• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Vinyl Declicker / Rumble Filter In The (Gasp!) Digital Domain

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Nope... I’ve never used Audacity for anything. It really is in EAC. I’ll try to unearth an old Windows-PC tomorrow to see if I can find out how it worked - it’s been ten years... There is a function somewhere in the right hand part of the menu bar where you can record WAVs.

I think he meant finding the clicks one at a time and fixing them. This is not a trivial problem and there is scientific literature on it.

Shorty

I think he meant finding the clicks one at a time and fixing them. This is not a trivial problem and there is scientific literature on it.
Finding the clicks one at a time and repairing them are among the functions in EAC (at least in my version, of october 2010).
See under Tools: Process WAV. It’s all there: zoom in to the waveform and de-click (automatically or by hand), create cue-sheet, split WAV into separate tracks, compress to FLAC. You can even lower maximum volume in WAVs after they have been recorded, to get rid of impulses beyond zero dB.
I remember I had to increase latency in order to avoid an occasional short distortion in my WAVs.

folzag

@scott wurcer Your story is awesome. You should consider sharing those rare finds and lost gems digitally.

The original spirit of copyright (one of the first things the new Congress did) has been corrupted by commercial interests. OK, I get it, Disney has a multi-billion dollar investment and thousands of jobs to protect. (LOL at Disney caring about jobs, but I digress.)

However, it is unconscionable that Congress didn't add a cut-out for out-of-print material, and doubly so that they won't ever go back and fix the oversight because there's no vested interest lobbying to make it happen.

Artists want their art to be heard. Making a living at it is nice and I commend those that are able to do so. But if that ship has sailed, keeping the art locked up forever benefits no one. At the risk of being overly dramatic, losing the art a second time when your collection follows your Earthly demise would be twice the tragedy. IMHO.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also use clickrepairRT for some time now. And the bass is in mono below 80 Hz. Tonearm effective mass is low, 4 g, putting resonance freq at 11.5 Hz.

All things excellent to remove noise, both clicks and LF noise.

Top Bottom