• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do expensive headphones allow you to hear better? Should I upgrade?

knkkskknk

I have SHP9500, they are about 80$, they have 50mm drivers.

K701 has 45mm drivers, MSRP is 400$ but it's for sell at 200$

Why is K701 200$, and SHP9500 80$? Does K701 allow me to hear things better than SHP9500? Or is it just an EQ curve?

Jumping the price a bit. I actually was thinking of DT1990 (600$) or a Focal Clear (900$)

Since I recently got RME ADI-2 DAC. And noticed an improvement in the 3D and "soundstage" of the music, also able to pinpoint things better in mixes, and easily adjust vocals to sit ontop of instruments / hear the middle and sides alot clearer.
I thought I should get better headphones too, but I'm honestly fine with my SHP9500 and don't know why I need better headphones, or if they really let you hear things better.

MrBrainwash

I don't know 'yes or no' answer but headphones do have different traits and I would call them kinds od features for subjective impressions. DT1990 pro give me 3D like presentation and Sundara give me open undistorded presentation. Which is better? It's depended on demands from listener, needs, preferences ect. Where I hear more or less? I don't know. I imagine DT are better to pinpoint some of sound flaws, but I have illution of richer details from Sundara.

SHP vs AKG give you different presantations as well. Which you will evaluate as better I don't know.

I had SHP9500 and found them very fun to listen to but presentation was unusual, pleasant but not as coherent. I regret that I didn't use eq back then, they seems even better on graphs and from impressions after eq.

From objective point of view we look at distortions and FR. From subjective point of view it's better if you hear it yourself.

Today HD560s are popular if it comes to performance for the price and neutral, even sound, that can be useful for work.

gvl

Major Contributor
I find Drop HD6XXs to be much more pleasant than the SHP9500 out of the box, comfort and sound wise. The latter are somewhat shrill sounding and generally feel to be in a league below. I think you should move up, the Senn 600 series is a safe choice.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There isn't all that much correlation between price and sound quality. Some of the best headphones are the most expensive, but some of the worst as well.

The SHP9500 is already one of the best cheap headphones, especially if you add EQ and crossfeed from your ADI-2 DAC. Personally, if you already like its presentation (and aren't looking for something different like very impactful bass from a planar or closed dynamic) there's probably not much reason to upgrade to anything less than an HD800.

Personally I would take the 9500 (with EQ) over the more expensive Phillips X2 and even the Sennheiser HD6x0 series.

The real downfall of cheap headphones is usually their build quality, short production life, and lack of spare parts/pads. It will probably be out of production with no spare parts avalible by the time something breaks or the pads wear out and will probably have no aftermarket support. To get the same life you'd get from a more expensive headphone with either manufacturer or aftermarket support you'd probably have to buy 2 or 3 pairs for spare parts. The low price makes that doable, but not everyone wants to keep stuff around in storage like that either.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO, higher price of a headphone does not equate them to being better. This has been discussed on ASR before, (case in point Abyss Diana Phi) price does not match the performance of a headphone. The biggest caveat that should be understood is that many headphones are marketed to be the next best thing that delivers "out of body" experiences for audiophiles and many times these claims fall short. There are some headphones that merit the price due to the materials they use and the technology they incorporate.

In your case, if your SHP9500 deliver the joy of music to you then, I wouldn't look for the next best thing because you're going in with an expectation that may not fruition.

ALaylowguy

There isn't all that much correlation between price and sound quality. Some of the best headphones are the most expensive, but some of the worst as well.

The SHP9500 is already one of the best cheap headphones, especially if you add EQ and crossfeed from your ADI-2 DAC. Personally, if you already like its presentation (and aren't looking for something different like very impactful bass from a planar or closed dynamic) there's probably not much reason to upgrade to anything less than an HD800.

Personally I would take the 9500 (with EQ) over the more expensive Phillips X2 and even the Sennheiser HD6x0 series.

The real downfall of cheap headphones is usually their build quality, short production life, and lack of spare parts/pads. It will probably be out of production with no spare parts avalible by the time something breaks or the pads wear out and will probably have no aftermarket support. To get the same life you'd get from a more expensive headphone with either manufacturer or aftermarket support you'd probably have to buy 2 or 3 pairs for spare parts. The low price makes that doable, but not everyone wants to keep stuff around in storage like that either.
After 3 years of everyday usage, I can confirm that SHP9500 will likely outlast my phone, computer and everything on my working table. The thing is truly built to last :D. And it sounds great to my ear btw. Your take over X2 and HD series is spot on!

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After 3 years of everyday usage, I can confirm that SHP9500 will likely outlast my phone, computer and everything on my working table. The thing is truly built to last :D. And it sounds great to my ear btw. Your take over X2 and HD series is spot on!
Cool. I wouldn't have expected that sort of durability. Glad it's holding up for you.

gvl

Major Contributor
I found that improvements that came with HD6XXs were well worth the higher price over the SHP9500. I didn’t try to EQ the latter at the time however.

ALaylowguy

I found that improvements that came with HD6XXs were well worth the higher price over the SHP9500. I didn’t try to EQ the latter at the time however.
I have been through some headphone notably HD660s and Sundara. The journey was fun until I realized that I am actually dirty poor haha so I decided to simplify my system and the only headphone I kept is the first one I bought (which get me into learning how to make headphone cable and modding). The other cans have their own characters but in the end none can rival the comfort and sound of EQed 9500. Just my personal (hot?) take.
AJFCJaVU-l4KrRV7yLeu5ttTK5lF9CV3U9Kt9lif2XYr3So8knEXJqf3j-WvmSsAlQ9Rv91ZW1pjKHT0pEvq1hFQie97IlFZfGA=w697-h929-s-no

RangerAudio

I mean as you upgrade you can gain comfort or build quality. There are slight differences. I think trying the 6xx from Drop might be worthwhile. I really like the Phillips 2xhr as well that is pretty cheap too. The difference between those and a 1000-dollar headset is the look/build quality and maybe 1% sound if that. EQ definitely is a game changer.

gvl

Major Contributor
comfort and sound of EQed 9500.

I found comfort to be not that good actually and it is something you can’t fix with EQ, thin pads cause my ears to rub, and the whole feel on the head was kind of loose. If it works for you great.

ALaylowguy

I found comfort to be not that good actually and it is something you can’t fix with EQ, thin pads cause my ears to rub, and the whole feel on the head was kind of loose. If it works for you great.
thanks, have a nice weekend :D

Top Bottom