• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Umm... I have to admit seeing what I would consider a problem here though. Observation is part of the scientific method, and should not be ridiculed. When members on this site ridicule observation, it is science denial. Indeed, observation is only part of the scientific method, but it is a valid part. Jumping all over someone who all reports his observations, no matter how subjective they may be, does not do a service to anything, or anyone: there would be no science without observation.

Most people purchase audio equipment based on their subjective evaluation. There is no right and wrong when it comes to personal preferences. I suppose there are those who simply compare specs and make their purchases accordingly, and live with the results. Nothing wrong with either approach. As a former engineer, I understand full well the need for objective design criteria and the value of testing and evaluation. As an engineer at Boeing, it could be the difference between life and death, with black and white results. Audio isn't life and death. Competent audio designers can and do design and produce products that test and measure superlatively with fantastic performance, thought, at the end of the day, it's the customer's evaluation, nearly always subjective, that matters most in the marketplace and in the listening room.

orangejello

If there are concerns about idle power loss, wouldn't it be easier to wire in a relay between line and power supply that is controlled by remote trigger or music sense? Then your idle power loss is limited to relay + sense circuit. Novice AIYer here, asking because I don't know any better.
I love that my NAD M22 v2 does exactly that. It turns on with a music signal and turns off after around 30 minutes of no signal. Maybe some Purifi builders will implement that as a value added.

starfly

Forum Donor
Well well well, looks like all my stuff is arriving by Monday, except the case, which I haven't even ordered yet. Thought I had more time. Oops.

Time to make a CAD drawing and some decisions on what all cutouts I want.

And time to build a workbench so I actually have space to work on all this. Did buy a miter saw last weekend, so that should be a fun little project as well (not audio related though).

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Well well well, looks like all my stuff is arriving by Monday, except the case, which I haven't even ordered yet. Thought I had more time. Oops. ...
Take all the time you like!

pos

Forum Donor
I understand less waste power is generally better than more, but, you seem to be very interested in saving just a few watts, in idle. Will you be leaving it "on" 24/7?
That is what I am currently doing.

With the nc400+SMPS600 combo, efficiency for typicality listening levels is probably lower than 10%.
Don't you think this is something worth addressing and optimizing?

starfly

Forum Donor
Any suggestions for which jumper to get for the SMPS1200 that will allow me to set it to 115Vac? The manual only provides a connector part number, but that's not actually a jumper.

barrows

I just removed the header, and soldered an insulated wire across through the holes, as I am never going to need to set it to 230 VAC. I made sure to use a FEP (teflon) insulated wire so the insulation would stay intact during soldering (FEP has very high heat resistance).

starfly

Forum Donor
I just removed the header, and soldered an insulated wire across through the holes, as I am never going to need to set it to 230 VAC. I made sure to use a FEP (teflon) insulated wire so the insulation would stay intact during soldering (FEP has very high heat resistance).

Thanks. In my situation I'd prefer to keep the flexibility of being able to switch to 230 VAC. I live in the US now, but I've lived in other countries in the past where they had ~220VAC. And not sure yet if the US will be my final place of residence :)

starfly

Forum Donor
The SMPS1200 cable set I bought with the power supply did include this connector + crimps that fit on J3. Think I should try to turn this into a jumper by taking a short wire, crimping both ends and putting it in this connector?
20200601_112719.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Looks right to me. If you have any excess length on your MAINS wires from that set, cut off a bit of the brown and use that.

Last edited:

starfly

Forum Donor
Any of you know whether J5 on the SMPS1200 can also supply regulated voltage? In the SMPS1200 documentation it doesn't explicitly state that it does, and that it only supplies regulated voltage through J4. I need regulated voltage as I'll be using a Neurochrome buffer board.

Also, will any old 10awg copper wire work for connecting binding posts to the board? Or do I need fairy dust wire?

Last edited:
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Any of you know whether J5 on the SMPS1200 can also supply regulated voltage? In the SMPS1200 documentation it doesn't explicitly state that it does, and that it only supplies regulated voltage through J4...
That is my understanding. To get Vaux regulated down, you will want to use J4, and set J6&7, accordingly.
... Also, will any old 10awg copper wire work for connecting binding posts to the board? Or do I need fairy dust wire?
No fairy dust. And I see no benefit in using 10 AWG for 1-2 inches inside the case. Worse, I doubt getting a good connection to the PCB with such heavy wire.

IF you are NOT going to use the sense signal connection to the output sockets, then two pieces of 16 AWG are likely more than adequate (= 13 AWG, but better connected to the PCB). Otherwise, by using the sense connection to the output connector, you can use one piece of 16 AWG, or two pieces of 18 AWG and still be 'perfect'.

starfly

Forum Donor
That is my understanding. To get Vaux regulated down, you will want to use J4, and set J6&7, accordingly.

No fairy dust. And I see no benefit in using 10 AWG for 1-2 inches inside the case. Worse, I doubt getting a good connection to the PCB with such heavy wire.

IF you are NOT going to use the sense signal connection to the output sockets, then two pieces of 16 AWG are likely more than adequate (= 13 AWG, but better connected to the PCB). Otherwise, by using the sense connection to the output connector, you can use one piece of 16 AWG, or two pieces of 18 AWG and still be 'perfect'.

Thanks. I'm using the Neurochrome input buffer, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have that feature. The speaker wire terminals support up to 10 Awg, so figured I'd just do that. I can also take some leftover speaker wire I have (12 awg) and use that. It's the basic Monoprice OFC variety.

As for the regulated voltage thing, I'll shoot Hypex an email just to confirm.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Sorry - you said that. :oops: 10AWG is still overkill for a few inches, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it if you get good connections on it.

starfly

Forum Donor
So Hypex confirmed that J4 on the SMPS1200 is the only way to get regulated voltage.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Modu shop received back from Purifi the GX288 case CAD files with the necessary holes to be compatible with the EVAL1 kit. It costs some $ extra.
Have fun! :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Modu shop received back from Purifi the GX288 case CAD files with the necessary holes to be compatible with the EVAL1 kit. It costs some $ extra.
Have fun! :)
How much and could Purifi do that for owners of the 300mm Ghent Case?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How much and could Purifi do that for owners of the 300mm Ghent Case?
Please ask Modu shop for quotes.
As for the Ghent case, maybe if you ask Ghent for the CAD drawings of the case and send to Purifi they can probably do the same.

Top Bottom