• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference (video)?

Maki

I like the long form videos. I always watch youtube at 2x speed anyways.

TimoJ

But surely you also need to use audiophile network cables and power distribution block to get the full benefits? Those were not used during the reviews. If after those you still don't notice any difference, your system resolution is still too low and you need to tweak it even more. Testing with network cable disconnected proves nothing, of course you need to have a cable connected and it has to be audiophile grade. ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Another great video Amir.

Your sense of humor is easy to feel in your videos. You come across very well, and I find it much easier to 'hear you' now when I read your reviews.

At the rate you can put out material, I think a few people may be getting nervous, hoping they aren't called out next... (cough cough PS Audio cough cough).

samwell7

Thanks Amir, I'll watch this at work on Monday, It'll be a good way to pass some time!

Long format YouTube is great, easy to watch over a few sittings.

KxDx

But surely you also need to use audiophile network cables and power distribution block to get the full benefits? Those were not used during the reviews. If after those you still don't notice any difference, your system resolution is still too low and you need to tweak it even more. Testing with network cable disconnected proves nothing, of course you need to have a cable connected and it has to be audiophile grade. ;)
Gotta have audiophile power generation too. I've found that hydroelectric has such a terrible noise floor compared to nuclear. I'm probably going to resort to solar panels during the day and some type of battery system at night.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta have audiophile power generation too. I've found that hydroelectric has such a terrible noise floor compared to nuclear. I'm probably going to resort to solar panels during the day and some type of battery system at night.

No man, diodes are notorious noise sources, so don't use solar! Definitely stay away from wind!

Last edited:

TimoJ

Imagine the switch as a waterpump (I have watched Gold Rush). If you don't feed enough water or use dirty water, the pump will starve and never hits its peak performance. And also if you use too small or leaking hoses, it will limit pump's output. So no gold nuggets, just dirt.

Exactly the same thing is happening with these audiophile network switches. You need to have all external parts matched with the switch.
CAT8 audiophile cabling is a must and heavy duty power cabling. Be aware that there are noticeable sound differences between CAT8 cables, so you may need to experiment to get that "golden" experience.

;):)

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Amir,

Is that you in the videos ?
If so, you do not at all look in your avatar :)

More seriously, this video is somewhat comforting... Because I had a chance to listen to tell those switches apart. And I was totally unable to do so with my small little tiny ears.
So I am not totally deaf...

Regards.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Too bad we lose another type of devices to improve music... Mentally... Seriously

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any real noob primers to explain dB and logarithms and FFT graphs. Fourier for dummys that each spike is a frequency and that you can build any wave form by combining different pure sines .

Can one show in a noob friendly way that music lives in the white area of the graph where the distortion spikes and noise don't reach.

The hard part is to interpret the measurement's in a meaningful way so.....
A good part of this video was to explain that 144dB (24 bits ) is not really possible because physics if one work from 4 or 2 volts downwards you reach the self noise of room temperature resistors or a similar real limit .
(however it seems that modern DAC are still linear down below the noise floor if you do the linearity test ).

Some show and tell about what each measurement is supposed to show :)

MadMan

But but....I saw a video by a Dutch guy who gets sent free review products by manufacturers/retailers and has a few pieces of unused test equipment behind him in videos that network switches do affect sound :D The mids become clearer, bass more full, treble more detailed...obviously, it costs more than a non-audiophile switch so it has to be better! Also, using optical fiber instead of copper for home networking is another step up! If you can't hear the difference, your ears suck and your system isn't resolving enough! :facepalm:

Top Bottom