• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do experts shower?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
How do we clean connectors?

Do we clean them?

Do we have to clean them?

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
He would not be my first choice for a source of correct information.

I've attended a couple of his "demonstrations," which were medicine-show level hucksterism, peddling "theories" of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics unknown to actual physicists. My questions were answered by him telling me several times that his investors were aggressive litigation attorneys.

I will admit to using home-brewed Cramolin, and LPS contact cleaner, mostly because I got them for no cost. :cool: And their main use is repair and restoration of old gear. But I also don't do a lot of plugging and unplugging in my main system.

Eirikur

Apparently you can even reduce distortion of the CD medium, and of course a better sound stage
One brilliant comment got a serious answer: Another little trick is to drill little holes by the hole in the middle... on the bit of the CD with no info on it. That brings out sharpness, more detail, better bass. I've been doing that to my CDs for years..
Rick Schultz: Have to give that a try, how many little holes do you drill? About what size, does it matter?

I think we've had all the advise we need from Rick, and remember not to stick those q-tips where they don't belong.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a much better way to do this that doesn't cost a penny. Rub your finger real good behind your ears. There is oil there for free. Get your finger good and oily from that. You can smell your finger to be sure you picked up enough. Then just rub your finger around the circumference of the CD and you are golden! I guarantee it will work as well as the pen he is using.

The other benefit is that it won't get your fingernail as it did on his. Won't smell as bad either.

The only negative is you have to keep the CD away from your dogs. They love to lick the back of your ears because of the oil. They will do the same with these treated discs.

Eirikur

The only negative is you have to keep the CD away from your dogs. They love to lick the back of your ears because of the oil. They will do the same with these treated discs.

Well, have I got something for you: possibly the best video on cleaning CDs

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
How many hours and days of wasted time...

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I cracked up when he tried to use a drill with a q-tip to stick in the RCA jack....

I think he should stick it in his ear. THAT would be something I would want to see.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, have I got something for you: possibly the best video on cleaning CDs
Not much surprises me in high-end audio but this one did. How deep can you sink in the hole....

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning

That explains my wife's behaviour. I've always wondered.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Gotta give these guys credit, they've found very inventive ways to make up for the loss of the vinyl rituals. ;)

audiophile

I have these RCA "noise-stopper" caps from Audioquest
They protect unused jacks from dust, look cool and don't cost much. They do not affect the sound, and I don't mind. Got them just for fun )

4eb9030c9671d3491e9a24fe47bf986e04dd73b2.jpg

Top Bottom