby...

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use mine (Lexicon I-Onix U22) in my system but on my workbench as a measurement interface. I have an old but decent laptop connected to it, and run REW, ARTA, RMAA, VA64, SoundcardScope and anything else I fancy for measurements. It also makes a very good recording interface for recording off the radio, like the BBC proms each summer if for some reason I can't do a stream-capture.

I also use it for live Outside Broadcasts for our local radio station, and for recording live bands. All in all, a very versatile device. If you can get one at a decent price, go for it even if you can't think of an immediate use. That'll come.

S.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

As a mic preamp.
DAC/ADC
Audio Interface

• Headphone amp
  • EQ (if available - hint: RME)
  • Measure other equipment
  • Measurements for room EQ with proper mic
  • rip analog recordings
  • digitize MC pickups directly to perform RIAA correction in software

OP
HionHiFi

HionHiFi

What a hilarious question, and one I can relate to perfectly. What of course is need after all...?

I'm probably the last guy to give sound advice on this, but if it looks like it might be fun to play with, I will usually end up with it. I have a motu 896 I got after asking the same questions, and so far am not even close to understanding what this thing can do, but am enjoying what I can as I go along and figure out what else I can do with it.

Same with the 2 other motu boxes, the DEQ 2496, the QA401...and a not insignificant pile of other misc pieces of what looked fun. If it's a tight budget issue, that's different...but if you're just looking for something specific to justify it, i'd just get it and enjoy the hobby...
Yeah, I had a smile on my face when I posted the question. It’s like what the heck can I use this thing for? I know it’s a useful device just wasn’t sure in what way for me.

OP
HionHiFi

HionHiFi

• Headphone amp
  • EQ (if available - hint: RME)
  • Measure other equipment
  • Measurements for room EQ with proper mic
  • rip analog recordings
  • digitize MC pickups directly to perform RIAA correction in software
Good suggestions LTig. Of those listed I’d really only use the EQ and measurement functions.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
HionHiFi

HionHiFi

Don't you need some microphone suggestions now?

https://www.amazon.com/CAD-M179-Variable-Pattern-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0002D0N70

These are good to use for not much money. Multi-pattern, and sound pretty good without breaking the bank. The treble does get a bit too hot in omni mode, but EQ's out. A pair of them are very versatile until you can develop your own snobbish opinions about microphones.
Nice mic. Out of my price range but thank you for the recommendation.

Top Bottom