• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY speakers only using Vituixcad2?

KS audio

Hello,long time audio freek here and have built and owned allot of gear through the years.Have reduced my set up recently and have been interested in getting back into DIY my own speakers again.Been looking at GR research,CSS and others through Madisound and Meniscus.
My question is without any proper testing equipment to test drivers has anyone ever built a successful xover (with tweeking of course) only relying on FRD/ZMA files and simulation with Vituixcad2?
I am aware that real world applications will change,room,actual cabinet design,etc.Doing it this way can prove to be expensive as well,just curious.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technically you could ballpark a decent speaker by taking manufacturer data, then applying reverse baffle step compensation to get usable driver data that you then feed into VituixCAD.

However, this is going to be less accurate and take more work than simply measuring your own drivers. A basic free-field calibration mic + impedance sweep device is less than $200 total, and a measurement stand be can fabricated for under $50. If you cannot afford that amount, just buy already existing kits.

OWC

As long as you change your expectations to it, I don't see why not.
There are people who have build speakers 100% by ear (with some very expensive drivers) and are totally satisfied with it.
If I would recommend it, that's a different story.

With a bit of creativity and such, one could easily make a measuring setup for around $100-150 that is adequate enough to start measuring things.

OP
K

KS audio

Thanks for the replies,yeah I'm sure real world measurements will give the best results.I might just invest in some measuring equipment.I know building a crossover and speakers that can put a smile on my face would be worth every penny,that's what DIY is all about.:)
Any suggestions on a decent setup for measuring drivers?

OWC

It depends a little were you live, but for a microphone, get a Dayton EMM6 or Sonarworks SoundID.
There are some cheaper ones like Superlux or Behringer, but those are not calibrated and have a tendency to get very inaccurate above 6-8kHz.
Any audio interface with phantom power and two inputs/outputs will do.
I personally would go for a 24bit/96kHz one at least, but it's not strictly necessary.
A M-Audio M-Track Solo or so, if it has to be on ultra budget.

As for an amp, almost any 2nd hand amplifier will do, just make sure it's not bridged.
Very often these sell for like 30 bucks or less.
Otherwise something like a the t.amp PM40C.

And you need some reference resistor to do impedance measurements.
Value of around 18-33 ohm will do just fine.
Often this is also called an impedance box, easy super simple DIY project.

Plus some cables, mic stand etc.
Plus it's handy to get some stand for the loudspeaker, ideally 1 meter high.

Top Bottom