• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a picture of the XLR connector with pin numbers. Looks like the signal connectors are OK.

XLR pinouts.jpg

Do you have a multimeter? Can you check the cable to make sure:
1. Connector J9 pin 1 (input signal +ve) is connected to XLR pin 2
2. Connector J9 pin 2 (input signal -ve) is connected to XLR pin 3
3. Connector J9 pin 4 (GND) is connected to XLR pin 1

With the NC400 module to the XLR receptacle cable connected, check:
4. Connector J9 pin 3 (nAMPON) is shorted to chassis, and the NC400 module mounting screws are also shorted to the chassis

NC400.PNG

[Edit] For step 4 above, I think it is easier to check (with the module to XLR cable installed)
4. From the back of the connector, J9 pin 3 and J9 pin 4 are shorted to each other
5. They are also shorted to the module mount screw, and to the chassis
7_nc400.jpg

Last edited:

alexis

Audio Company
SMPS1200 jumpers must be set to unregulated.
The default is unregulated - I don't really understand what the manual said in this. So I should change J6 and J7 both to position 2-3? What is "fitted with HxR voltage regulators"?

I also shorted J3 because I'm in United States. Default J3 is open.

1617508589823.png

alexis

Audio Company
Here is a picture of the XLR connector with pin numbers. Looks like the signal connectors are OK.

View attachment 121877

Do you have a multimeter? Can you check the cable to make sure:
1. Connector J9 pin 1 (input signal +ve) is connected to XLR pin 2
2. Connector J9 pin 2 (input signal -ve) is connected to XLR pin 3
3. Connector J9 pin 4 (GND) is connected to XLR pin 1

With the NC400 module to the XLR receptacle cable connected, check:
4. Connector J9 pin 3 (nAMPON) is shorted to chassis, and the NC400 module mounting screws are also shorted to the chassis

View attachment 121874

[Edit] For step 4 above, I think it is easier to check (with the module to XLR cable installed)
4. From the back of the connector, J9 pin 3 and J9 pin 4 are shorted to each other
5. They are also shorted to the module mount screw, and to the chassis
View attachment 121892
This is how I connected - green is the shielded ground from XLR. It is shorted with the nAMPON JP9.3 (Black from the left side to XLR) Initially I did this wrong.

IMG_8806.jpg

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The default is unregulated - I don't really understand what the manual said in this. So I should change J6 and J7 both to position 2-3? What is "fitted with HxR voltage regulators"?

I also shorted J3 because I'm in United States. Default J3 is open.

View attachment 121910
Default is regulated. Install the jumpers to get unregulated as indicated on the PCB side to the jumpers.
HRx are Hypex voltage regulators. They are embedded on the NC400.
J3 shorting is good.

alexis

Audio Company
Default is regulated. Install the jumpers to get unregulated as indicated on the PCB side to the jumpers.
HRx are Hypex voltage regulators. They are embedded on the NC400.
J3 shorting is good.
It is ..... WORKING!!!!!

I should let it run a while before I close the case? Anything I need to pay special attention to? The volume in my Emotiva was at 60-70 (Win10) with Emo's volume at 40. Now I can only do 10 under Win 10.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It is ..... WORKING!!!!!

I should let it run a while before I close the case? Anything I need to pay special attention to? The volume in my Emotiva was at 60-70 (Win10) with Emo's volume at 40. Now I can only do 10 under Win 10.
Well, double check that no connection is loose, then close and pay a lot of attention to enjoy the music.;)

alexis

Audio Company
So If I have RCA source.....

My Denon 4500 has only RCA source (no XLR). Could I use RCA to XLR cables? Or is that a no-no?

Or let me ask this way, is it possible to build RCA input for NC400?

lealoureiro

Forum Donor
Hello, I'm quite new in this forum as you can see from my number of posts :)

After reading all this thread, I decided to embrace the adventure of trying to build my own Power Amp as well, based on Purifi 1ET400A and Hypex SMPS1200A400. I'm a software developer and like to play with embedded systems however my knowledge regarding electronics is still a bit limited! Alltough I started to learn a bit more recently.

