• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do high-efficiency speakers really have better 'dynamics'?

Tom Danley

Technical Expert
Audio Company
That is entirely plausible. Which I can not give a definitive answer to. I do think there is something more to it. I would be nice to determine exactly what it is causing or making this difference in dynamic range appear to happen. Would be nice if some speaker designers will chime and give their technical thoughts on the matter.
I have, look for my posts that mention Modulation Transfer Function, for a loudspeaker, it's essentially the degree the sound can start and stop -or- the difference (dynamics) between the on and off periods of the modulation.

What is more dynamic something that has a large or small difference between when on at 100% or off 100%?
The MTF (at 7 frequencies in the voice spectrum) is what is used to make a language independent prediction of voice intelligibility (STIpa) in the industry i design in.
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

gnarly

Major Contributor
Hi Tom, thank you (and from all of us i'm sure) for your continuing comments.
And Hi forum,

I had a brief chance to play with STIpa outdoors a few weeks ago, trying to learn about the role of MTF in perhaps explaining the new level of perceived clarity in my DIY synergies.
Mic distance was about 3m away, off a fairly open deck. Wow, i didn't know know the STI sweeps had to be at least 1.6 seconds long, and timing wasn't right to subject the neighborhood to too much of it. So brief is all i got.

Anyway, here is what Smaart calculated.....which made me very happy...although admittedly i don't really even know what the good score means or how to continue testing with STIpa on a single speaker, other than turn up the volume and see how long it holds up.
syn9x75 bms full STI.JPG

And REW gave this for THD, (but again at only fairly low SPL).
syn9x75 thd outsub bms.jpg

I guess the next test that seems to make sense, will be to STIpa measure two different DIY builds at the same time.
Builds that have the same freq, phase, and distortion response; and that i think i hear a difference in their clarity.
I'd love to get a repeatable difference of some kind that correlates with my ears.

tuga

Major Contributor
Some of that happens with line arrays and similar "floor to ceiling speakers". Less reflections in poorly controlled room and more detail can result.

It also happens with multi-way horns, which produce constant narrow dispersion over the most of the audio spectrum (I would expect the Trio model to have negligible flare in the crossover regions).

10-UNO-hor-1024x683.jpg

11-UNO-ver-1024x683.jpg

https://www.fidelity-online.de/avantgarde-acoustic-uno-xd-messungen/

709AGUfig5.jpg

Avantgarde Uno Nano, lateral response family at 50", normalized to response on optimal axis, from back to front: differences in response 90–5° off axis, reference response, differences in response 5–90° off axis.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/avantgarde-acoustic-uno-nano-loudspeaker-measurements

carewser

unless they have incredibly low power handling, yes

kyle_neuron

I'm always about coming up with objective ways to measure and test hypotheses, so air pressure measurements would show this, right?
You need velocity and pressure, at coincident points, to calculate the acoustic impedance. It then helps to normalise that complex value per frequency by the specific impedance of the medium (air) and the radiating surface area to allow for easier comparisons.

There's a 'magic wand' for this. It's called a Microflown, and costs £10k+ :)

The common method is to mount the object on a plane wave tube, and measure pressure at multiple points along the inner side walls before carrying out transfer function measurements between the data. An (ideal) transducer is used to drive the tube. There is a cool toy that can be bolted to speaker boxes, using a graphene driver and built in mics to measure the rear of the sealed driving enclosure, and the opening to the decide under test, but it's also expensive.

This works because you can deduce the particle velocity between two measurements of complex values pressure across a virtual plane, with some accuracy, if the mics are perfectly matched and there’s otherwise equivalent radiation conditions in all coplanar directions.

The easiest way to do this in modern times is with an Ambisonic or A-format mic. It isn’t amazingly accurate especially at all frequencies, but you can get a good picture with relative ease using say a Tetramic and four equal / matched mic preamps. That only gives the radiation impedance at that point though; you’d need to do this across the surface of a horn or driver to be sure.

The other option for direct radiators is to mount an accelerometer and mic capsule on the cone, then apply some integral calculus to determine a mean value for the radiator. Or use a laser vibrometer, like the Klippel attachment.

If you have the acoustic impedance at the throat, port, radiator, and listening position etc then you can determine the transfer impedance, including the room air load itself. That applies even in an anechoic room.

