• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY RCA input switcher?

nascardad420

So for the past couple months I've been looking around for something to properly enjoy some HD600s I've had since forever. It doesn't appear that anybody actually manufactures a headphone amp with the following:

- 2 analog inputs
- a DAC

Basically 90% of my collection is stupid analog garbage that will never be released in a decent format.

Jotunheim was looking like the way to go, but nope.

The SMSL A8 is pretty close, but I have no need of the speaker terminals. The A6 looks like it measures OK but not great and it only has the tiny headphone jack.

So anyhow, I figure I could get a Topping A30 or if I wanted to go high-class maybe the Crimson HPA100 (not the Element. IDK why they couldn't put a normal switch on it. Why do you have to unplug RCA to use the digital in) with some kind of external input switcher and just be done with this.

PS does anybody know anything about the HPA100? The only thing online is a blog from his brother-in-law that implies the guy designed the Neve RNHP and this is his new company. Dan (the guy) has been responsive to my emails but I don't know the right questions to ask.

Didn't mean to derail my own thread in the first post either, this is really asking about how to switch RCA inputs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

The SMSL A8 is pretty close, but I have no need of the speaker terminals.

I never could understand this line of thinking, passing on something that’s otherwise perfect for your needs because it has some stuff you don’t have a use for. Do you stay up nights worrying because you aren’t using every input on your TV? Do you go car shopping saying, “I really like this one, but it has a cigarette lighter and I don’t smoke?”

Instead of looking at the SMSL as “it has speaker terminals I don’t need,” why not instead, “It has everything I need and more?” :) Doesn’t that make more sense than getting something that doesn’t have enough inputs and then adding a stupid little outboard switching device?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically 90% of my collection is stupid analog garbage that will never be released in a decent format.
Alternative suggestion, buy a cheap ADC or two so your DAC choice is simplified.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I reviewed the Schiit Sys and it did fine: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-of-schiit-sys-passive-pre-amp-switcher.2335/

JDS Labs makes an equiv. one which I have bought but not yet measured.

At $50, they seem like a good option versus non-name Chinese.
I know you're really busy but I'm curious on if you are going to release measurements of the JDS Labs OL Switcher vs the Schiit Sys sometime soon? I recently picked up an OL Switcher and am interested in differences, if any, between them. Thanks!

Top Bottom