• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do different convolution engines sound different?

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For Windows there are JRMC, Foobar2000, AcourateConvolver, HQPlayer and Roon. Lets say the filter is already generated by some other software and is being used by these engines.

Do the various convolution engines sound different? If so why?

palamudin

Using foobar, tried album player and it sounded different using same asio drivers. I was confused. Didnt bother testing or comparing, i like foobar interface as it is, cant stand that "pretty" apps with interface from hell, so i uninstalled it. The question WHY they sound different with same drivers (asio) is beyond me.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I think there was at one time a cult devoted to brute force convolution i.e. explicit, exhaustive time domain multiplies-and-adds versus the much more economical multiplication in the frequency domain facilitated by the FFT. For sure, if it could be shown that the two versions produce different numerical outputs, then that might suggest audible differences if those differences are great enough.

My own 'convolution engine' code is based on the frequency domain variant and I have never worried too much about it. I simply use the FFTW library to do the forward and reverse FFTs. There is no smoothly tapered windowing prior to calculating the FFTs as the system can use overlap-and-add which works fine with a rectangular window.

Numerical accuracy could also be influenced by floating point versus fixed point, rounding errors, 32-bit versus 64, if dither is applied, etc. Hopefully such differences would be minuscule in terms of audibility, but as long as there is any difference at all, people can claim they hear it. If two systems produce the same numerical output then of course they cannot sound different - but of course it would then be claimed that they can stress the PC power supply differently etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom