• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Speakers - Proposal for community purchasing and building?

ck42

Forum Donor
Being really interested in so many of the different DIY kits out there, I'd love to see more actual reviews performed on these DIY speakers here on ASR.
I think it's assumable though that no one here wants to purchase these kits by themselves (some cost some serious $) just to build them, ship them, and have them reviewed...when it's likely that they wouldn't even use them at the end of the day (speaker could be a real dud). Hence my proposal:

What about us in this sub-forum deciding which kit we want to see reviewed next and then start pitching in funds until we have the money to purchase. The kit (one speaker) could be sent to someone to assemble and then ship to Amir for testing. Then the group decides on the next speaker kit to start saving up for.
I think there are very likely some real 'sleepers' out there that won't be discovered otherwise. Unlike retail speakers, the extra friction that comes from the speaker being a DIY, and the required assembly, means that it's that much less likely to end up on a Klippel somewhere. Seems a real shame to me. Plus...I just have an attraction to DIY anything audio related, as I think many others do.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I agree, I'm looking for a good diy loudspeaker design but it's difficult to find objective measurements.
I guess more people are interested in the quality of DIY products (not only loudspeakers ofcourse).

johnp98

I certainly would be interested in this!
What city does Amir live in? Because if there was a local DIY community I could see the larger online community potentially chipping in some cash for the local community to buy and build various DIY speakers.

I know if I lived near Amir, I would be buying numerous DIY kits and then having him review them if we was willing.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Started a run at this about a year ago. Have spent a fair amount out of my own pocket and so looking for other ways to fund. See this post by Amir: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/future-diy-speaker-testing-strategy.12871/

The Directiva project is an offshoot of this, but currently much of anything is bounded by Amir’s testing bandwidth. Have asked whether he might forgo the listening test and maybe just publish measurements, but was told that measurements are the critical path for more testing. My original thread is here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-would-you-like-to-see-reviewed.11104/page-13

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
Had no idea that thread existed. Looks like Amir himself already was thinking about this WAY before me.
I still like the idea though of Amir at least testing what appear to be the most popular DIY kits....even if it's just something like one kit a month....or heck, every couple of months.
Following the Directiva project as well!

NYfan2

Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora Although not that much people on ASR are interested in actually building their own equipment I guess there are enough who are interested to see (good) DIY designs measured by Amir. For people like me who live in Europe the costs for shipping equipment to Armir are way to high but I wouldn't mind to make a donation every year to enable somebody in the US to purchase the materials and built a kit and then have it measured by Amir.
I think there are more people who are willing to donate for this kind of projects but it's important that it is clear where the money is spend and that the progress and measurements of diy projects are published regularly. And then the question ofcourse is, who is going to organize this?

Thumbs up for the Directiva project, very interesting to follow!

Top Bottom