• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY while stuck at home

ta240

Major Contributor
With all the places closing and shelter-in-place orders going around I figure that protecting ones sanity by staying busy while stuck at home for weeks seems like a good idea. So with that in mind what sort of DIY projects would be good? I'm looking for something more advanced than just bolting pre-done boards into a case and less advanced than trying to figure out what new component can replace a discontinued component.

Does anybody else make kits like Akitika? I was tempted to try their amp but I've built a LM3886DR before and figured something more different might be good. I do really like the case and everything in one box with no hunting down components and parts. $500 or less would be ideal, unless it ends up being a really impressive piece of equipment.

I've also looked at speakers, I have 3/4 MDF so I could make the boxes for ones that they supply plans for but there are so many choices there it really gets overwhelming. And, while not terrible, my woodworking skills are somewhat limited (circular saw and hand router) so ones with elaborate internal structures might be outside of my skill set. The BMR Philharmonitor was tempting due to the test even at the price but I can't find plans online to see how complex the internal structure is. The SR71 is a more basic build that gets good subjective reviews. The X-LS Encore is also tempting as is the CSS P215.

Suggestions? What will you be doing with the extra time if you are stuck at home?

Last edited:

bogart

Forum Donor
Totally tracking your thinking here. If we move into a more prolonged home restriction, I was definitely thinking a build would be in order. I don’t have suggestions yet as I’m in the ideation phase, but I will watch this thread.

lxmini was one of the first that came to mind (with the economical sub option), as it also affords one the chance to way over invest in surface finishing without diving so deep into woodworking. Also I believe all components are mail order or delivery friendly, including hardware store requirements, making it good for the home bound ambitious.

other ideas I’ve considered are:
testing out Roon,
working some ABX tests to find my thresholds for quality distinction (calibrate my future purchases!),
do detailed room EQ for my home theatre system,
open up walls to install nicer wire conduit solutions and then practice drywall repair (@Thomas savage can run a clinic?)
Install some lighting automation

very little helpful to the original question perhaps, but may give you some ideas while you continue your search.

bogart

Forum Donor
How about setting up a still, you'll either have something to celebrate with when its all over, or something to barter with or run the car on if it all goes a bit "Mad Max". :p
or with my skill level, a strong chance of requiring a hospital admission!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have nearly completed this:
http://www.signaltransfer.freeuk.com/preamp.htm
The tricky part can be getting ahold of Gareth Connor, but if you can manage that, his case + PCB make for an impressively professional build. Would suggest buying a complete kit if possible as a number of parts are either custom (switches, case), NOS (transistors) or not stocked in the USA (heatsinks, headphone jack, polystyrene capacitors). The case is worth the added expenditure as tolerances are admirably tight, and in any event I'm not aware of any generic case which would fit the board nearly so well.

bribur

Forum Donor
Subs are a great project, you can design them to fit your room, they model well and they're hard to screw up, especially closed box. I think they are a case where good drivers in a well made box of the correct size will work well without much fuss. Some are built in a weekend but I spent a few months building a pair last year. Great fun. Everyone needs more subs. It can be done with a handsaw and router, you need a good straight edge to cut panels. If you have the room, it's a great excuse to get a table saw, I got one to build Ariel speakers 20 years ago. But I built Fried model H's with a cheap skill saw in the 70's. Both are transmission line. I've thought off and on about building one of the Dynaco St-70 clones if you have any interests along those lines. Now you've got me thinking, I need a project too.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Everyone needs more subs.
This.

Like already mentioned subs are the most fun imho.
I will complete my basshorns, 2 kicks and 2 subs (30Hz in multiples).
Later adding more down the line.
I think of around 8 each.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
I have been tempted to try a subwoofer before. Any good suggestions on plans or designs?

And a link to an ST70 kit. Now that would be fun. I wonder if one of my nephews would use something like that when it was done.

Keep the ideas and the random thoughts coming!

