• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do DACs and headphone amps have different voice and instrument timbre texture?

100rounddrum

If they do, can you see that in the measurements? Which part of the measurments is indicative of timbre variations with amps/DACs?

OP

100rounddrum

If the DACs and amplifiers are reasonably good quality then you should hear no difference.
Yes I've heard this countless times. My question is specific; in what part of the measurements, can I make out timbre texture quality?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I've heard this countless times. My question is specific; in what part of the measurements, can I make out timbre texture quality?
I suppose all of the measurements make a difference. They all contribute and are all important measurements.

OP

100rounddrum

I suppose all of the measurements make a difference. They all contribute and are all important measurements.
Alright thank you for your answer. Since this is a science site, I don't want any supposing answers, but facts. I'll wait for someone else to chime in.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is specific; in what part of the measurements, can I make out timbre texture quality?

Find a recording you regard as enjoyable for its timbre and texture; find out what equipment was used to put that enjoyable timbre and texture *into* the recording; examine the measurements of that equipment - and there's your answer.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Those qualities are more in-line with amplifier part. Plug-in a very sensitive IEM such as the CA Andromeda that I use on an amp with higher than 3 ohm and you’ll get anemic one-note bass timbre while plugging them in on an amp with near 0-ohm OI amp and you’ll get a very warm timbre as the FR on the 40 Hz to 800 Hz is elevated by a couple of dBs. I do prefer to use a 1.5 ohm OI from my DAP to balance out the bass in relation to the mids and treble

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The timbre of instruments is determined by the harmonic spectrum and the attack and decay of each harmonic relative to the fundamental.
This means changing the frequency response (local ratio of harmonics opposite the fundamentals) or the decay of harmonics needs to alter.
Amps and DAC's do not change decay and attack so that leaves ... frequency response.

The short answer is when there would be a change in timbre it would be caused by a change in the frequency response.
This we do not see and simultaneously explains why said effects (change of timbre) is never been shown in any well conducted blind test.
The reason some people still perceive a different timbre may well be a change of amplitude or mindset.
No, the latter isn't possible, ears don't lie, only grown-up people do. Sometimes on purpose sometimes by other causes.

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If they do, can you see that in the measurements? Which part of the measurments is indicative of timbre variations with amps/DACs?
The short answer is when there would be a change in timbre it would be cause by a change in the frequency response.
This we do not see and simultaneously explains why said effects (change of timbre) is never been shown in any well conducted blind test.

That combined with the answer from @majingotan give you the answer you need. DACs (if they have a linear response curve they do not impact the timber.) Amps might do it if you have an impendance miss match (in the case of the IEM) and the headphone is susceptible to it.

What I really want to know is why is this question is bothering you? Are you afraid that the gear you have isn't good enough?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That combined with the answer from @majingotan give you the answer you need. DACs (if they have a linear response curve they do not impact the timber.) Amps might do it if you have an impendance miss match (in the case of the IEM) and the headphone is susceptible to it.

What I really want to know is why is this question is bothering you? Are you afraid that the gear you have isn't good enough?
I suspect... This

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...better-compensate-for-noise.14070/post-429891

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I've wondered about about how non accurate devices measuments correspondeds to subjective impressions too. For example let's say I'm looking for sweet treble, rich midrange and accurate bass. How would the distortion / imbalance look in the treble/midrange from the measuments? Is there a thread that's dives into this? As a new member I'd find that to be very useful reading.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've wondered about about how non accurate devices measuments correspondeds to subjective impressions too. For example let's say I'm looking for sweet treble, rich midrange and accurate bass. How would the distortion / imbalance look in the treble/midrange from the measuments? Is there a thread that's dives into this? As a new member I'd find that to be very useful reading.

Or , buy accurate equipment and EQ those attributes to your hearts desire.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I've wondered about about how non accurate devices measuments correspondeds to subjective impressions too.

There usually is very little to no relation between measurements and (sighted) subjective impressions.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Let me rephrase. I'm interested to learn what different types of measured distortion sound like. Just out of scientific curiosity.

OP

100rounddrum

It's not bothering me. I'm just curious how my subjective impression of differences related to graphs.

I have a Chord Mojo which sounds great to me. But I guess it's a horrible device over here.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Let me rephrase. I'm interested to learn what different types of measured distortion sound like. Just out of scientific curiosity.

You can use REW to apply different harmonic distortion profiles to a pure tone using its "generator" window

No added distortion:

1592343734451.png

3rd harmonic at -18dB, 4th Harmonic at -20dB.

1592343903123.png

Large values chosen so the waveform change is obvious.

Audibly, much less is necessary.

You can add or remove distortion while the tone is playing, which is nice.

@pkane has software you can download from another thread that will distort music.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@pkane has written a brilliant piece of software which will allow you to do exactly that. Links under his signature.

Top Bottom