• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

starfly

Forum Donor
OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm I've got different response from Purifi... :rolleyes:
Interesting. Input impedance is not "specified" in their documentation, but it IS shown in the equivalent input schematic. My boards, purchased earlier this year, all have 47k. The parts on the board have certainly changed, as we see in your photos, as well as your meter test (and the referenced email). This is a significant change, potentially, yet the web page still shows 47k (Rev 1.20 documentation). If you download the User Guide, there is now a Rev. 1.22, which also still shows 47k resistors. Getting behind on paperwork...

thmeky

Hi guys, I am a long time lurker on this forum, but this is my first post.

My previous AV gear has been sold a few years back, because it was not compatible with the interior of the new house we had bought, according to my ex. A relationship is about giving and taking, so I did not really mind at the time. Celebrating my newly gained freedom, I am planning to buy some new equipment.

At first, I was planning to buy the NAD T778 receiver, but I suppose I can build something better myself. I do not have a lot of experience with DIY projects, but I hold a BSc in EE. Although professionally, I have shifted towards a more business oriented role over the years.

So, I am planning to:
1. Build a PC that runs JRiver and Dirac Live for Studio MC.
2. Attach the PC to a Okto Research DAC8 pro
3. Attach the DAC to a 7-channel Purifi based power amp. I am not going to pay €5.000,- for the upcoming NAD M28, so I would like to build something myself.
4. Attach the amplifier to KEF R-series speakers and a Arendal 1723 1S subwoofer.

As I understand, the DAC can be configured with a custom output voltage, forgoing the need of an input buffer (for all of the outputs except the subwoofer). The measured output impedance of the DAC is low enough to be attached directly to the amp and the signal path will be cleaner, as I am not interested in adding any 'warm sounding' harmonic distortion through a buffer. If the sound is too flat for my taste, I can always use a curve in Dirac. Are there any disadvantages to this solution that I have overlooked? What would be the appropriate output voltage for the DAC? The DAC can be used to control the master volume right?

It is feasible to power 7 Purifi modules with a single Hypex SMPS3KA400? I am planning to make some L-shaped aluminium brackets, to attach the Purifi modules vertically-oriented to the bottom plate of the enclosure, stacked side by side, over the full length of the back of the enclosure. The input and output wires will run directly to the connectors on the back plate. The power inputs will run towards the front, attached to the SMPS in parallel, which is housed in a shielded sub-enclosure. A separate 12V SMPS will be used to power a few Noctua fans attached to the top plate to draw out the hot air and to make use of the standby capabilities of the Hypex SMPS, so soft start can be used, preferably with a delay relay.

Any comments on my ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I would like to use these units, not the EVAL board:
https://purifi-audio.com/vare/1et400a-3/

The connector on this board is meant to be attached to another PCB right? Do proper commercial, of the shelf adapters exist to connect all the necessary wires?

Last edited:

starfly

Forum Donor
Hi guys, I am a long time lurker on this forum, but this is my first post.

My previous AV gear has been sold a few years back, because it was not compatible with the interior of the new house we had bought, according to my ex. A relationship is about giving and taking, so I did not really mind at the time. Celebrating my newly gained freedom, I am planning to buy some new equipment.

At first, I was planning to buy the NAD T778 receiver, but I suppose I can build something better myself. I do not have a lot of experience with DIY projects, but I hold a BSc in EE. Although professionally, I have shifted towards a more business oriented role over the years.

So, I am planning to:
1. Build a PC that runs JRiver and Dirac Live for Studio MC.
2. Attach the PC to a Okto Research DAC8 pro
3. Attach the DAC to a 7-channel Purifi based power amp. I am not going to pay €5.000,- for the upcoming NAD M28, so I would like to build something myself.
4. Attach the amplifier to KEF R-series speakers and a Arendal 1723 1S subwoofer.

As I understand, the DAC can be configured with a custom output voltage, forgoing the need of an input buffer (for all of the outputs except the subwoofer). The measured output impedance of the DAC is low enough to be attached directly to the amp and the signal path will be cleaner, as I am not interested in adding any 'warm sounding' harmonic distortion through a buffer. If the sound is too flat for my taste, I can always use a curve in Dirac. Are there any disadvantages to this solution that I have overlooked? What would be the appropriate output voltage for the DAC? The DAC can be used to control the master volume right?