Last edited:

Prana Ferox

There are lots, and lots, and lots of DIY sub designs out there. What do you want for size? Cost? Complexity? Do you have DSP? Do you have serious wattage? Do you want to cut your own wood or buy a flatpack? You can build a little sealed sub that fits under a desk or you can build a monster horn the size of a refrigerator with a 21" driver.

Here's one I finished up recently, a simple kitchen table flatpack build:

IMG_20200107_161721 (1).jpg

And a slightly more complex horn I may or may not ever finish:

Anarchy.jpg

bribur

Forum Donor
The St-70 kit I was thinking about is in the link in my first post, I still think it would be fun but don't really need it. I designed my own subs, originally to be ported, then passive radiator but ended up closed box. They are 12" Acoustic Elegance drivers in 2 ft2 boxes with hypex plate amps. Built of cherry, bb plywood and treated copper veneer. Here's one, 24" tall.

20191202_112421.jpg

Trdat

Forum Donor
I've also looked at speakers said:
Suggestions? What will you be doing with the extra time if you are stuck at home?

I always spend my time dividing it up mainly between, research forums, articles, speaker box modelling, etc, etc fine tuning my woodworking skills so essentially purchasing something new and attempting to master the tool or process and designing a new project and getting stuck into it.

I would suggest deciding what your next upgrade is in your chain that way you could work on the project passionately and be rewarded after you've accomplished it.

I usually opt in for Paul Carmody's designs only cause of the ease Parts Express offers of purchasing parts for his builds. Sub woofers are great to build you can buy MDF, driver and a plate amp for under $500 and get yourself a sub worth over 2k but I would definitely make two while your at it, very rewarding. If you want something easier choose a small bookshelf speaker like the Overnight Sensation, something a little more challenging the Amiga's their superb. Now, remember none of these have been tested but its going to be a while till we get DIY speakers tested and understand there quality but I wouldn't worry as there price is very affordable you'll be fine. You have chosen some descent speakers with your options I don't know much about them so can't help do they have DIY options of them...?

Regarding amplifiers why would you DIY an amp that hasn't been tested yet? You have a handful to choose from in particular the hypex they have option for DIY.

bribur

Forum Donor
That's a good point regarding the kit amplifier I linked to, there are no test measurements that I know of and it is not the Dynaco circuit, just the basic look and output tubes. At the time I was looking, it seemed to be the best looking kit and he's been doing it a long time. Now I'd want to at least see his own measurements, but I no longer have the urge. Probably due to reading ASR the last year...

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always spend my time dividing it up mainly between, research forums, articles, speaker box modelling, etc, etc fine tuning my woodworking skills so essentially purchasing something new and attempting to master the tool or process and designing a new project and getting stuck into it.

I would suggest deciding what your next upgrade is in your chain that way you could work on the project passionately and be rewarded after you've accomplished it.

I usually opt in for Paul Carmody's designs only cause of the ease Parts Express offers of purchasing parts for his builds. Sub woofers are great to build you can buy MDF, driver and a plate amp for under $500 and get yourself a sub worth over 2k but I would definitely make two while your at it, very rewarding. If you want something easier choose a small bookshelf speaker like the Overnight Sensation, something a little more challenging the Amiga's their superb. Now, remember none of these have been tested but its going to be a while till we get DIY speakers tested and understand there quality but I wouldn't worry as there price is very affordable you'll be fine. You have chosen some descent speakers with your options I don't know much about them so can't help do they have DIY options of them...?

Regarding amplifiers why would you DIY an amp that hasn't been tested yet? You have a handful to choose from in particular the hypex they have option for DIY.

Agree, Parts Express has some great values. The Carmody kits have some caveats. Have used the Amiga cabinet extensively and can get it to resonate easily. The posted impedance curve shows it between 100-300 Hz. Have not used the RS180S due to its age, but it does not model to the stated f3. The Overnight Sensations are also an older design and would favor the C-Notes over them. May not matter right now as all of them have availability issues posted currently :(.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been tempted to try a subwoofer before. Any good suggestions on plans or designs?

And a link to an ST70 kit. Now that would be fun. I wonder if one of my nephews would use something like that when it was done.