My idea is to connect the amp to a digital pre-amp like the Matrix Audio MINI-I 3 PRO by XLR (4.1VRMS) and use loudspeakers about 87dB of sensitivity. Not planning to use single-ended RCAs.

After reading the thread so far, I'm still not sure if I should go for EVAL1 using the FE02 Input Board or Neurochrome 1ET400A Input Buffer Board. Are there any major differences on sound quality etc or something else to consider? I don't need the S1 switch in FE02 and I want to use "normal" binding posts, and to be honest I don't feel very confident in unsoldering the onboard switch and banana connectors. The Neurochrome Input Buffer seems more flexible in that regard (also placement of the components). I'm still not very familiar with regarding how to match components... The input source for the amp should play a role on decision which input board to chose?

Regarding the case I'm planning to use the Modus GX388 330 x 280, with custom holes for XLR connects, binding posts etc.

I'm also planning to use a Microcontroller to interface the Amp over the Network (like some REST API). Something like a Arduino or Raspberry Pico. I'm planning also to place a push button with LED to turn on the amp, in front of the case, connected to this Microcontroller. I don't need 12V trigger. Still researching for a good Microcontroller with support for Ethernet using network cable since I don't feel good stuffing a WiFi chip inside the amp. And to achieve this, I believe I should use another external 12Vdc power supply.

I would like to interface the Amp modules using i2c (Software Mode) as it seems to be have cool stuff to play with including the main "turn on amp" feature as in hardware mode. I read that using FE02 some resistors need to solder to set the i2c addresses of the modules. Someone here already played with it? What could be the wiring to connect the Microcontroller to the i2C interface of the modules assuming both are on 3.3 Logic levels? Does the Neurochrome input buffer board also supports this?

Really sorry for the long post, but I'm just starting and there is so much information to gather and research, hope my ideas are not to much ambitious :)

I would be more than happy to share my progress and my designs the moment I start building it :)

D

Deleted member 65

Hello, I'm quite new in this forum as you can see from my number of posts :)

After reading all this thread, I decided to embrace the adventure of trying to build my own Power Amp as well, based on Purifi 1ET400A and Hypex SMPS1200A400. I'm a software developer and like to play with embedded systems however my knowledge regarding electronics is still a bit limited! Alltough I started to learn a bit more recently.

My idea is to connect the amp to a digital pre-amp like the Matrix Audio MINI-I 3 PRO by XLR (4.1VRMS) and use loudspeakers about 87dB of sensitivity. Not planning to use single-ended RCAs.

After reading the thread so far, I'm still not sure if I should go for EVAL1 using the FE02 Input Board or Neurochrome 1ET400A Input Buffer Board. Are there any major differences on sound quality etc or something else to consider? I don't need the S1 switch in FE02 and I want to use "normal" binding posts, and to be honest I don't feel very confident in unsoldering the onboard switch and banana connectors. The Neurochrome Input Buffer seems more flexible in that regard (also placement of the components). I'm still not very familiar with regarding how to match components... The input source for the amp should play a role on decision which input board to chose?

Regarding the case I'm planning to use the Modus GX388 330 x 280, with custom holes for XLR connects, binding posts etc.

I'm also planning to use a Microcontroller to interface the Amp over the Network (like some REST API). Something like a Arduino or Raspberry Pico. I'm planning also to place a push button with LED to turn on the amp, in front of the case, connected to this Microcontroller. I don't need 12V trigger. Still researching for a good Microcontroller with support for Ethernet using network cable since I don't feel good stuffing a WiFi chip inside the amp. And to achieve this, I believe I should use another external 12Vdc power supply.

I would like to interface the Amp modules using i2c (Software Mode) as it seems to be have cool stuff to play with including the main "turn on amp" feature as in hardware mode. I read that using FE02 some resistors need to solder to set the i2c addresses of the modules. Someone here already played with it? What could be the wiring to connect the Microcontroller to the i2C interface of the modules assuming both are on 3.3 Logic levels? Does the Neurochrome input buffer board also supports this?

