• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Do Audiophile Cables Matter? Here's PROOF!" by Danny Richie

LDKTA

Well this is just wrong... but excellent ASR material for debunking/disproving and invalidating.

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-speaker-wire-measurements.14263/post-443453

YouTube Do Audiophile Cables Matter? Here's PROOF! by Danny Richie

Some of you already know about my obsession with dirt in the electrical supply, my problems with the continuous one in mains, the RF / EMI interference via cables and the special care in the boxes that include class D amplifiers, but those are other stories.

I have an old thread in Audiocircle that maybe can interest you:
If I modify the crossover of my modified KEF Q100, I will change the internal wiring for Canare 4S11. And new DIY speaker cables with Neutrik SpeakOn connectors and Canare 4S11 too.

For now I have Kimber Kable 8PR, that I found cheaper about ten years ago in a professional audio shop and I could not resist.

ta240

Major Contributor
Without electra cable tube-connectors it is all worthless ;)

Seriously though wouldn't background noise in most rooms be higher than the noise floor in most people's systems? They are selling fancy cables to people with few if any room treatments and claiming they will hear a difference. At least Paul McGowan says you will only notice a difference in a highly resolving system. Here he's saying you'll notice it no matter what. Although I think most people when they hear that go "My system IS highly resolving so I need this"

And not all 'audiophile' cable is braided and that also ignores the changes to inductance and capacitance of a cable by changing the design. They always dismiss the increases in those with "It isn't enough to make a difference" but is the RF signal enough to make a difference?

I see a pattern where they measure what could happen to a signal along the way and extrapolate that the end result at the speaker will also be different. They do that with with power filtering where they say "Look at all the noise at the outlet" rather than measuring the noise at the amp output or speaker before and after. And he's doing it here with "It can pick up signals so the output from the speaker will be different" rather than measuring the noise floor at the speaker before and after.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Everything we need to debunk his testing is right in front of us. He even says so in his video. Look at this Tuner he is using for "measurements:"
1593461188597.png

1. He has set this Pioneer Tuner to FM and tuned it to 104.5 Megahertz. A Megahertz is 1000 Kilohertz (likely a local station). So this is more than 5000 times higher than the highest frequency we can hear!

Think about: if we could all hear FM radio, we would go nuts! All those stations transmitting going right into our ears as sound? It would be insane.

So receptivity of this frequency has nothing to do with audible noise.

2. I also circled the "tuning" meter. Unless it is broken, it is indicated that he had on purpose tuned to a local FM radio station that was so strong as to be picked up with the short wires he had taped to the top of the unit. So naturally, adding more wires to them would increase reception ability.

3. It is 100% true that twisted pair wire provides resistance to noise pick up. THis is why they are used in Ethernet cables, HDMI, etc. So showing that they act less as an FM antenna is telling us water goes downhill.

4. The main problem with his test is that there is no speaker at the end of the "speaker wire!" If you put an 8 ohm load on the speaker wire, its ability to pick up FM stations will go down to hell. As he tested, they are very high impedance (i.e. just air and resistance between them) and hence the reason they make good antennas.

Again, think of how deaf we all must have been all this long to not hear our local FM stations on our speakers (as noise or otherwise). Not possible because the loading of the circuit by the very low impedance of the speaker makes it so.

All this time I thought he understood something about electronics. This tells me that he lacks even the most basic understanding of circuits, electronics, etc. He is presenting a parlor trick which is so easy to debunk.

Top Bottom