• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need a HPF for 2.1 nearfield listening? Anti-Mode 8033-II thoughts?

Bleo

TLDR;
How much performance am I leaving on the table if I don't HPF LS50 Meta's for nearfield music listening? Can I run the Anti-Mode 8033-II without a HPF or will that be bad?

For a desktop 2.1 setup with no AVR/dedicated sub output do I need a HPF? The forum often recommends one, especially with the ls50 meta's that I have on the way. Unfortunately it seems the only way to add such a thing is with a pretty large F12 sub from rythmik, or a minidsp 2x4HD. I was hoping to get away with the much smaller svs 3000 micro as the speakers sit on my desk and the sub lives under it. This sub has no HPF.

I'm interested in the Anti-Mode 8033-II as a way to EQ the bass as I often listen to bass heavy music loud but want to minimize the boom from the sub being placed in the corner under a desk! I'm not sure how the Anti-Mode 8033-II will affect my speakers without a HPF though? The simplicity of this device is extremely appealing.

After spending quite a few hours watching youtube videos and reading the minidsp manual I'm not terribly excited about jumping into that world. I'm still thoroughly confused and the guides i've found skip key steps assuming I already know them but i'm a dummy that knows nothing! I grasp how to use it purely to setup the HPF I would want but it feels like a lot of money to achieve only that function. I don't want to end up needing to buy it AND the Anti-Mode 8033-II.

Thanks for any help!

MeZoX

without the HPF you wouldnt be able to get a proper bass response without making your system sounding muddy

I advice you to get a studio sub if you want to save money , I have the KRK10S2 sub and it sounds pretty good for its price , you can find it for almost 300$ at sale and it has an integrated HPF and LPF

Attachments

• 10s.png
    10s.png
    285.8 KB · Views: 56

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with @MeZoX. It was very easy to add the PreSonus Sub8 into my desktop setup. My Topping EX5 connects to the Sub8 via balanced TRS, the Sub8 high passes the signal at 80hz going through to the iLoud MTMs (also via balanced TRS). iLoud have just added a 80hz DSP filter to the MTM's with the latest firmware update, so I have that set as well. I must get around to measuring it all and recalculating the room correction all again...

*edit* and welcome to ASR!

OP
B

Bleo

Thank you both for the replies I very much appreciate the guidance. I went ahead and ordered a minidsp DDRC-24 with UMIK-1. I figure this way I can get the outputs needed for the HPF and can attempt to go further with REW + the PEQ built into my svs 3000 micro and since paying a bit extra for dirac I can experiment with it.

It doesn't seem like dirac in this instance does anything for bass management so i'm not really sure if this was the best choice given my setup and perhaps I threw money away purchasing the DDRC-24 over the 2x4HD? I also see that dirac can be purchased as a pure software implementation for windows and they have a bass management addtion, perhaps that combined with a mindsp 2x4hd would be best? So many options. so much confusion!

Top Bottom