Really sorry for the long post, but I'm just starting and there is so much information to gather and research, hope my ideas are not to much ambitious :)

I would be more than happy to share my progress and my designs the moment I start building it :)

Researched how to implement Software mode when I built my amp https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/post-579018 without luck! So just went ahead with HW mode. There’s tons of useful information to retrieve in SW mode, not so much control (4 bits to set). Would be really cool if you succeed, wish you luck!

lealoureiro

Forum Donor
Why do you want ethernet support?

I want to integrate and control it with my Home Automation system which I can connect to it via some kind of network API.

lealoureiro

Forum Donor
Researched how to implement Software mode when I built my amp https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/post-579018 without luck! So just went ahead with HW mode. There’s tons of useful information to retrieve in SW mode, not so much control (4 bits to set). Would be really cool if you succeed, wish you luck!
I see you also used the Neurochrome Input boards. How did you tried to make the i2c connection? I can't find datasheet for those boards, to see the pinout.

Assuming the Microcontroller is 3.3v Logic Level, and then you connect SDA, SDC and GNDs and don't connect the Voltage pins?

D

Deleted member 65

I see you also used the Neurochrome Input boards. How did you tried to make the i2c connection? I can't find datasheet for those boards, to see the pinout.

Assuming the Microcontroller is 3.3v Logic Level, and then you connect SDA, SDC and GNDs and don't connect the Voltage pins?

You should ask @tomchr , I never got very far in my limited research

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I want to integrate and control it with my Home Automation system which I can connect to it via some kind of network API.
If the idea is to remotely power on/off the amplifier, just be aware that you will not drive the power supply via i2c. And it represents almost 90% of the idle losses. For this usage, better use a connected relay.
Now, if you want to monitor the PS rails voltage and switching frequency from your phone, I have to admit it's pretty cool. Is it worth the work? You know it :)

lealoureiro

Forum Donor
If the idea is to remotely power on/off the amplifier, just be aware that you will not drive the power supply via i2c. And it represents almost 90% of the idle losses. For this usage, better use a connected relay.
Now, if you want to monitor the PS rails voltage and switching frequency from your phone, I have to admit it's pretty cool. Is it worth the work? You know it :)

I didn't understood very well the 90% calculation. You mean just put SMPS in standby still uses 90% of idle energy? I know that i need to use an external power supply (like 12v) to power the micro controller and keep it on independent from rest of amp.
I was also indeed planning to use a Relay to cut the power before SMPS1200, also controlled with microcontroller. But i guess that is the same as unplug and plug the mains cable not sure if is very healthy for the PS and Amp module to do that all the time. (I have an automation that plays music every time i arrive home :) )

I was thinking to use the i2c to connect to amp modules itself as there are a bunch of values to read like temps etc. I know it could be a lot of work but soon i get the wiring correctly the rest should be just programming fun :) as i'm more familiar with that part.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I didn't understood very well the 90% calculation. You mean just put SMPS in standby still uses 90% of idle energy? I know that i need to use an external power supply (like 12v) to power the micro controller and keep it on independent from rest of amp.
I was also indeed planning to use a Relay to cut the power before SMPS1200, also controlled with microcontroller. But i guess that is the same as unplug and plug the mains cable not sure if is very healthy for the PS and Amp module to do that all the time. (I have an automation that plays music every time i arrive home :) )

I was thinking to use the i2c to connect to amp modules itself as there are a bunch of values to read like temps etc. I know it could be a lot of work but soon i get the wiring correctly the rest should be just programming fun :) as i'm more familiar with that part.
When the amplifier is idling, the SMPS is consuming about 10W, the amplifiers about 1.5W each. 10/13 = 77% (ok, 90% was excessive).
No issue with the external relay cutting everything.

Top Bottom