• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do excess cookies cause delays when switching between Chrome tabs?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Yes, 4K or more is awesome I am told. I'm a shooter gamer on the PC so 1440p is the best compromise for high frame rates and resolution. I don't see a video card doing high frame rates at 4K or 5K. Not for less than maybe $3K. I'm not going there...lol

got quite a few fps installed, besides some rare newer AAA titles i'm getting 70-110fps, even with all the heavily unoptimized open beta and pre-order stuff, on an amd 6800xt/r9-3900x combo @4K

Propheticus

I think what you're experiencing is the built in resource management of Chrome which unloads/pauses tabs that have not been used for a while + stops (hardware) rendering video and only does the audio when a tab is not in focus/hidden from view.
This means the Youtube video on the unfocussed tab is not being rendered until you switch to it. Re-initialisation causes a short delay in showing the video again.
Even when I put a YT vid in a separate Chrome window in the background I can spot it doing this. When waiting a while and then hoovering over the taskbar icon to show the sneak previews the video will shortly appear stuck on a certain frame to quickly catch up and start playing again.

It's meant to save resources, which helps performance and saves power. For mobile/tablet/laptop users it of course reduces battery usage this way. For powerful desktops... it's less wasteful ('sustainable') and allows keeping a ton of tabs open without too much of a performance hit.

JSmith

Master Contributor
However, neither Avast or Firefox bother about it.
Was just a thought and decided to check it... my subsequent suggestion then to Amir was more from a security perspective as TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are a security risk, 1.0 being non-compliant since mid 2018. An attacker could illicit connection failures or could trigger the use of TLS 1.0 to seek vulnerabilities like a browser exploit against SSL/TLS.

JSmith

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a fast internet connection with minimal lag. When switching between tabs I experience delays in the switching and sometimes the open and playing music video in YouTube delays showing the video too. Is this caused by too many bad actor cookies? I permit all cookies for convenience. I have 32GB DDR6 RAM, Intel Core i5-12600K Processor 12th Gen Alder Lake and a RTX3070Ti vid card.

The internet connection speed test is rather low today and usually is ~500Mb for the download.
View attachment 216687
First thing I'd do is create a restore point, then get Autoruns and check your startup for unneeded apps starting. You can also open a command prompt at type ping yahoo.com to see if your getting timeout errors, which indicates an MTU size that's too high. Also going into network properties and change your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 1.1.1.1 if it's your ISP that's slowing things down with their DNS server. An antivirus can slow that down too depending on which one and settings.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes. I have not overclocked the i5K processor yet as it still rules the RTX3070Ti very well and besides my new 1440p MSI 165Hz monitor delays the display turn ON and that combined with for some unknown reason I can't get into the BIOS. It's very disconcerting. I want to update the BIOS before I OC. :facepalm:Not sure if I should bring it to a proper techy. I have never needed a pooder tech since 1998 and to need one now is kind of bothersome.

Windows 10 will bypass and not allow you to get into the BIOS if ultrafast boot is selected in it. It bypasses your keyboard completely so you really can't interrupt loading windows. To regain access to it, just SHIFT + click on the restart option and then go to advanced menu where you can select to change UEFI firmware settings. Upon restart you should be in your BIOS screen. Then you can disable ultrafast boot, change it to fast, or leave it be and use this SHIFT + click option whenever you want to change your BIOS settings.

Last edited:

Propheticus

Relevant development that will throttle JavaScript timers even more aggressively when a tab is "hidden and silent" for 10 seconds.
Currently this is done after 5 minutes.
The reason: battery life.
If I interpret the description correctly, it should however not affect tabs that are currently hidden but play sound.

For those more technically inclined a background document why they target JS (background) wake timers.
And an explanation of the current 'heavy throttling'

To have a look at Chrome keeping track of which tabs/windows are visible, hidden or occluded and which have been unloaded, open up a tab and enter chrome://discards/

1657366524339.png

When you are somehow annoyed by the behaviour and don't worry about battery or performance impact, you can stop Chrome from throttling or unloading occluded windows (the selected tab of a Chrome instance hidden from sight behind your current active window) by going to chrome://flags, searching for occlusion:
1657366318056.png

and change this feature to disabled.

Personally I don't mind and never experienced audio stutters on background/hidden tabs. If opening new tabs or other activities cause audio dropouts, you might have other issues like DPC latency. DPC latency can be affected by all sorts of things, but mainly (bad) drivers, viruses or malware and virus scanners.

Katji

Major Contributor
FireFox close equivalent to that, but I get Soundcloud pause approx. 1 second very rarely, depends on memory, so not worth trying to do intervention specific to Soundcloud.
...Although it is a nuisance when the display refresh doesn't refresh all thumbnails and title text in playlist panels.

Top Bottom