• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do budget streamers support hi res audio?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have 3 Sonos Port devices that I use to stream audio. I have subscriptions to Spotify, Qobuz and AMZ HD. Frequently my buddy Sam Adams and I switch back and forth between the services trying to hear a difference in audio quality but alas, i'm never convinced. I prefer Spotify for many reasons, not pertinent now, but of course there's always the audio quality thing. Right up front the last thing I want to do is stir up the audibility of hi res debate, I only have a hardware question that I suspect many of the lower SINAD members of this forum might also have lol.

The main system is end game for me (Anthem STR pre/STR power amp/Revel 228be mains supported by a pair of 13" Fathom v2s. And btw, the latter are not subwoofers, they are God. Sorry, no religion here.

Sitting on top of the cabinet is the little black Sonos Port, its eye of sauron constantly staring at me, its coax supplying the streaming info to the STR DAC. I've never trusted the damn thing and felt it was a weak link, mostly because it was not very expensive.
The other day I was emailing my buddy Rory at Benchmark about streaming using his stuff (definitely expensive enough). He said don't worry too much about the source, as long as i'm using the digital out the fidelity of the source does not impact the SQ of the system. This was my understanding so all was well until he added, "I'd suggest the Node 2i because it supports hi res, your Port does not." Well long story short it appears that the Port, even with the new S2 operating system does not support 24/192 but does improve its prior performance to 24/44, a combination I had never heard of. I realize that Amir's test of the Node 2i showed some problems but that does not impact my issue that I need help with.

My question is this, is it a waste of money to subscribe to a hi res streaming service if your streaming device cannot pass along the additional information? Again, not trying to comment on audible quality, just wanting to know if my DAC would get more info from a hi res service if I used something like a Matrix Element I rather than the Port, and I suspect a number of other budget devices.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exactly: all your audio chain needs to support 24/192.
It is why I do not subscribe to Amazon Music HD: the Roku audio output is only 24/48 maximum.
I will have to find another streaming device just for HD audio.

Top Bottom