• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Can someone explain, if its only the Hypex buffer which is not recommended for general home use, or also the Purifi EVAL1 board as well?

If so, basically our choices are pre-built or Neurochrome?
The Hypex has no EMI filtering at the input, the Purifi does, which makes it OK for home use.
The Hypex can't be sourced for DIY, but you find it in some pre-built.

kukocz

Forum Donor
+
it's directly soldered on the board, so if used with locking bananas it allows a very good connection.
What about BFA vs locking banana?
BFA plugs seems to put quite a big pressure inside the banana socket. Are they really much worse than locking ones?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
What about BFA vs locking banana?
BFA plugs seems to put quite a big pressure inside the banana socket. Are they really much worse than locking ones?
Never used BFA. I wonder if the pressure will not decrease with time.
In the case of the eval2, they may put strain on the PCB during the plugging operation, which is an issue. Locking bananas don't have this problem.

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
+
it's directly soldered on the board, so if used with locking bananas it allows a very good connection.
-
Spades, raw wire, ... can't be used.
It's kind of fugly, but this is purely subjective.
I agree. Traditional binding posts are more versatile - Purifi used them on their demo units. I prefer them (gold plated copper). The on-board DELTRON-style sockets are silver plated and implemented very well with the feedback sense being taken after the point of contact. They are plenty substantial. One could easily create a worse alternative if not implemented with high quality parts, good method and good technique. I’m sure Z plugs and BFA can be used.

Last edited:
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Is there a measurement for Fugly in electronics? Like the "JJ.Thompson Fugly scale" that measures in increments of 9.10938356?
I’ll defend the appearance - there’s hardly anything there to offend. The finish can be extremely clean. And it is dead cheap to execute.
1603434976919.png

Last edited:

zappa

The on-board DELRON sockets are silver plated and implemented very well with the feedback sense being taken after the point of contact.

You are talking about the ones that are supplied with EVAL1 ?

JayR

I would like to ask members for feedback, in particular those who have experience, or have used the alternative power supply made by Micro Audio in their purifi builds. Is anyone able to give an opinion, with regards to how they compare to the hypex builds in terms of quality and performance?

JayR

I am yet to receive it and build my amps
Good luck with the build I wish you a great success. I ordered mine today ETA is 2-3 weeks. You can check out Luc's build, its a few pages back, he's well impressed.

Reactions: wje

JayR

Never used BFA. I wonder if the pressure will not decrease with time.
In the case of the eval2, they may put strain on the PCB during the plugging operation, which is an issue. Locking bananas don't have this problem.
BFA'S are often found in cyrus amps and arcam stuff from what I remember. I don't know if this is still the case the plastic sleeve is designed to absorb the pressure, you can remove it and it becomes more like a normal plug.

c2371

Can anyone here provide some color on the Eval1 and how it relates to proper grounding/AES48 in a DIY build with a case like the one from Ghent? I'm not an expert (and not to reopen the can of worms from elsewhere on the forums!), but from what I can gather the XLR connectors mounted on the Eval1 board wouldn't be "properly" grounded. And a step further, given the proximity of input board to the case, it seems that desoldering and rewiring the connectors would be a challenge. Counterpoint would be that Purifi's own demo units seem to use the Eval1 as-is, so I'm curious if there are any issues.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone here provide some color on the Eval1 and how it relates to proper grounding/AES48 in a DIY build with a case like the one from Ghent? I'm not an expert (and not to reopen the can of worms from elsewhere on the forums!), but from what I can gather the XLR connectors mounted on the Eval1 board wouldn't be "properly" grounded. And a step further, given the proximity of input board to the case, it seems that desoldering and rewiring the connectors would be a challenge. Counterpoint would be that Purifi's own demo units seem to use the Eval1 as-is, so I'm curious if there are any issues.
My understanding is that pin one is grounded via the stand offs on the front of the Eval 1. You just have to make sure the coating is removed from the contact point with the bottom of the Ghent chassis.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
My understanding is that pin one is grounded via the stand offs on the front of the Eval 1. You just have to make sure the coating is removed from the contact point with the bottom of the Ghent chassis.
The 'shield' contact of that socket has a small metal tooth that bites into the back of the rear panel when the mounting screw is tightened up.

Various holes in the base of the Ghent case are cleared (laser textured) for ground contact, but none of the available photos show if there is a "bright spot" at any of the holes for the FE02B board.
https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/purifi-eval1-se.html

wineds

Ghent shared a photo of a completed amp with the stock EVAL1 board set PLUS speakON connectors! So, I think they will be available to order soon. I believe they will be offered with all required cables, in which case people who just want to assemble will now have an option. There's even a simple way one could connect the speakONs without soldering (requires a special jumper cable, maybe not from Ghent). I hope pricing will be similar to their other cases.
View attachment 88219

Now, where are mine with binding posts? ;)

This really needs an IEC module with a fuse holder. I checked the Hypex PS datasheet and the soldered on board fuse is 12A slow blow? If running on 240VAC a lot of damage can occur before that blows!

Reactions: wje

cooldude

Forum Donor
Anyone looking to buy purifi modules without buffer? Checking if we can organize a GB. PM me if interested..

JayR

Anyone looking to buy purifi modules without buffer? Checking if we can organize a GB. PM me if interested..
When I contacted them about the Eval 2 they said it should be available mid November. I wonder if they may update the amp boards at the same time! I'm certainly interested in a group buy, where are you based?

Top Bottom