This is pretty far into 'lab work' though, not really the sort of thing you'd do for most end user cases. A good design will have this stuff considered way ahead of that, even if only using the 'simple' analytical cases for a rigid piston in infinite baffle, or flanged tube, etc.

I can recommend some acoustics texts if you're curious but be warned, it is heavy stuff.

kyle_neuron

Of course, where they add in-phase the summation will be +6 dB, and elsewhere something less. I knew that... just didn't apply it. Thank you for taking the time to explain something I should have realized on my own!

Interesting 3-D plot, I've only seen "slices" of it, saved it for future reference.

THANKS!!
Remember a good rule of thumb is that each time you double the mutually coupled radiating area (a factor of 1.4) then you also shift the highest frequency of coupling down by the inverse factor (multiply by 0.7) so there are diminishing returns doing this.

From a good summary of sound radiation by Eargle for the AES:
1636580215536.png

It's one reason why a big array of direct-radiating subwoofers ends up sounding 'deep' at the expense of a clean impulsive kick drum - there's a significant tonal shift from the reliance on mutual coupling.

What’s real fun is that recent research shows this same effect also happens with a dense crowd in front of subs at a concert (outdoors) - the bodies have their own acoustic impedance which is imparted onto the subwoofer output, so it can become quite pronounced.

No free lunches in audio :)

Sorry for the double post!

fineMen

Major Contributor
Remember a good rule of thumb is that each time you ...
At this point I think a short intermission is in order. This thread started with a question:

The question seems to be answered with "yes" implicitly. Sufficiently many people jumped on the bandwagon to optimize or better to say totalize the idea of a high efficiency speaker, so searching out for more, total dynamics as to optimize their daily stereo experience at home.

Or, one might see this as an effort to prepare for an actual, critical listening test. The other side of the comparison is missing, though. What would be the least efficient speaker? One might even argue, whether the high efficiency side is actually of high efficiency, or is only capable of big output due to big appetite for amp-power.

With one or the other interpretation, where is this going to, with all its enthusiasm? Thanks a lot!

kyle_neuron

At this point I think a short intermission is in order. This thread started with a question:

The question seems to be answered with "yes" implicitly. Sufficiently many people jumped on the bandwagon to optimize or better to say totalize the idea of a high efficiency speaker, so searching out for more, total dynamics as to optimize their daily stereo experience at home.

Or, one might see this as an effort to prepare for an actual, critical listening test. The other side of the comparison is missing, though. What would be the least efficient speaker? One might even argue, whether the high efficiency side is actually of high efficiency, or is only capable of big output due to big appetite for amp-power.

With one or the other interpretation, where is this going to, with all its enthusiasm? Thanks a lot!
My personal experience fully agrees with your summary. The short answer is 'yes', the longer answer perhaps has some caveats and of course, interesting conflicts of opinion or theory as to the 'why'. That's the fun part though, right?

Like so many things, this is something I really wanted to test for a dissertation topic. I was explicitly interested in subwoofers, but mains would have been of interest too. Unfortunately, controlled listening tests are hard to run 'properly' (as in good, repeatable, trustworthy science) when you aren't in a pandemic let alone in the past year :(

This is one particular test where you kind of need the physical boxes in place, and can't really use recorded impulse responses or samples on headphones with the same level of effect, in my opinion. At the very least, you'd want to do that typical method and compare to the subjective results from a double-blind, randomised order test using the same subjects with the real thing.

Sadly I no longer have free access to a hemi-anechoic chamber, which would have allowed for control of the 'directivity' aspect that's also been a part of the discussion. I'm also on the other side of a big pond to the majority of people here, too!

However, I'd be happy to offer help & advice on doing it in the 'accepted science' format, both test design / data gathering and processing / reporting if someone was perhaps up for arranging an ASR 'meetup' somewhere in the future, with this (and perhaps other tests) as part of the experience? Sadly the 'boring stuff' is super important if you want the data to be of any real worth, and to hold up under scrutinity - which it will be subjected to a lot of. Things like ensuring the speakers under test are level matched to within a fraction of a decibel, even equalised to the same axial magnitude response within a given frequency range like 200 Hz - 3 kHz, and all at equal distances to boundaries. Stuff like where the listener will stand, how you'll make sure they get (and stay) in that general position, how the switching is done - perhaps asking them to rotate to look at the new speaker location, using an indicator LED? When and how do you gather their feedback - after each sample, or all at once at the end? How does that affect the data, and how do you weight accordingly based on that, listener 'experience', age, hearing condition, etc etc etc...

