• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Synergy4

Nice work. That's quite some power you have there. If you don't mind, how much would this cost if components/case were purchased separately? I'd love to have that much Purifi power...
The Ghent NCORE-SE(300W) Stereo Case-Kit (300mm x 315mm) is $250, shipped.

FILSHU DE-14-F6 IEC320 C14 inlet with switch & fuse holder (Amazon ), $9.00 shipped.

The Purifi modules, Neurochrome buffers and the Hypex power supplies, were bought from people on a Forum, so the price was more attractive than normal retail.

The pair of Purifi 1ET400A modules with a brand new Hypex SMPS1200A400 power supply was $800 shipped.

The pair of Neurochrome buffers was $195 shipped.

Total Cost ~ $1254.00 ($250 + $800 + $195 + $9), which is more than a VTV Eval1 Purifi amplifer ($1,089.00)

The Purifi EVAL1 kit ($722) would be cheaper than the separate pair of Purifi modules ($658) & pair of Neurochrome buffers ($250), if buying retail.

Vavilen

The Ghent NCORE-SE(300W) Stereo Case-Kit (300mm x 315mm) is $250, shipped.

FILSHU DE-14-F6 IEC320 C14 inlet with switch & fuse holder (Amazon ), $9.00 shipped.

The Purifi modules, Neurochrome buffers and the Hypex power supplies, were bought from people on a Forum, so the price was more attractive than normal retail.

The pair of Purifi 1ET400A modules with a brand new Hypex SMPS1200A400 power supply was $800 shipped.

The pair of Neurochrome buffers was $195 shipped.

Total Cost ~ $1254.00 ($250 + $800 + $195 + $9), which is more than a VTV Eval1 Purifi amplifer ($1,089.00)

The Purifi EVAL1 kit ($722) would be cheaper than the separate pair of Purifi modules ($658) & pair of Neurochrome buffers ($250), if buying retail.
Hi @Synergy4 !
Do you like how it sounds?
Would you recommend to go with Neurochrome buffers or use buffers from EVAL1 kit?

Synergy4

Hi @Synergy4 !
Would you recommend to go with Neurochrome buffers or use buffers from EVAL1 kit?
I like the sound, no complaints. Now I need to look at improving my speakers, which I have had for about 24 years. I have been considering the Revel M105/106 but all the local dealers appear to be Audio contractors putting in fancy automation and theater systems. The KEF R3 could be found at real retailer (BestBuy). There are not many high end stereo stores anymore & none in the SF bay area apparently that handle Revel. Even Madrona Digital is in the business of custom fancy automation and theater systems.

I think it depends on your budget, The Purifi Eval 1 option is cheaper.

Of course, the VTV Eval1 option is the cheapest option: https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/

The Neurochrome buffers are fully differential: https://neurochrome.com/collections/buffers-preamps/products/purifi-1et400a-hypex-nc500-input-buffer

"Unlike other buffers, including the Purifi EVAL1 and the Hypex NC500 Evaluation Board, this Input Buffer will provide a differential output for the Class D amplifier, even if the input to the Buffer is single-ended."

But I am using differential inputs, so it probably does not really make any difference in my Application. I just connected the new Purifi power amplifier to my Adcom GFP750 preamp with Amazon XLR mike cables.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Is someday I build a DIY Purifi, the SMPS by Cresnet / MicroAudio

[ I have used Sami's SMPS for a year, and they are super reliable!

Since then, I have bought a total of 6 SMPS from him, now most of my power amps are converted to SMPS, they are my M2x, F6, J2, USSA5, and V4H. I ran without any fan, as I hate those fan noise especially late at night.

The USSA5 is my workhorse, it sings every day for a year without any incidents. F6 ran @1.7A bias! (Tungsten Audio recommended 1.8A, but it's too much for my current heatsinks capacity. M2x ran without any Mumetal cover, Edcor is naked, yet zero hum at the speakers. J2 got the cleanest REW results of all my amps.

Line frequency 50Hz, you only get to see them in REW, no hum in the speakers, as they are about -90db, some even exceed -100db!

I used to spend hours or days troubleshooting ground loop humming, lost quite a few hairs! Now they are just gone, I don't know why exactly, but I m happy!

These SMPSs love huge capacitance at the output rails, powered up without any hiccup every time, period!

It's a new world, try one for yourself, if you don't like it, can always go back to linear PS.

Sharing my joy.

Cheers! ]

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @Synergy4 !
The major advantage of the Neurochrome buffers, is they avoid the on board connections of the Eval 1 which may at some point need repair or maintenance (in theory). I also like that the Neurochrome allows use of the 300mm Ghent chassis rather than the dedicated 270 mm Purifi one. Gives everything more room to breathe. Would cost a little more, and would require more diy expertise, but would probably yield a product with better ergonomics and reliability which sounds every bit as good as the original Eigentact VTV offers.

Chester

Hey

I’m hoping you guys can help. I’ve a Purifi amp (already assembled) but I’ve mixed the power lead in with all my others. It’s a single Hypex 1200 configuration with stereo Purifi modules. Which fuse should the power lead have?

Thanks in advance.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Hey

I’m hoping you guys can help. I’ve a Purifi amp (already assembled) but I’ve mixed the power lead in with all my others. It’s a single Hypex 1200 configuration with stereo Purifi modules. Which fuse should the power lead have?

Thanks in advance.
Which country are you in, the UK?

Many countries don't have a fuse in the plug, like the UK.

UK plugs typically have a 3, 5 or 13 amp fuse and for a power amp, I would use a 13amp. For something like a CD player or preamp, I might use a 3 or 5 amp.

Chester

Which country are you in, the UK?

Many countries don't have a fuse in the plug, like the UK.

UK plugs typically have a 3, 5 or 13 amp fuse and for a power amp, I would use a 13amp. For something like a CD player or preamp, I might use a 3 or 5 amp.

Yes, in the UK. Thanks, I’ll look for a 13a fused power lead in my collection.

fraa

679D9B07-503A-45B6-A99B-3224E6C50998.jpeg

Finally I am satisfied with my build. My first ever.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Yes, in the UK. Thanks, I’ll look for a 13a fused power lead in my collection.
Interesting.

What case have you used for your Purify? And where have you sourced it?

Thanks.

fraa

Very nice! Congrats!
Thanks!
Interesting.

What case have you used for your Purify? And where have you sourced it?

Thanks.
I am not sure if you are asking me, but I will assume you are.
The case is BZ3809H it is available from Ali Express and Ebay. I got it from Ali.

I wanted silver roundish case. I looked for it using google image search. It was a bit too big, but I liked the shape. Since my previous amp (which I've already sold off) was even bigger, I thought it would be ok. The result was that I had a big empty space inside the case. So I decided to add the VU meter.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Thanks!

I am not sure if you are asking me, but I will assume you are.
The case is BZ3809H it is available from Ali Express and Ebay. I got it from Ali.

I wanted silver roundish case. I looked for it using google image search. It was a bit too big, but I liked the shape. Since my previous amp (which I've already sold off) was even bigger, I thought it would be ok. The result was that I had a big empty space inside the case. So I decided to add the VU meter.
I was asking the person I quoted (Chester) as another UK-ite

But yours is useful info also.

Top Bottom