• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Finished my amp....yay, the last two connections added were /AMPON and /FATAL (Amp Enable and DC Error). I didn't add an on/off switch on the chassis, electing instead to use a wireless remote as I'm lazy. Waiting for speakers now.

John

https://pbase.com/iolair/image/171341630

Looks fantastic! How much are you charging? :p A question: what’s that hardware on the left side mounted to the case wall?

NTSOS

Looking nice & clean setup.

But I still have doubts on that remote switch if it will survive the inrush current at each start up cycle on the long run.

Just to keep things safe!

Hi Sami,

I can always just plug the power into the wall socket. The next one will have a push button with your SMPS.

Is it almost here yet, I haven't checked my mail box lately! :)

John

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Hi Sami,

I can always just plug the power into the wall socket. The next one will have a push button with your SMPS.

Is it almost here yet, I haven't checked my mail box lately! :)

John

Still need more time to release the SMPS1K-PFCR2, that long waiting will result in a SMPS supported with superb futures!

Will update you!

Thanks

NTSOS

Looks fantastic! How much are you charging? :p A question: what’s that hardware on the left side mounted to the case wall?

Hi Billy,

Thanks Bill, I had to look....oh, those are three threaded ceramic standoffs.

The remote is just a wireless wall switch. The next one may have circuit board...or not!

John

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Billy,

Thanks Bill, I had to look....oh, those are three threaded ceramic standoffs.

The remote is just a wireless wall switch. The next one may have circuit board...or not!

John
I see now. Standoffs being used to connect cables together with the screws covered in shrink.

I saw that about the wall switch—I tried to edit my post to get rid of that question!

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
... I will use this remote.....click it and about two or three seconds the amps fire up after the SMPS voltages stabilize. Next two will also use a latching type button with the MicroAudio SMPS.
https://pbase.com/iolair/image/171341791
https://pbase.com/iolair/image/171341790
Interesting. I use a 12V triggered strip to switch mine when I activate my source (which has a remote!).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-34

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anybody thought of using light pipes to connect the EVAL1 LED’s to the front panel? That way you could see the status of both channels without opening up the case.

That’s what Schiit does with some of their products, albeit over shorter distances. The LED’s are on the circuit board and they are piped over to the front panel.

NTSOS

Has anybody thought of using light pipes to connect the EVAL1 LED’s to the front panel? That way you could see the status of both channels without opening up the case.

That’s what Schiit does with some of their products, albeit over shorter distances. The LED’s are on the circuit board and they are piped over to the front panel.

That would be a good idea.

In my situation, the circuit boards in the case are inverted, so the LED's reflect off of the surface the amp is sitting on.

https://pbase.com/iolair/image/171342062

Last edited:

NTSOS

The documentation shows a status connector J16 on page 7. Not sure how this is related to the LED's on the board.

The status connector is not mounted on my board, just four solder points.....says it's not mounted by default, but do not know if it related to the LED's or what R1 is, that says it's required.

mSpot

It's for the I2C digital, serial communications bus to the amps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I²C
Pins 2 and 3 are input or output depending on whether the board is in SW or HW mode. The default is HW mode (described on page 11 of the user's guide) and the pins will carry amplifier fail and ready signals.
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.15.14 AM.png

The FATAL signal is an OR of the on-board fail LEDs of the two channels. It doesn't mention J16 for the READY, but it would be logical that READY on J16 is an AND or OR of the two ready on-board LEDs.
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.42.36 AM.png

In summary, I believe J16 can be used for overall status indicators; it just won't show left and right channel status separately.

D

Deleted member 65

Pins 2 and 3 are input or output depending on whether the board is in SW or HW mode. The default is HW mode (described on page 11 of the user's guide) and the pins will carry amplifier fail and ready signals.
View attachment 106078
The FATAL signal is an OR of the on-board fail LEDs of the two channels. It doesn't mention J16 for the READY, but it would be logical that READY on J16 is an AND or OR of the two ready on-board LEDs.
View attachment 106084
In summary, I believe J16 can be used for overall status indicators; it just won't show left and right channel status separately.

Is it possible to enable SW mode & what would then be the implications?

JaapDeventer

My amp is coming around nicely. It makes music already and Eval1 is switching on and off nicely with mains on smps1200.

I have a question on smps standby:

I have added an 12V input and output in parallel (see picture). I plan to connect the 12V adapter of my streamer to the input. 12V output will go to said streamer.

The smps standby only needs a little power. So I think the streamer adapter is able to power both. This way I circumvent the use of an extra adapter.

The 12V plus I plan to connect to a switch on the face plate and then to J5.1 (smps standby). When the switch is connected position the smps1200 will switch off.

Technically it works fine. Smps turns off with 12V on J5.1 (smps standby) and turns on again 12V is disconnected. I have not tested with music on.

What to do with 12V GND wire? I have connect it to GND of the smps1200 but does it need to be connected to the amp at all? I'm a bit afraid of humming when connecting amp GND with 12V adapter GND.

20210113_194918.jpg

20210114_202338.jpg

20210114_202356.jpg

mSpot

It is documented on page 11. SW mode allows control of the amplifier through the I2C bus.

Attachments

• Purifi EVAL1-Users-Guide page 11.pdf
    327.8 KB · Views: 144
OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AND, those two signals are also on pins 2 and 3 of J3. So..., maybe it's handy to use those on J6 for SMPS interface, and those for J16 for an alternate connection, such as the desired remote indication.the one one

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
mSpot already pointed out how to enable it. See page 18 of the datasheet to see what information it lets you read, and what it lets you control. You'll need to write appropriate software to do this - for an arduino, stm32, esp, Raspberry Pi or similar hardware that has an I2C bus. Whether you use this to light a bunch of LEDs in different situations, present it on a screen or through a web interface is really up to you.

D

Deleted member 65

mSpot already pointed out how to enable it. See page 18 of the datasheet to see what information it lets you read, and what it lets you control. You'll need to write appropriate software to do this - for an arduino, stm32, esp, Raspberry Pi or similar hardware that has an I2C bus. Whether you use this to light a bunch of LEDs in different situations, present it on a screen or through a web interface is really up to you.

I’m aware of what can be done in SW mode, eg retrieve temp. Note my build uses Neurochrome buffers.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/post-579018

Top Bottom