• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Subwoofer

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Like plumbing, it always takes one or five more trips to the HW store than planned... At least at the end of the day you didn't have to hire someone to come fix it! :)

audiobill

Like plumbing, it always takes one or five more trips to the HW store than planned... At least at the end of the day you didn't have to hire someone to come fix it! :)
I have the same problem with my old plumbing. Having to make many trips to the loo.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well
They're done and running and ...

Those things require a lot of power... More so than one would suspect. 100 wpc makes the cone move and that is it. I had made some measurements in a garage but can't find these right now ..perhaps later. I will get the Behringer in 3 weeks. I ran them with a Rotel Multi Channel amp rated at 100 wpc and it wasn't moving much air perhaps this (very old) multi channel amp is broken. Will check it later

Where are the pictures?

Coming later ... :(

dalbert02

...cutting smooth, clean circular endcaps is not trivial for a novice woodworker.

They aren't cut. They are routed using a jig. In fact, all speaker cut-out circles are routed (unless you have CNC mill). Look at Troels builds on his website for some excellent detailed pics.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They aren't cut. They are routed using a jig. In fact, all speaker cut-out circles are routed (unless you have CNC mill). Look at Troels builds on his website for some excellent detailed pics.

I wasn't wasn't writing about driver cutouts. My comments concerned the outer rim of the endcaps for a "sonosub."

Regardless, you're making a strong argument against DIY for anyone who does not already have a well-equipped wood shop and the skills required to use all those tools! Fortunately, a router+jig or CNC is not needed for a DIY sub. Even speaker cutouts for DIY subwoofers are often cut freehand with a jigsaw.

dalbert02

I wasn't wasn't writing about driver cutouts. My comments concerned the outer rim of the endcaps for a "sonosub."

Regardless, you're making a strong argument against DIY for anyone who does not already have a well-equipped wood shop and the skills required to use all those tools! Fortunately, a router+jig or CNC is not needed for a DIY sub. Even speaker cutouts for DIY subwoofers are often cut freehand with a jigsaw.

I should have written "in addition to endcaps, speaker cutouts are made using a router and jig". Yes, one can cut something resembling a circular hole with a jig saw. Or a sawzall. Or even a dull butter knife. However, if you want perfect circles, a router/jig or CNC mill is the way to go. Nothing beats using the right tool for the job. Not arguing, just clarifying.

Last edited:
OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I seem to have some issues with the available power amp. The subs volume is waaay too low. The Behringer is to come in 2~3 weeks...In the meantime, I have a Yamaha CA 2010 available in my home office (for headphones amplification purposes) and a Burmester 911 :cool: (Yes ! Not pulling any legs Sal!! I was that kind of audiophile in a previous life after all) in storage but will rather put the Yamaha in operation to see what gives ... :(

So, no cigar yet! Will let you know...

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Trying to figure out the miniDSP I am using. It is clear that something is not right. Level is waaay too low. The subs work, no doubt. They're are not providing enough SPL... Not an amp issue, rather a setting in the minDSP 2x4, I am using.
Seems that the bucket subs work: I tried to send a sinewave at 30 Hz directly to them and things were rattling in the room ... I need to be more clear and understand how the miniDSP 2x4 works within my system's particulars. I will then get back to you people.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hi

Trying to figure out the miniDSP I am using. It is clear that something is not right. Level is waaay too low. The subs work, no doubt. They're are not providing enough SPL... Not an amp issue, rather a setting in the minDSP 2x4, I am using.
Seems that the bucket subs work: I tried to send a sinewave at 30 Hz directly to them and things were rattling in the room ... I need to be more clear and understand how the miniDSP 2x4 works within my system's particulars. I will then get back to you people.

One good thing about DIY is it is hands-on learning. ;)

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

A bit of tangential thinking here: Sorry ...

Trying that very simple DIY and learning to measure correctly, I can see how much the High End Audio Industry has pushed ( lead ?) us audiophiles, to the wrong path. They have made us concentrate on the subtle to non-existent contributions of electronics while neglecting the loudspeakers. Even here, in the ASR, you will find many discussing the noise and distortion levels of potentiometers, real in the absolute but whose contributions to the overall sound are so low as to be negligible , especially as compared to the gross non-linearities of speakers and especially speakers in a living space.

That doesn't mean to just use anything and expect great results.. but Boy oh Boy! the results one can obtain with good speakers properly set-up with truy inexpensive electronics... !!! I have some quite expensive DACs .. now to my ears and with the best transducers I presently have (Stax ESL Headphone, HifiMan planar headphones), these sound no better (or worse) than my ifi microDSD or the Topping D30 I recently acquired on a whim ...
It almost feels wrong to re-sell those expensive DACs to the unsuspecting ...

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The old Hsus were really good subs. But cutting smooth, clean circular endcaps is not trivial for a novice woodworker.

The other thing that's not trivial to get right is a smooth, level cut on the Sonotube itself.

Actually once you know the trick its quite easy. You need to make one of these for your router out of a bit of ply.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hi

A bit of tangential thinking here: Sorry ...

Trying that very simple DIY and learning to measure correctly, I can see how much the High End Audio Industry has pushed ( lead ?) us audiophiles, to the wrong path. They have made us concentrate on the subtle to non-existent contributions of electronics while neglecting the loudspeakers. Even here, in the ASR, you will find many discussing the noise and distortion levels of potentiometers, real in the absolute but whose contributions to the overall sound are so low as to be negligible , especially as compared to the gross non-linearities of speakers and especially speakers in a living space.

That doesn't mean to just use anything and expect great results.. but Boy oh Boy! the results one can obtain with good speakers properly set-up with truy inexpensive electronics... !!! I have some quite expensive DACs .. now to my ears and with the best transducers I presently have (Stax ESL Headphone, HifiMan planar headphones), these sound no better (or worse) than my ifi microDSD or the Topping D30 I recently acquired on a whim ...
It almost feels wrong to re-sell those expensive DACs to the unsuspecting ...

Nothing like overthinking and lack of knowledge and experience to give one a false sense of credibility.
"Oh, I heard it on the grapevine(internet forums and ads.)" does not lend to Creedence(sic) alone. o_O

Wombat

Master Contributor
Actually once you know the trick its quite easy. You need to make one of these for your router out of a bit of ply.

View attachment 15456

View attachment 15457
I like that. :)

My more simple jig for a one-off project. The centre spigot(old circuit-board stand-off)position is for the 16" speaker cut-out and was re-positioned for the port cut-outs.

IMG_0568.JPG

Routers are now inexpensive and DIYers should have one.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My eye can't help but be drawn to the pictures before reading...

An adjustable sliding dual-tweeter tall narrow front baffle was my initial instant impression here:

1536423541585.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wow....I'm sure they sound impressive, but they're also seriously fugly....
I thought mine were beautious, and the women passing thru weren't allowed an opinion. ;)

IMG_0809.JPG

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Erased the configuration I had in miniDSP. Connected everything.... Yeeees!! Yeees!!! Igor !! It's alive!!!

Now the downer, there had to be one ... I need to re-do the subs... I didn't go a great job sealing these either... air whistles through openings.. The LeakTites shiny bucket are also flimsy ... so back to the DIY board ... I will use paint buckets .. I had some.
When it is all done I will measure more.. THD, etc ... and post them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom