• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need a streamer?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm lost...Are you talking about your Internet connection?

I have a bunch of Chromecast Audio pucks, which act as either digital or analog streamers, and one is connected to each system. I can send anything to any one of them, or whatever combination of zones I want.

They normally sold for $30, but after they discontinued them they were getting rid of them on closeout at 2x$30 - delivered, so I bought a bunch more then so I'd never run out.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Me, personally, I'm willing to go big or go home on my streamers.

$55 for Pi 4.

Yeah, I'm kind of a whale.

Nicolaas

I have a bunch of Chromecast Audio pucks, which act as either digital or analog streamers, and one is connected to each system. I can send anything to any one of them, or whatever combination of zones I want.

They normally sold for $30, but after they discontinued them they were getting rid of them on closeout at 2x$30 - delivered, so I bought a bunch more then so I'd never run out.
Thanks, I saw the link provided by Chrispy so I get what you were hinting to!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed an 42 inch HD plasma screen and still going strong. Although those 4 k LG Oled evo panels are tempting!
Don't plug my CCAs into my plasmas but sure is handy for a variety of other uses, one primarily being the ability to play same stream simultaneously thru all of them, altho similar functionality in other apps is catching up I think I've seen. I'll stick with my plasmas until they die, then hopefully some killer OLED choices at that point, think they still have a ways to go.

Transmaniacon

Indeed an 42 inch HD plasma screen and still going strong. Although those 4 k LG Oled evo panels are tempting!
I’ve got a Samsung Plasma downstairs and it still looks fantastic when it’s dark. I want to make the jump to 4K but it’s expensive when you need a new AV receiver and blu ray player as well…

Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Possibly less so between 4K HDR content and UHD Blu Ray and 1080P content and standard Blu Ray. Though there's still times when the lack of bitrate is obvious, the convenience factor generally trumps it.
Yeah hitting play and not putting in a disc is nice, but for me the difference in sound quality is worth it. I don’t think many streaming services
(If any) can pass hi-res audio formats like DTS-MA, and the sound difference over Dolby Digital streams is absolutely worth it to me.

Nicolaas

Yeah hitting play and not putting in a disc is nice, but for me the difference in sound quality is worth it. I don’t think many streaming services
(If any) can pass hi-res audio formats like DTS-MA, and the sound difference over Dolby Digital streams is absolutely worth it to me.
Ah that makes sense. I only have 2 channel audio via my D90...

Willem

Major Contributor
Most audio systems in our home use a CCA, including the main system, where the CCA is connected digitally to an external DAC (RME ADI-2). Our desktop systems use the computers to stream audio. For that, a silent fanless computer is nice (for me a NUC with a 10th generation i7 in an AKASA case). The TV is still a Panasonic plasma, playing Blurays, cable TV or a video Chromecast. I will move to a modern TV screen once the plasma screen dies, or when there is meaningful content. TV audio is through my main stereo system.

Last edited:

SaltyCDogg

You're right, it's often Dolby Digital+ with Atmos built on Disney+ etc, around 768kbs I think, it's decent, but not the very best.

The jump from my old plasma to my OLED was the best purchase I've ever made though. Love it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
A network streamer is a SoM containing network and WiFi along with CPU/DSP DAC and transport (Optical/coaxial/HDMI...). There are high integrated SoC's with everything integrated (TWS mobile SoC's...) or boards with picked up IC's to form the SoM. Basically it's any network card (with added DAC). As the name suggests it's job is to stream and buffer original content from source to target and not to alter it in any way and widely used is DLNA open standard for the purposes. This is very different from Bluetooth audio transmission where source is transcoded on the flight to lo complexity loosy BT codec and decoded by target. I personally devide them to embedded and application oriented ones. Chances are your old smartphone is much more advanced streamer than what they sold you as deticated one. Things that make a difference are software and software. That's why Pi board's are such popular choice (even they are bad for the purpose). The most important part of streaming system is central rooter (excluding direct WiFi streaming and of course for international point to point streaming) or better say its constant operating bandwidth it can sustain and QOS (requests handling under pressure).
Currently there are zero quality solutions which would obtain a good network component and everything else including software stack that is good. Worst by my experience would be those with Qualcomm and Brodcom net component's, Cisco and Huawei and (same thing) ware both bad and with horrible software, from mainstream and cheap (arguably those with good support and maintained open stack are not exactly cheap) so far Intel did good and we will see how MTK will do (no high hopes there). So simply buy what ever work's best for you and costs the least.

OP
L
Would anyone be so kind to explain to me the "jargon" of streamer seller about the PC producing bad "jitter" and need more precise "clock"? I know how master clock in studio work, like Grimm CC1. But does PC need a "reclocker", or is PC producing some kind of jitter or noise that needed to be taken care of by some "audio-purpose PC" (which is the streamer)?

Top Bottom