• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you’re selling a cure to a nonexistent problem and claiming unlikely sonic differences with no evidentiary support, the last word I would use is “honest.”

iBaloo42

If you’re selling a cure to a nonexistent problem and claiming unlikely sonic differences with no evidentiary support, the last word I would use is “honest.”

Technically, you are right, when you are saying that there is no problem to be resolved by interchanging the OPAMPs; I’ve read about it. I am not debating that.

However, there is a problem that needs a solution. Some people are selecting audio equipment on subjective grounds, and they are very aware of that; many of them are even considering us, people that are paying attention to the concrete measurements, as geeks. I would even say that these subjective-criteria buyers are in the majority, and they are creating this special market demand/segment. One company or another would step to the occasion.

If you would have to sell amps to this market segment, how would you phrase the advertisement material on their behalf, so it would not be distasteful?

TimoJ

I have one of those, but I noticed that I get much better precision with a manual spike like the one in the picture. It has a very sharp tip.

Wera.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Technically, you are right, when you are saying that there is no problem to be resolved by interchanging the OPAMPs; I’ve read about it. I am not debating that.

However, there is a problem that needs a solution. Some people are selecting audio equipment on subjective grounds, and they are very aware of that; many of them are even considering us, people that are paying attention to the concrete measurements, as geeks. I would even say that these subjective-criteria buyers are in the majority, and they are creating this special market demand/segment. One company or another would step to the occasion.

If you would have to sell amps to this market segment, how would you phrase the advertisement material on their behalf, so it would not be distasteful?
You’re making the common error of conflating “subjective” with “totally uncontrolled.” The actual problem is irrationality, and In my mind, exploiting that is not something I could do in good conscience.

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Or you ask Modushop for drilling the rear panel and just have to drill at 3,5 or 4 for the m3 screw...
Nice. Any reason they couldn't also provide those two holes for the screw points that would make the back-panel electrical connection?
1589834227990.png

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
They're not at the level of someone like Ted Denney, but nonetheless, their site makes a lot of questionable sonic claims. This, for example. At least the pricing isn't stupidly high. But it's "solving" a "problem" which doesn't seem to exist.
Smh. There’s nothing wrong with what you linked to. If you don’t think there is a difference in sound between the opamps that’s your opinion, but offering them does not make someone a snake oil salesman. I read what you linked as being honest and straightforward nothing you link to is overhyped, or oversold.

The choices are functional components, as opposed to someone trying to sell the magic wooden block upgrade, todays special only $999.00!!!

PaulD

Smh. If you don’t think there is a difference in sound between the opamps that’s your opinion

No, it's a fact that opamps do NOT sound different when properly used and implemented. This is not an opinion. Implementations may sound different, but it is the implementation at fault and not the opamp. Every engineer knows this. There is an abundance of evidence to support this, such as:
https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/op-amps-myths-facts.html
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/01/measurements-asus-xonar-essence-one-dsd.html

Saying that opamps sound different is just another hifi myth. Bet Scott Wurcer or SIY a bottle of Richebourg or La Tache that you can tell the difference in a properly conducted double blind test.

Smh. There’s nothing wrong with what you linked to.
So the linked text is dishonest because the person behind the amplifiers knows that the opamps sound the same when properly implemented! The text is merely playing on the myth and fear of opamp rolling, it is not providing a properly engineered and argued solution to the problem. Worse, it is providing validity for the false idea that opamps sound different, misleading people.

Remember that everything that can be heard can be measured. We can measure well beyond the the limits of human perception. The specifications of the equipment fully characterises how it will sound.

maty

Major Contributor
Purifi 1ET400A / Hypex NC500 Input Buffer

https://neurochrome.com/products/purifi-1et400a-hypex-nc500-input-buffer?

PuriPex_R2p0_ASSY_800x544.jpg

PuriPex_wVreg_wText_800x544.jpg

[ This input buffer is intended for use with the Purifi 1ET400A and Hypex NC500 Class D amplifier modules.

Unlike other buffers, including the Purifi EVAL1 and the Hypex NC500 Evaluation Board, this Input Buffer will provide a differential output for the Class D amplifier, even if the input to the Buffer is single-ended. This ensures that even a single-ended source can drive the 1ET400A and NC500 to clipping, something the Purifi EVAL1, Hypex NC500 Evaluation Board, and many other input buffers cannot do. Many also report improvements in sound quality when the Purifi 1ET400A and Hypex NC500 are provided a differential input.

The buffer is a single-channel (mono) buffer, with the following features:
  • Differential (balanced, XLR) input, which can easily be configured for single-ended (unbalanced, RCA) operation as well.
  • True differential output with common-mode feedback, which ensures a differential output, even when used with a single-ended source.
  • Jumper-selectable gain: 0 dB and 13.2 dB for a total amplifier gain of 12.8 dB and 26.0 dB, respectively, when used with the Purifi 1ET400A.
  • Gain can be further customized by adding a resistor (1206 size SMD and leaded/PTH supported).
  • Plug-and-play connection with Hypex SMPS1200 and future Purifi power supply.
  • Opamp power supply: Use the AUX supply provided by the SMPS1200, or add your own regulator. A small daughterboard with support for the Hypex HPR/HNR, LM7812/LM7912, and LM78L12/LM79L12 is available as a product option.
  • Status indicator LED output (NC500: CLIP and READY; 1ET400A: READY).
  • Speaker output is provided both on 6.3 × 0.81 mm quick-connect spades and a terminal block accepting up to AWG 10 (5.2 mm2) in size.
In addition, the following options are provided for advanced users:
  • The buffer can be disabled by removing two resistors. A three-pin connector footprint provides direct access to the Purifi 1ET400A / Hypex NC500 input.
  • A two-pin connector footprint provides access to the remote sensing pins of the Purifi 1ET400A / Hypex NC500. ]

D

Deleted member 65

« Unlike other buffers, including the Purifi EVAL1 and the Hypex NC500 Evaluation Board, this Input Buffer will provide a differential output for the Class D amplifier »

NOOOO it’s a mistake

With a differential input the EVAL1 provide a differential output to 1ET400
See the diagram below
View attachment 64372

”... even if the input to the Buffer is single-ended.”
Missed that part of the sentence ...

starfly

Forum Donor
Had an email exchange with Purifi, and they'll be releasing a mono input buffer next month with XLR/Speakon, XLR/Banana or no pre-installed sockets. No word yet on pricing.

Not sure yet if I should get the Neurochrome or go all Purifi.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Had an email exchange with Purifi, and they'll be releasing a mono input buffer next month with XLR/Speakon, XLR/Banana or no pre-installed sockets. No word yet on pricing.

Not sure yet if I should get the Neurochrome or go all Purifi.
Interesting, did they mention anything about the connection system to the power supply?

pos

Forum Donor
What I like the most about the neurochrome offering is the 0dB buffered option.

What I would really like to see is an integrated DAC chip, with a 0dBFS output level matching sensitivity, and of course noise and distortion figures matching those of the amp...

Stereo buffer, USB and spdif inputs, ...
That would solve so many problems at once!

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
What I like the most about the neurochrome offering is the 0dB buffered option.

What I would really like to see is an integrated DAC chip, with a 0dBFS output level matching sensitivity, and of course noise and distortion figures matching those of the amp...

Stereo buffer, USB and spdif inputs, ...
That would solve so many problems at once!
The DAC board is an idea floating in the air since a while now. The NC500 datasheet even provides schematics on how to interface a voltage out DAC to the NC500.
It's in my to-do list, one day maybe.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
No, but they did share this CAD drawing:

View attachment 64404

They otherwise mentioned it uses the same buffer/gain stage, but a improved low noise regulator.
Interesting! I wonder why they would offer this. It is not required for amp module evaluation. Or is it? Does an (even) lower noise Vreg provide any amp output improvements? Otherwise, it is transitioning into a space they said they would not occupy - end user solutions. Anyway, I like it for odd-channel DIY builds (1, 3, 5). Price???

Top Bottom