• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

Taddpole

It occurs to me that if the '100 hour break in' was a real phenomena, there would be speakers played with pink noise or music for that time period or longer available for sale like prewashed jeans or vintage wines or.......you get the idea.

Even if it isn't a real phenomena there seems scope for such a business. Plenty of other audiophile nonsense has a market.

boswell

How long does a manufacturer test a speaker for? Or are they happy with DOAs.
Why don't they sell broken in ones that are then at their best?
Or at least give the option.
Care for an untested one, you're guaranteed to be the first?
Or perhaps something fresh and just learning the sound game.
Or do you want something with experience that can show you things you've never heard before.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It occurs to me that if the '100 hour break in' was a real phenomena, there would be speakers played with pink noise or music for that time period or longer available for sale like prewashed jeans or vintage wines or.......you get the idea.
.......and used speakers should sell for more than new ones. :rolleyes:

beagleman

Major Contributor
As with many "audiophile" claims, I never see anything but anecdotal stories about this.

One would think if the break in theory was so easily heard/real, by now ONE person would be able to demonstrate/prove/measure it...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
From a long-ago (2011) post:

David Clark, AES Fellow, presented "Precision Measurement of Loudspeaker Parameters" in March, 1997. From the paper:
"5.1 Break-In"

"A break-in process is recommended. Drive-unit storage may cause the diaphragm suspension to drift away from its normal or in-use position. Break-in, with the drive-unit axis in the in-use orientation (usually horizontal), restores the normal diaphragm position. The recommended procedure pneumatically stretches the suspension to one excursion extreme, then the other and continues to alternate, decreasing the excursion each time until x is at zero. This process can be completed in less than 1 min."

Yes it is real. No it doesn't matter.

I can personally attest to 2 speakers in which several people heard the difference but only, only, in the tweeter: the KLH Quincy (features an anodized aluminum tweeter) and the Paradigm Millenia 20 Trio three-channel passive speaker (features Paradigm's patented S-PAL satin anodized aluminum tweeter). The Quincy was so bad on the first audition that they were intolerable. I placed them in my home theater connected to an HK Stereo receiver and played them non-stop via a carousel CD player for some 20+ hours with the bass turned down and the midrange/highs turned up slightly. I made a tent and covered them with a thick blanket to muffle the sound. I did a similar thing to the Paradigms and both settled down and improved markedly to where they sounded quite good. This phenomenon is not debatable and well known.
HT Entrance.jpg

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether or not anyone wants to debate it, it is debatable. This thread is empirical evidence, presently at 20 pages of debate.

It is just as likely that ears get used to the sound.
You can find 1000's of epiphany's concerning power cables.

Even if it is true, what's the point?
Wait a week before returning speakers, ok.

- Rich

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about the Paradigm S- Pal but I had the prestige 85f with the X- Pal aluminum , I never noticed any break-in or settling down. They always sounded good to me.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I can personally attest to 2 speakers in which several people heard the difference...

Which, unfortunately, doesn't tell us very much.

This phenomenon is not debatable and well known.

As are many psychoacoustic effects that you are ignoring which can readily explain what you heard. Anecdote vs actual science...science wins.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Whether or not anyone wants to debate it, it is debatable. This thread is empirical evidence, presently at 20 pages of debate.
20 pages? Make that 40 years.:eek:

Which, unfortunately, doesn't tell us very much.

As are many psychoacoustic effects that you are ignoring which can readily explain what you heard. Anecdote vs actual science...science wins.

I know something about psychoacoustics and your many effects need justification: Name one psychoacoustic effect in which a group of people hear the same thing (harsh tweeter) and then, after 20 hours of burn-in, when each hears it at different times, independent of the other, without conferring and not knowing what the other said, under the same conditions (room, amp, etc.), they too find it sounds much better. What category of psychoacoustics would you place that in?

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I know something about psychoacoustics and your many effects need justification: Name one psychoacoustic effect in which a group of people hear the same thing (harsh tweeter) and then, after 20 hours of burn-in, when each hears it at different times, independent of the other, without conferring and not knowing what the other said, under the same conditions (room, amp, etc.), they too find it sounds much better. What category of psychoacoustics would you place that in?

The one that ignores controlling for bias. All of your (our) many and varied biases are welcomed to the party when there are no listening controls.

Could be any number of these... Pick a few:

f68ef87d0b70268e7e41486bd97993b0.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom