• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY RE-Cabinet

JRS

Major Contributor
Your welcome. For fun you may want to check out the Directiva project here which was a small standmount using the superb Purify 6.5 inch midbass crossed to a SEAS tweeter in a waveguide. By all accounts was a big success, but not for the faint of heart finacially--the woofers alone will set you back nearly 800 and thats no typo.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your welcome. For fun you may want to check out the Directiva project here which was a small standmount using the superb Purify 6.5 inch midbass crossed to a SEAS tweeter in a waveguide. By all accounts was a big success, but not for the faint of heart finacially--the woofers alone will set you back nearly 800 and thats no typo.
The SBs at Meniscus look interesting. My next project will probably be looking to maximize performance per dollar, as I am looking to make a sound installation that needs to be fairly modular (ranging between 1 and 16ish) speakers.

JRS

Major Contributor
Which ones are the SB's? There are a couple that use all SB Acoustic drivers, but no kit I could find, and that was an SB Micro. I am curious about what kind of project involves multiple units of the same speaker besides PA, unless you want to sample every possible surround setup there is. I think a couple have 13 channels, stack the L,C, and R like in the way back days when folk would stack bookshelf speakers to increase their output--Advents were very popular for that use case.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which ones are the SB's? There are a couple that use all SB Acoustic drivers, but no kit I could find, and that was an SB Micro. I am curious about what kind of project involves multiple units of the same speaker besides PA, unless you want to sample every possible surround setup there is. I think a couple have 13 channels, stack the L,C, and R like in the way back days when folk would stack bookshelf speakers to increase their output--Advents were very popular for that use case.
Yes, it works surprisingly well. We used to sell the BR-26 and then we would stack them and call it the B-52! LoL. :D

JRS

Major Contributor
Yes, it works surprisingly well. We used to sell the BR-26 and then we would stack them and call it the B-52! LoL. :oops:
Many a Friday night in college spent listening to stacked Advents, Crowns and Phase Linears were the affordable brands of muscle. With the exception of Thai stick, honey oil and Lebanese hash, practically all the dope we smoked would be laughed at these days. Nevertheless with stacked speakers and a very liberal dorm attitude (coed, about 50 students per dorm,no curfew, RA's were stoners) we had a jolly old time. And whatever the cannabis lacked, we had an absolute embarrassment of riches when it came to music.

Noticed these selling for $300. without the right drivers--autosound dreck drivers. :facepalm:I get a kick out of this vintage craze dropping 2.5 or 3K for a decent Marantz like the 2270. Makes me wish I still had my Marantz 1200 (integrated, 100W/side, slider tone controls with dB marks on a gorgeous fascia--benched at 145 into 8 and bridged got about 320 I used to drive a big ole JBL in a 4.5L cab). Think it landed in a landfill when I left SLC UT for Denver.:oops:

1680914631656.png
1680914631656.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Many a Friday night in college spent listening to stacked Advents, Crowns and Phase Linears were the affordable brands of muscle. With the exception of Thai stick, honey oil and Lebanese hash, practically all the dope we smoked would be laughed at these days. Nevertheless with stacked speakers and a very liberal dorm attitude (coed, about 50 students per dorm,no curfew, RA's were stoners) we had a jolly old time. And whatever the cannabis lacked, we had an absolute embarrassment of riches when it came to music.

Noticed these selling for $300. without the right drivers--autosound dreck drivers. :facepalm:I get a kick out of this vintage craze dropping 2.5 or 3K for a decent Marantz like the 2270. Makes me wish I still had my Marantz 1200 (integrated, 100W/side, slider tone controls with dB marks on a gorgeous fascia--benched at 145 into 8 and bridged got about 320 I used to drive a big ole JBL in a 4.5L cab). Think it landed in a landfill when I left SLC UT for Denver.:oops:

View attachment 277805View attachment 277805
I had a Marantz 2270. I hated lifting it it was soooo heavy.. Great piece of gear. I butchered it and took out the amp modules, made a heavy duty power supply for the amp modules and used it for my midrange amplifier for my tri-amp'd active crossover system. Some people where very upset when they saw a gutted 2270.... Hehe.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking at their coaxials. It’s an art installation I am working on. Inspired by Janet Cardiff’s 44 part motet.

Reactions: JRS
OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 6.11.28 PM.png

Left is red, right is green, L+R is blue. Measured from listening position, which is asymmetric to speakers. Measurements were taken without room correction and with some of my treatment down due to ongoing remodel.

Top Bottom