• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do damping factor, slew rate and the like have possibly any influence on the "sound" of an amplifier?

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
It just confirms what was said previously: a SOTA amp with a damping factor larger than 10 to 20 will be fine. Keep in mind SOTA amps have damping factors in the order of 100 (200 to 400) across the frequency band. The Pass Amp is ages away from SOTA ( there is a review somewhere on this site - the Pass has many problems, not just damping factor).

I found that link quite telling of how a low dumping factor affects sound. Made it clear for me so thought it would help others to understand the impact as well. Indeed most well designed amps today should not have an issue

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Pretty sure I have already posted in this thread but here is an ASR article on damping factor and frequency response:

Amplifier Output Impedance (Damping Factor) and Speakers
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amping-factor-and-speakers.23968/#post-807327

There are other factors affected by amplifier output and speaker load impedance and such that frequency response plots will not necessarily show, but as everyone has said it is rarely an issue these days unless you have a tube (or specialized SS) amp and "difficult" speakers.

Top Bottom