Depending on dates, perhaps I could even look at tying in a visit to some Stateside pals at the same time to attend and help run the thing... have mics, will travel :)

fineMen

Major Contributor
...Things like ensuring the speakers under test are level matched to within a fraction of a decibel, even equalised to ...
Yo, I still think someone who issues bold claims should find an own way to prove them. Vice versa I don't think science should follow down "experienced stereo users" into every rabbit hole. Such all too friendly move has proven to be unrewarding to the max.

But, please go ahead. Sorry for interferring.

kyle_neuron

Yo, I still think someone who issues bold claims should find an own way to prove them. Vice versa I don't think science should follow down "experienced stereo users" into every rabbit hole. Such all too friendly move has proven to be unrewarding to the max.

But, please go ahead. Sorry for interferring.

Sorry, it seems you may have read my comment the wrong way, I was agreeing with you! Also merely trying to expand on a way that you (plural, aka the community) could test this experimentally.

The problem with experiments is that when you have lots of variables, that all change between samples, the data isn’t able to produce clear conclusions that are easy to defend against criticism.

Of course, you can always do the test again with less “matching” and see if the results are similar, but if you don’t have a controlled test as a base line it makes life very difficult. Statistics is the horrible part in my experience - but it’s crucial to disprove the null hypothesis. I fell afoul of this on another listening test when there was simply so much data that it took forever to do all the pair-wise comparisons, linear regressions and the like with the relevant corrections or weightings.

There's no reason why a scientifically 'correct' test process can't also be a fun day out, if well planned :)

Count me one. From your avatar I know what I am about to get, I am ready for hell!!!!!!:eek:

Edit: Here we go :)

First up, this is a good open-access paper reviewing the various methods to measure acoustic impedance - plenty of diagrams and relatively light on equations:

The two ISO standards give a bit more insight into plane-wave tube methods:

For general acoustics knowledge, I'd recommend these as a starter - they're fairly 'plain English' with lots of photos or diagrams. Sadly, there's no getting away from the maths in this stuff, but these books aren't just walls of symbols, I promise!

If you'd like more of the raw stuff, then these are a few of the classics:

For 'general audio' references, you can't go far wrong with these:

It's always good to have some stuff on how/why we hear what we actually do:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/9780240521756/acoustics-and-psychoacoustics (I really recommend this one, it's brilliant!)

And some other 'related' books I recently found useful or enjoyed:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noise-Human-History-Sound-Listening/dp/1781250901 (this is good holiday read)

Of course I think everyone here is familiar enough with Toole & Olive's book that I don't need to post it!

That little lot should keep your birthday and Christmas lists full for a while :)

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
The problem with experiments is that when you have lots of variables, that all change between samples, the data isn’t able to produce clear conclusions that are easy to defend against criticism.
O/k, I still don't get it. We've got a bold claim, which to begin with isn't in any way specific. Clarification wasn't supported. Instead one side of the story was worked out, namely the very much most efficient speaker was identified. You and others supported the enthusiastic community in this quest.

So, how to proceed now? Is it agreed that You personally take the effort to set-up and process the test of the original claim of an anonymous experienced audiophile?

I'm just curious and I'm pretty sure I missed a thing or two. If You need somebody to peer review the result, I would say I'm qualified (see me waving my papers ...)

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Remember a good rule of thumb is that each time you double the mutually coupled radiating area (a factor of 1.4) then you also shift the highest frequency of coupling down by the inverse factor (multiply by 0.7) so there are diminishing returns doing this.

From a good summary of sound radiation by Eargle for the AES:
View attachment 164606

It's one reason why a big array of direct-radiating subwoofers ends up sounding 'deep' at the expense of a clean impulsive kick drum - there's a significant tonal shift from the reliance on mutual coupling.

What’s real fun is that recent research shows this same effect also happens with a dense crowd in front of subs at a concert (outdoors) - the bodies have their own acoustic impedance which is imparted onto the subwoofer output, so it can become quite pronounced.

