• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY speaker outboard crossover

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Could one build one of the better DIY 2-ways but then just use a MiniDSP unit to handle the crossover and any EQ, plus 4 channels of amplification? That would afford a lot of flexibility and avoid having to do windings and boards.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes very much so. I have a friend who'd done just that, using an oldish analogue Pro crossover, and I've effectively done that by converting my B&W 801s to active, using a Behringer DCX2496 and DEQ2496.

It will work well, and you'll learn a lot about loudspeaker design.

S

lkong

I've done mine with Nelson Pass's LXmini kit. The catch is you will have to do some math and simulation.

DWPress

Forum Donor
I do the same thing with a MiniDSP 4x10 to run home built 3-way speakers + 3 subs. Assuming you know the specs of the drivers you are going to use in your project working out a decent XO is really pretty simple.

DWPress

Forum Donor
But I see in your signature you already have a MiniDSP 4x10. What do you use that for? Look at their website, there's all kinds of how-to guides for doing this.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Right, I built Linkwitz LXmini's, which got me to thinking, if I already have some 3rd party's 2-way box design, could I not adapt any of those for use with an outboard unit like the MiniDSP 4x10? Seemed like a no-brainer, but then I wonder why it's not more widely done. I mean, avoiding a passive crossover gets rid of so many limitations of traditional passive speakers.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It can definitely be done, but you'd want to either have or be able to take reliable raw measurements of the drivers in the specific box. Good passive crossovers are never as simple as just a textbook X order low-pass and high-pass, they also account for peculiarities of the drivers mounted in the specific box/baffle (most importantly, baffle step and the drivers' relative acoustic centres). Assuming you can do that, it's an excellent idea.

Top Bottom