It is feasible to power 7 Purifi modules with a single Hypex SMPS3KA400? I am planning to make some L-shaped aluminium brackets, to attach the Purifi modules vertically-oriented to the bottom plate of the enclosure, stacked side by side, over the full length of the back of the enclosure. The input and output wires will run directly to the connectors on the back plate. The power inputs will run towards the front, attached to the SMPS in parallel, which is housed in a shielded sub-enclosure. A separate 12V SMPS will be used to power a few Noctua fans attached to the top plate to draw out the hot air and to make use of the standby capabilities of the Hypex SMPS, so soft start can be used, preferably with a delay relay.

Any comments on my ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I would like to use these units, not the EVAL board:
https://purifi-audio.com/vare/1et400a-3/

The connector on this board is meant to be attached to another PCB right? Do proper commercial, of the shelf adapters exist to connect all the necessary wires?

For your last question, if you don't want to use an input buffer, you might have to figure out yourself how to attach all the wires. If you want to make it easier, you can get something like the Neurochrome input buffers: https://neurochrome.com/products/purifi-1et400a-hypex-nc500-input-buffer

I went the Neurochrome buffer in my route in my build, which is almost complete. Currently a dual-mono setup, and will eventually expand to a 3ch setup.

I otherwise have the same idea as you to eventually add the 8ch Okto DAC and add a mini PC with Dirac Live Studio, but in my case it'll be for 2.2ch music listening.

starfly

Forum Donor
Well, I figured out the relay board. Now I can turn on the amp with a front power switch or with either of the 12V triggers I added.

20200723_124704.jpg

starfly

Forum Donor
If you are using the Neurochrome buffers, then you will need this for a cleaner setup.
I still can design one to three outputs PCB if needed?
View attachment 74826

That's neat! I would have used something like that if it was available when I was purchasing all the parts for my build. As it is, I already spliced cables together. But this will be great for people that will start a new build and will be doing a dual-mono setup.

starfly

Forum Donor
So, giving this amp a spin right now, driving my Revel F206 speakers, and being fed from my Yamaha A2070 AVR. My very highly subjective impression is that they drive my Revels very well, and it seems like there is slightly more detail and clarity in the mids and highs than I'm used to hearing when driven directly from the AVR. Also appears to be better imaging, wider soundstage. But, I'm also listening more closely than I normally do, so maybe I'm just imagining it :)

It certainly doesn't sound off!

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Understood. You can offer a PCB with one input to two outputs, and one input to three outputs, not from 1-3 outputs. You should have some takers. :)

LondonLad

Anyone have any suggestions for a suitable preamp (passive or active) that matches well (preserves the sonic neutrality) with the basic Purifi build (Hypex and Purifi board only)? My only requirements are a remote and three inputs (doesn't matter to me if balanced, unbalanced, and it would be a bonus to have a coax or light).

I've tried several preamps (Parasound, PrimaLuna, Adcom, JDS Labs) but I can perceive color. Nothing, so far, bests going straight from source to amp but that imposes a limitation of one source at a time. So I'm wondering if maybe I've got a mismatch in impedance with the preamps that I've tried so far?

Casey Leedom

I know this is the DIY thread for Purifi Amplifier builds, and I've been trying to see if there's any way I could take on the project myself, but honestly just wanting to buy the solution I want — a 7 channel Purifi Amplifier, with 12V Trigger input. I had pestered Nord, and they said no. I was waiting endlessly for the Lyngdorf MXA-8400, an 8-channel solution designed by Bruno's partners ... But now it looks like Nad may have a product out in the very near future that's exactly what I want in the $5K-ish range. It sounds like exactly what I've been waiting for ... not if only we can get one for @amirm to test ... :)

Casey

D

Deleted member 65

So, all components has arrived and about to start my build. Any good proposals on templates to use to align amps/screwholes aso?

1595667413940.jpeg

starfly

Forum Donor
I know this is the DIY thread for Purifi Amplifier builds, and I've been trying to see if there's any way I could take on the project myself, but honestly just wanting to buy the solution I want — a 7 channel Purifi Amplifier, with 12V Trigger input. I had pestered Nord, and they said no. I was waiting endlessly for the Lyngdorf MXA-8400, an 8-channel solution designed by Bruno's partners ... But now it looks like Nad may have a product out in the very near future that's exactly what I want in the $5K-ish range. It sounds like exactly what I've been waiting for ... not if only we can get one for @amirm to test ... :)

Casey
I'll build you one if you buy all the parts :p (probably not a good idea as I just finished my first build, but with two 12V triggers).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Casey
NAD M28 is a 7 channel Purifi based amp that was just released around 4k usd.
https://nadelectronics.com/product/m28-seven-channel-power-amplifier/

Top Bottom