No free lunches in audio :)

Sorry for the double post!
Very interesting! It's easy to intuit that the mutual coupling loses effectiveness as frequency goes up but it's clarifying to see it graphed out. I'm using four 18" woofers in corner horn cabinets stacked to the ceiling with a crossover up at 300Hz. This does go deep for a front loaded horn setup but does not produce a clean impulsive kick drum like I've heard form other systems, which is a disappointment and maybe related to this coupling issue. Recently I put absorption in the mouths of the two outer horns (upper and bottom) to deal with a cancelation that was happening at 75Hz. This had the inadvertent effect of absorbing the upper end output of those outer horns so now only the two middle horns are producing most of the upper end of their passband. With the EQ readjusted I think it sounds a little cleaner and punchier that way.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do high-efficiency speakers have better dynamics? About 33% of the time, yes. History shows high efficiency usually comes at the cost of a jagged FR. Thus if the destination note of an expressive figure hits at a FR peak, dynamics are literally expanded, by many dB in a typical case. If it hits at a FR trough, then the speaker is a compressor. In the middle, it's the same as any other speaker. Or is that thinking too simplistic?

Richard Berg

This is one particular test where you kind of need the physical boxes in place, and can't really use recorded impulse responses or samples on headphones with the same level of effect, in my opinion. At the very least, you'd want to do that typical method and compare to the subjective results from a double-blind, randomised order test using the same subjects with the real thing.

...Things like ensuring the speakers under test are level matched to within a fraction of a decibel, even equalised to the same axial magnitude response within a given frequency range like 200 Hz - 3 kHz, and all at equal distances to boundaries. Stuff like where the listener will stand, how you'll make sure they get (and stay) in that general position, how the switching is done - perhaps asking them to rotate to look at the new speaker location, using an indicator LED? When and how do you gather their feedback - after each sample, or all at once at the end? How does that affect the data, and how do you weight accordingly based on that, listener 'experience', age, hearing condition, etc etc etc...

How about taking a single speaker that's "known" to be efficient in the desireable way(s), and reducing its efficiency via electronic means? That would remove a ton of variables from the equation.

If we believe that the source of "better dynamics" is the physical coupling of the box-n-drivers to the room's atmospheric pressure, rather than the raw watts-per-dB capability of the box as a whole, then this test should produce a null result. Either way, we'd learn something...

fineMen

Major Contributor
How about taking a single speaker that's "known" to be efficient ...
To learn the slightest, You have to define the other end, namely the least effcient speaker. This is all so illogical. Why is my personal experience, that the claim of "more efficient == more dynamic" is not true, overtly dismissed?! Really, I've got specimen ranging from 80dB/Watt up to 100+dB/Watt in comparison. No difference between, nothing to backup the claim.

I state the missing difference, and I like You to acknowledge it. The other "audiophile" is plain wrong. What do You think about it?!

KSTR

Major Contributor
How about taking a single speaker that's "known" to be efficient in the desireable way(s), and reducing its efficiency via electronic means? That would remove a ton of variables from the equation.

If we believe that the source of "better dynamics" is the physical coupling of the box-n-drivers to the room's atmospheric pressure, rather than the raw watts-per-dB capability of the box as a whole, then this test should produce a null result. Either way, we'd learn something...
IHMO that doesn't work out.
To reduce efficiency you must do that in the driver proper, you cannot fake it from the outside. But when you do you alter the driver parameters and it's (nonlinear) error mechanisms --> not the same driver.

Personally I do like the perceived more dynamic sound of many high-efficiency drivers but I'm far from convinced this has much to do with effciency itself...

Richard Berg

To learn the slightest, You have to define the other end, namely the least effcient speaker. This is all so illogical. Why is my personal experience, that the claim of "more efficient == more dynamic" is not true, overtly dismissed?! Really, I've got specimen ranging from 80dB/Watt up to 100+dB/Watt in comparison. No difference between, nothing to backup the claim.

I state the missing difference, and I like You to acknowledge it. The other "audiophile" is plain wrong. What do You think about it?!
If you want to propose your own test methodology, go ahead.

Nobody has claimed that any one test will reveal everything there is to know about speaker preferences.

Richard Berg

IHMO that doesn't work out.
To reduce efficiency you must do that in the driver proper, you cannot fake it from the outside. But when you do you alter the driver parameters and it's (nonlinear) error mechanisms --> not the same driver.

Personally I do like the perceived more dynamic sound of many high-efficiency drivers but I'm far from convinced this has much to do with effciency itself...
So you agree with me that my test should produce a null result?

That makes 1 prediction for and 1 against, so far -- good evidence that the test is worth running!

Top Bottom