• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY, wall speakers with Faital Pro 4fe32?

DanielT

Major Contributor
What do you think about that? Has anyone tested DIY anything like this? I have a couple Faital Pro 4fe32 at home so.... Come to think of it when I read about:

Then put some nice fabric on them. Hm. If you make sure that the edges of the baffles are really close to the wall, the whole wall will be a baffle!
I will test this in a few weeks when I have access to the small hobby workshop again. I "only" need to buy a few wooden boards.

Hm, maybe count on it a bit:

Should I place the driver on the wall along directly down to the floor, it should also reduce floor reflections. Though it would look too bizarre to have speakers mounted like that.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been contemplating something similar. How many drivers do you want to use? What would be the purpose? Also, note that they are kinda beamy up top, so it might be best to be able to direct them to the audience a bit.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
To be completely honest, this was just what I came up with now. Have not immediately thought of purpose and what I want to achieve, goals.Maybe have them in the bedroom. Of course I want it to sound good or decent. Not meant to be the main speaker. Mostly a fun project.:)

I have two Faital Pro 4fe32. I have a wall so ..one thing gives the other.:)

How do you think yours became? Feel free to tell us more about them. What speaker elements did you use? Speaker size? Are you using them now?

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you think yours became? Feel free to tell us more about them. What speaker elements did you use? Speaker size? Are you using them now?
I contemplated a Bessel array of 5 units per channel, for surround duty. But in the end, had to abandon it because the array needs to much distance to the listener to fully integrate.

Single driver solution for the bedroom seems like a fine idea. Will need a sub though.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thank you for sharing your experiences!:)

Hm, the bedroom, together with my vintage Receiver HK 330C plus an old Yamaha sub, which I have managed to squeeze under the bed...hm...Right now I have other Hifi knick-knacks under the bed but that's my thought anyway.:D

HK 330C does not have much power but I still do not play music at such a high volume in the bedroom so it is green light, so to speak.:)

Edit:
Time daly, EQ should be added, if the urge to steer it in a sensible way. I will see if I do that. It's still only in the bedroom.

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_120343.jpg
    IMG_20220103_120343.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, better hond on to those drivers! Cost of Faital drivers has gone up massively last month… it isn’t even funny anymore.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Btw, better hond on to those drivers! Cost of Faital drivers has gone up massively last month… it isn’t even funny anymore.
Va? Wonder why ?

In any case, I bought them used and built a pair of small desktop speakers with them last year. I had no direct higher Hifi thought with them but damn they sound really good.:) As you usually like your DIY projects but these, drivers in themselves are good. If you lower the mounting fins into the baffle it probably gives a smoother FR, lower distortion. it can, for its size, be top notch.:)

Edit:
But I do not have machines for that type of milling so it must be, be as it is.It's not worth letting a professional carpentry company fix it.:)

Last edited:

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The only reason that ikea speaker is good is because it can do insane amount of bass with that low distortion. I would say the driver itself is not the key, the implementation is the key. I hope someone can open that speaker up and have a look inside to see why it is so good at bass.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'm thinking further. Maybe assemble it with my two DIY subs I'm working on now. Somehow. Fun to think of different solutions.:D

Here:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking further. Maybe assemble it with my two DIY subs I'm working on now. Somehow. Fun to think of different solutions.:D

Here:
The TruePlay software quickly adapts the digital crossover within the board, allocating the correct frequency ranges to the woofer and the tweeter of your speaker, making it sound near perfect.
I doubt it will do a proper job on any random speaker. It won’t change crossover points, it’s just an EQ.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I doubt it will do a proper job on any random speaker. It won’t change crossover points, it’s just an EQ.
I put in the link, because I saw that it was a disassembly with pictures. I did not read what he wrote, wait I'll see what he's up to...... he speaks in his "nightcap" just waffle.:)

Speaking of speakers, Ikea also has Eneby

ENEBY bluetooth speaker, gen 2 has an updated performance and the speaker gives you a clear and powerful sound wherever you place it. If you want stereo sound, you can pair two identical ENEBY speakers to create a wider sound experience.

Here is my bedroom amplifier (so not exactly that but that model). 30 W. Not so much though but I do not play at such a high volume in the bedroom. The subwoofer , which I will plug in along with this, is also active by the way.:)

FR for Faital Pro 4fe32 looks good, but it is clear that if you set crossover around 100-130 Hz ((the rest below it to sub, so I will use LP plus HP filter) it will start to distort at higher volume. However, good sensitivity:

TECHNICAL PARAMETERS
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohm
Minimum Impedance 7 Ohm
AES Power Handling (1) 30 W
Maximum Power Handling (2) 60 W
Sensitivity (1W / 1m) 91 dB
Frequency Range 90 ÷ 20000 Hz

Xmax: 2.73 mm... Good. :)

It's probably a pretty good element. :)

20220109_092606984.jpeg

Last edited:

BenB

I've been contemplating something similar. How many drivers do you want to use? What would be the purpose? Also, note that they are kinda beamy up top, so it might be best to be able to direct them to the audience a bit.

I don't really think a full range driver should be used to cover the whole frequency spectrum, because of the inconsistent dispersion. People who do use them typically make sure to angle them directly at the listening position. That's hard to accomplish with an on-wall design. My on-wall line arrays are wedge shaped with a bit of an angle, but I was careful to keep the depth a small fraction of the width. You can't really do that with an angle big enough to point them at your listening position. When the depth becomes a significant fraction of the width, then the wall is no longer an extension of your baffle, and you'll get a reflection off the wall that acts as interference with the direct sound.
That's why on-wall speakers need to have broad dispersion (at least horizontally), because the on-wall design basically precludes you from being able to point them at the listener. In some designs I've been considering I use a 3/4 inch tweeter instead of a 1 inch for this very reason.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Seems sensible with angle. For me, it's mostly a matter of finding some cheap HP filter for the Faital Pro element. Tips on such a cheap HP filter are welcome! The active subwoofer has a built-in LP filter. I do not feel like investing in miniDSP and so on for this little project for the bedroom. In addition, I will also listen to music via FM radio so how I would get it together with a miniDSP I do not know. So analog in the bedroom, plus (per se) also streaming via Spotify.:)

The project is a test. I will not spend any large sums on it. What I will do is place a bid on a used active crossover. Right now I will see if I win the bid on a Behringer Super X CX 2300. But there are others if I do not win that bid.

Then I think about get one overhand cutter (if it is called that in English?, see picture). Annoys me like hell on those fins on the Faital Pro and would like to drill out, sink the baffle when I mount them. But then of course there will be more money. Such a machine may be good for other projects in the future. I'll think about that.:)

I do not have access to the small hobby workshop yet. In a few weeks I can get started.

Good price on the overhead cutter from a low-price chain. US $ 70. Got good grades in a test:

"A hand router does not just need a huge investment. In fact, our test of eight routers shows that the cheapest - Biltemas 17221 - performs better than even the much more expensive competitors"

Edit:
Speaking of which, angle. Placed in corners, see:

20220108_110511.jpg

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-17_07-01-19.png
    shot_2022-01-17_07-01-19.png
    776 KB · Views: 109
  • makita-overhandtsfras-drt50z.jpg
    makita-overhandtsfras-drt50z.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 82
  • shot_2022-01-17_07-13-47.png
    shot_2022-01-17_07-13-47.png