Keep the ideas and the random thoughts coming!

Have done a lot of subwoofers. Are you looking for something to rock the home theater or just be good for music?

l like when I can get cabinets too. For the Philharmonitor (and a number of other bigger DIY cabinets) check out speakerhardware.com. The cabinet for the BMR is pretty simple, but not worth my time versus the pre-cut ones.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Trdat

Forum Donor
Agree, Parts Express has some great values. The Carmody kits have some caveats. Have used the Amiga cabinet extensively and can get it to resonate easily. The posted impedance curve shows it between 100-300 Hz. Have not used the RS180S due to its age, but it does not model to the stated f3. The Overnight Sensations are also an older design and would favor the C-Notes over them. May not matter right now as all of them have availability issues posted currently :(.

Parts express has superb values and great customer service. I am a big fan of parts express, they really look after their customers. Regarding Paul Carmody's kit caveats please enlighten me...

I usually build my own cabinets and use Parts Express front baffle. I often opt for 22mm MDF or 20mm Russian Birch which doesn't necessarily mean I will avoid resonances but I go the extra mile to brace and ensure overall quality build.

If were talking subjective opinion every one that comes in for a blind test always chooses the Overnight Sensation then the Amiga and that's compared to my main system which is worth over 10k, but these are Jazz guys coming into a techno room and often choosing the mild OV or Amiga style (less bass) sound signature.

Looking forward in building the C-Notes, it measured descent enough by Amir and for the price can't go wrong.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's one I finished up recently, a simple kitchen table flatpack build:
That one is dynamite! Pictures downplay it's real size "I think"? Mind if I ask it's HxWxD size and weight?

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
Have done a lot of subwoofers. Are you looking for something to rock the home theater or be a good for music?

l like when I can get cabinets too. For the Philharmonitor (and a number of other bigger DIY cabinets) check out speakerhardware.com. The cabinet for the BMR is pretty simple, but not worth my time versus the pre-cut ones.

Enjoy!

just a sub for music and I'm not really into having the music punch me in the chest so just something to pick up the lows that the stand speakers don't do at low to moderate volume levels

the prices at speakerhardware.com are really good.

Colonel7

That one is dynamite! Pictures downplay it's real size "I think"? Mind if I ask it's HxWxD size and weight?
And what flat panel pack and where you got the infinity parts? That's really pleasing compared to a big ol' black matte or gloss box, because what my house really needs isanother low end table.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Parts express has superb values and great customer service. I am a big fan of parts express, they really look after their customers. Regarding Paul Carmody's kit caveats please enlighten me...

I usually build my own cabinets and use Parts Express front baffle. I often opt for 22mm MDF or 20mm Russian Birch which doesn't necessarily mean I will avoid resonances but I go the extra mile to brace and ensure overall quality build.

If were talking subjective opinion every one that comes in for a blind test always chooses the Overnight Sensation then the Amiga and that's compared to my main system which is worth over 10k, but these are Jazz guys coming into a techno room and often choosing the mild OV or Amiga style (less bass) sound signature.

Looking forward in building the C-Notes, it measured descent enough by Amir and for the price can't go wrong.

Given the tuning, not surprised that many would like the Overnight Sensations apparent bass. The only thing is that the are not very sensitive and run against their excursion limit below about 25 watts (also the woofer power limit). If your room is smaller and do not push them much, probably fine. The Bassbox modeling does show a nasty resonance peak around 900 Hz, so if not resolved by internal foam, cutting a couple of inches from the port eliminates.

The Amiga's bass has a shallower bass rolloff but slightly worse group delay. Its advantage is power handling as it goes down to 25 Hz at 25 watts. So if you have the power, you can eq it and get comparable bass to the OS without the woofer hitting excursion limits.

Btw. with the mods I suggested in the C-note build thread, it splits the difference in bass performance between the Carmody designs and probably has a better directivity than the Carmody designs. Hard to say as they do not post the any off-axis performance for them. I know this is may sound harsh but they are older designs and perhaps not a design priority. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom