• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

drfous

I have the Purifi case and harness from Ghent, the eval 1 and the hypex 1200-400. The PS powers fine when not connected. When the power and Aux cable are connected, no LED on the PS and no power to the amp board. i did not wire the SpeakOns. Looking a the Aux cable, it appears to be wired backwards. Sent a note to Ghent to confim. Is anyone here able to confirm?
thanks,
Jeff

this is what I have.
C1CB16AF-1E28-47FB-96A2-62D395011848.jpeg
36C22F0F-E0E2-4ADC-A53F-5F3EC85EA54C.jpeg
C1CB16AF-1E28-47FB-96A2-62D395011848.jpeg36C22F0F-E0E2-4ADC-A53F-5F3EC85EA54C.jpeg

jae

Major Contributor
Poor Ghent, they just got the EVAL1 case released and now we will all start asking them for an EVAL2 case.

I think they will only need to offer a different backplate + wiring harness, no?

yardbird

Mine is indeed backwards. I will remove the "tab" and retry. hoping didn't damage anything. I wrote Ghent so I am sure they will fix quickly if this was more than one mistake. Sure do appreciate you taking the time to pull/photo your cable.
JG

yardbird

Up and running! Let it cook for a while and I'll have a listen. Using it in buffered mode. Do folks hear a difference?

Using maggie 1.7i, Schitt freya +, Schitt bifrost 2 and a Bluesound Node 2i.
JG

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
I recently had a nc400 module blow, and poached a module from another monoblock. I was thinking about replacing the module with a purifi one, as they seem to be about the same price and use the same power supply.

That being said, how much work would it be to convert a Ghent nc400 case for use with a purifi module? Is it just a matter of acquiring/fabricating a mounting block and making minor changes to the wiring harness?

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think they will only need to offer a different backplate + wiring harness, no?
Different wiring harness, indeed - need to split connections from one SMPS to two load boards. Needs a new bottom drilling pattern, as well. And the EVAL2 is 15mm longer than the EVAL1. If you're thinking about two channels, why use two EVAL2s instead of one EVAL1? On the other hand, if you're interested in builds of 1, 3, 5 channels, etc., checkout the postings over here, especially from post #16 on for EVAL2:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ifi-monoblock-or-3-channel.17940/#post-583271

Last edited:

diyaudnut

Given the proliferation of input buffers for the purifi modules, has someone considered the excellent topping headphone amp boards as an option?
The NFCA modules used in these could make good input buffers, but are not directly available for such use.

But can the L30, A50s outputs directly drive the Purifier module inputs, with input buffers bypassed.

In other words can these HA outputs directly drive the low impedance inputs of the unbuffered AMP modules?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Given the proliferation of input buffers for the purifi modules, has someone considered the excellent topping headphone amp boards as an option?
The NFCA modules used in these could make good input buffers, but are not directly available for such use.

But can the L30, A50s outputs directly drive the Purifier module inputs, with input buffers bypassed.

In other words can these HA outputs directly drive the low impedance inputs of the unbuffered AMP modules?
How would you interface them to the module?
How would you provide the supplies to the module?
If you need a preamp, why not. For other duties it's just pointless.

NTSOS

Hi...I applied 120 volts to my DIY Purifi Amp build for the first time last night and I got two red led lights on the amp. Is there anything else I should check, like voltages etc....I don't have speakers hooked up yet. I'm a machinist and know nothing about electronics. I modified an aluminum case I built for my CNC Raptor step motor drivers for my Purify Eval1. Thanks.

beren777

Hi...I applied 120 volts to my DIY Purifi Amp build for the first time last night and I got two red led lights on the amp. Is there anything else I should check, like voltages etc....I don't have speakers hooked up yet. I'm a machinist and know nothing about electronics. I modified an aluminum case I built for my CNC Raptor step motor drivers for my Purify Eval1. Thanks.

I can't advise on electronic testing specifics, but just a basic caution, make sure you have something upstream of the amp for a volume control. Your ears and speakers are unlikely to appreciate full gain! Would love to see some pictures of the case you modified and how you have things mounted.

If you are using the Hypex 1200A400 SMPS, to quote JimB, "be sure to set the jumpers at J6 and J7 for UNregulated Aux output."

Last edited:

NTSOS

I can't advise on electronic testing specifics, but just a basic caution, make sure you have something upstream of the amp for a volume control. Your ears and speakers are unlikely to appreciate full gain! Would love to see some pictures of the case you modified and how you have things mounted.

If you are using the Hypex 1200A400 SMPS, to quote JimB, "be sure to set the jumpers at J6 and J7 for UNregulated Aux output."

Hi beren777,

Yes, I do have the j6 and j7 jumpers set for Unregulated.

Here are a few photos, obviously I don't have the top and bottom hatches mounted and the isolation mounts/feet installed.

https://pbase.com/iolair/image/171291734

https://pbase.com/iolair/image/171291733

https://pbase.com/iolair/image/171291732

Thanks.

John

D

Deleted member 65

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Can you post a picture of the active LEDs you described? We might be misinterpreting your request. If you are not saying something is wrong, if you are just asking what to check before connecting speakers, then:
1. With open inputs and power on, use a voltmeter to check the output voltages (red to black) of each channel to confirm they are <50mV DC, and <10 mV AC.
2. If those are good, then power off, connect inputs, power on, play some music, and confirm that the AC voltage readings are now 'something', fluctuating.
3. Turn volume up. AC voltages should go up.
4. All good? Play on!

Top Bottom