• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Sound Group Volt-6

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
FWIW, I've got a few more DIYSG tests coming...
  • HTM-12 V2 (measurements done, just needs to be post-processed, analyzed and typed up)
  • Volt-8
  • 1099 Towers
  • 1099 Center

2CE268EC-8A2B-4759-A22F-2C2682465A3E.jpeg
BA5C9DF0-1A5B-4EC4-87C1-75EA528A229C.jpeg

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • 1099 Towers
  • 1099 Center
Please for the love of god measure well.

In the distant future I really want a real home theater setup and these looked like good candidates. My wallet cries looking at JTR prices.

PowerSoundAudio is the next hopeful candidate that is “affordable”.
If anyone is considering buying one of their speakers (or already own them) and want them tested, I’ll contribute $50.

EDIT: Looking at PSA’s site, they have new “M” counterparts to some of their original speakers, they are lower priced but I can’t find any info on differences.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Please for the love of god measure well

With the sheer number of drivers involved in the 1099, the crossover is going to really be important here. And I admittedly haven't looked in to what frequency and what the order of the slopes are. There's just a lot of potential for awesomeness but also bad performance.

YSC

Major Contributor
the SPIN data looks really awful... and I don't get the coaxial part, it seems that the center "tweeter" portion is huge compared to the outer ring?

Joecarrow

I love seeing all of these measurements for the DIY stuff, and especially appreciated the on-wall demonstration. DIYSG has been out of stock so long that I’ve started working on my own on-wall waveguide design. It gives me a lot to think about with respect to that comb filtering.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I love seeing all of these measurements for the DIY stuff, and especially appreciated the on-wall demonstration. DIYSG has been out of stock so long that I’ve started working on my own on-wall waveguide design. It gives me a lot to think about with respect to that comb filtering.

Glad it is helpful.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I've got a few more DIYSG tests coming...
  • HTM-12 V2 (measurements done, just needs to be post-processed, analyzed and typed up)
  • Volt-8
  • 1099 Towers
  • 1099 Center

View attachment 133398View attachment 133399
Very interesting stuff for sure to measure and look forward to it. Not sure if it makes sense or if worth the time, but on 1099 and the HTM12 it would be interesting hearing your impressions with EQ since they most likely will show good directivity. But certainly understand all this stuff takes time and that might be beyond your time you want to invest.

D

Deleted member 12642

Yeah lines up with my own measurements of my volt6's. I don't really like them, but can't really sell em sooo oh well. Maybe I can repurpose the drivers and xover.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning

In the distant future I really want a real home theater setup and these looked like good candidates. My wallet cries looking at JTR prices.

If anyone is considering buying one of their speakers (or already own them) and want them tested, I’ll contribute $50.

EDIT: Looking at PSA’s site, they have new “M” counterparts to some of their original speakers, they are lower priced but I can’t find any info on differences.

The only difference is the cabinet. The original cabinets are made and finished in Ohio while the "M" counterparts have cabinets made and finished in China. Drivers, crossover, wiring and internal dampening are all identical and installed in both cabinets in Ohio and tested for identical performance.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only difference is the cabinet. The original cabinets are made and finished in Ohio while the "M" counterparts have cabinets made and finished in China. Drivers, crossover, wiring and internal dampening are all identical and installed in both cabinets in Ohio and tested for identical performance.
Are the cabinets basically the same, or is the USA one better made (thicker cabinet) and/or different finish?

If they are basically the same, I can’t see why someone would spend a considerable amount more for the USA one, unless stock is an issue. I like seeing Made in the USA as much as the next guy, but not if it’s basically the same and the price differential is huge.

pokerbarlo

I was looking at getting these as well but it looks like going with 3 philharmonics lcr plus 4 hivi 3.1as for surrounds with the buckeye 500w amps would be a whole lot better if those other speakers don't measure well. I started learning at AVS forums but my dad was a distributor for genelec back in the 90's I have never owned a speaker that can come near to those. Seeing these measurements are a godsend I would've been pissed at myself if I shipped those over to the Philippines assembled them then got them painted at a car paintshop only to be given the worst frequency response ever plus no resale value..... looking forward to the HTM-12 v2 and 1099 measurements. Apparantly the designer just really wanted to make speakers to beat Klipsch which measure really bad too. I don't get why they have a lot of fan boys not unless quality for them is just dynamics and nothing else. Listening to my bright Polk RTI A7s just make my teeth grind full of regret hahaha can't wait to revamp my system with good measuring speakers If I could afford genelecs for my home theater I would but I might need to take a bike to work then on. Sorry just needed to vent on random thoughts since I wanted these to measure good as well since they are cheap and supposedly high sensitvity and even those measurements are false.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Isn't the M series exactly the same, but just made in China?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the cabinets basically the same, or is the USA one better made (thicker cabinet) and/or different finish?

If they are basically the same, I can’t see why someone would spend a considerable amount more for the USA one, unless stock is an issue. I like seeing Made in the USA as much as the next guy, but not if it’s basically the same and the price differential is huge.

I saw Tom asked about this, and he said they are exactly the same. The USA made versions still exist because some people are willing to pay more for that. I don't personally understand it, but I suppose it matters to some.

frankrcarter

I’m very much appreciative of you measuring DIY speakers. I’m very excited to see how the 1099s measure as I’m building a set.

Maybe there’s a gem out there, this certainly isn’t it. I bought into forum hype and bought a used pair of these and was dissatisfied. I think the peak from 1300-2200hz peak is what I found “grating” to my ears. I A/B’d them with a JBL LSR305 and much preferred the JBL.

The Volt 6 even failed the my wife doesn’t give a sh*t about audio but also liked the JBLs better.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@hardisj do you have a line on some Statements or other Curt Cambell open back designs?

TimVG

Major Contributor

18Sound XT1464 and a good compression driver, Some faitalpro or AE (are they still in business?) 15" woofers, an active crossover and you're good to go :)

Top Bottom