• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do glasses make a difference

Rodney Gold

I have found that what I hear with and without glasses to be different
On another forum it is suggested that im talking rubbish. Jim smith's get better sound book recommends removal of glasses when listening..that caused the "discussion"..
I think the frame and glass change how music hits your ears and that the arms pressure slightly changes the ears shape.
I litsen critically without glasses.
Thoughts?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Requires a blind test :cool:

I often take mine of when listening, the fuzzy world reduces the visual stimulation, helps me drift into the music. I don't hear a difference, and I've considered it before.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
It seems possible that glasses could slightly change your HRTF measurably and audibly. But, so could wearing a hat, preferably one made of tin.

I listen with glasses on to both live and recorded music.

I once fell for an audiophile tweak, a pair of nice, glove leather ear "extenders". Each fit easily on the ear, giving a side extension like holding a cupped hand to your ears. I wasn't that impressed. But, an elderly friend complained about his hearing whenever we went to Metropolitan Opera performances together. I gave them to him, and he absolutely loved them. He though they made a big difference for him live. He also used them at home for listening, and he was forever grateful to me, slightly weird though they looked. But, in the dark in the Met audience, no one noticed.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually listen with a glass in my hand, generally filled either with a fine red wine, or a single malt. Either enhances my listening pleasure considerably.
S.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I once fell for an audiophile tweak, a pair of nice, glove leather ear "extenders". Each fit easily on the ear, giving a side extension like holding a cupped hand to your ears.
I remember them, you're really dating yourself Fitz

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wear my spectacles to drive, and then keep them on wherever it is I went, then take them off when I get home.

I put them on for "critical" TV watching, but don't notice a sound difference (it hasn't occurred to me since the last time somebody asked the question).

I just now put them on and took them off again.

Meh.

Being rather immune to the higher frequencies makes me ineligible as a contestant in many listening exercises, so...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The glasses make a measurable difference to the sound, but we don't notice it because we 'hear through' the glasses :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yeah, mine are transparent.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
On another forum it is suggested that im talking rubbish. Jim smith's get better sound book recommends removal of glasses when listening..that caused the "discussion"..
I think the frame and glass change how music hits your ears and that the arms pressure slightly changes the ears shape.
I litsen critically without glasses.
Thoughts?

I wear prescription glasses, and for strictly music listening I always remove them. They would distract me if I keep them on.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
dont worry about it, but maybe get some contact lenses just to be sure though :D

Thomas, some people cannot wear contact lenses. I had an eye injury years ago, and nothing can fix it, it's right in the middle of my left iris, a scratch.

Blind people make for best music listeners.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What sort of glasses? I suspect the ones on the left impact the sound more than the ones on the right... Ask Elton? For that matter, ask @RayDunzl how the sound compares using the glasses in his avatar compared to taking them off. :)

tumblr_mrmbodqROE1st208eo1_500.jpg
elton-john.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thoughts?

Perhaps that pressure and shape shifting can actually improve the sound quality?

I can understand for headphone listening, this might be an issue (at least comfort-wise), but with so much going on with the room etc,... really?

Btw, this thread should be deleted. Otherwise some audiophile company is going to take this idea and make audiophile grade glasses and sell them for thousands of dollars.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
You can kill the room, the reverb, the music atmosphere, the live essence, ...by using cans and escape. You get more into the recording that way. It's a good way to monitor music recordings. Musicians wear cans to monitor the mixes.

Some rock music stars wear shades when performing on stage, even @ night, so they don't go blind from those bright spotlights.

Some singers wear a single earpiece, and a mic attached to their head.

I wear my glasses @ live music concerts, to see the artists dancing with the music, or reading music sheets. @ home too for video music shows on Blu-ray, or DVD, or on Netflix, ...

For CDs, LPs, computer music, internet music cafe without pics, no glasses for critical listening, only for less critical when I want to see the wildlife and the mountains outside the walls, doors and windows.

I took a bus ride the other day, in downtown Victoria. Half the people were wearing glasses, headphones and looking @ their phones. The other half without glasses and looking through the bus windows. Only one conversation, between two elders...a man and a woman.

Top Bottom