• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

grobalt

Looks interesting! Which module would you recommend?
ask him, this depends on your target, how many channel to add in the same chassis etc. i have the very first version of the 1k smps, now it is already 3rd gen with nice improvements

Vavilen

ask him, this depends on your target, how many channel to add in the same chassis etc. i have the very first version of the 1k smps, now it is already 3rd gen with nice improvements
I have 2 x (Purifi + Neurchrome buffer) channels. Do I need 1 1k smps for each channel?

k525

Hi guys

I want to share this experience with PURIFI technical support, as I wrote on this same thread a few weeks ago, my PURIFI Eval1 Kit has always had the problem of a frequent BUMP on power up (more than a BUMP it was a SHOT!) , I decided to write both to Soundimports support (from which I bought it) and directly to PURIFI, both suggested to send back the EVAL KIT for investigations.
PURIFI herself was very professional and suggested that I send the KIT directly to them, as soon as they received the KIT they repaired it in a few hours and sent it back.

Today I received it and after many tests I am convinced that the problem is actually solved!

I am very satisfied with PURIFI's product and support, I recommend it to everyone !!

TimoJ

Hi guys

I want to share this experience with PURIFI technical support, as I wrote on this same thread a few weeks ago, my PURIFI Eval1 Kit has always had the problem of a frequent BUMP on power up (more than a BUMP it was a SHOT!) , I decided to write both to Soundimports support (from which I bought it) and directly to PURIFI, both suggested to send back the EVAL KIT for investigations.
PURIFI herself was very professional and suggested that I send the KIT directly to them, as soon as they received the KIT they repaired it in a few hours and sent it back.

Today I received it and after many tests I am convinced that the problem is actually solved!

I am very satisfied with PURIFI's product and support, I recommend it to everyone !!
Interesting: last March I bought one EVAL2 kit also from Soundimports and it had occasional very loud "snap" sound from the connected speaker when powering up. It sounded very similar to what you get when you connect high DC voltage directly to tweeter...

In November I finally contacted Purifi and sent the unit there and it was fixed in few hours. Sounds like they have released a bad patch of these amp modules. My older EVAL1 kit doesn't have this issue, only the normal very quiet "snap".

Did they tell you what they fixed? I asked, but got no reply. I didn't notice any changed parts. Maybe they just reprogrammed the controller chip on the vertical PCB?

k525

Interesting: last March I bought one EVAL2 kit also from Soundimports and it had occasional very loud "snap" sound from the connected speaker when powering up. It sounded very similar to what you get when you connect high DC voltage directly to tweeter...

In November I finally contacted Purifi and sent the unit there and it was fixed in few hours. Sounds like they have released a bad patch of these amp modules. My older EVAL1 kit doesn't have this issue, only the normal very quiet "snap".

Did they tell you what they fixed? I asked, but got no reply. I didn't notice any changed parts. Maybe they just reprogrammed the controller chip on the vertical PCB?
Hi Timo

I purchased my EVAL1 in Giune

In my case they replaced the EVAL1 board (stereo input buffer), I know because the s/n changed, I'm pretty sure the problem was well known, the first thing they asked me by email was this s/n

I am also sure that the current EVAL1 does not have any issue

In any case they was very professional

Regards

Last edited:

Davide

Anyone know is there any interface card for 1ET400A modules that does not integrate any buffers? (signal input, speaker output, output sense and power connections only).
I ask this because I don't need the buffer, so spending 140 euros more for the EVAL1 than the cost of the power modules alone seems wasteful to me.
Already it seems to me that the cost of the Purifi is not justified compared to a Hypex ... but for the peace of mind and curiosity I would like to try it.

alexis

Audio Company
Does anyone know how to QC a finished Purifi amp? For example, I can use a mic to measure a speaker. How to do this with an amp?

Vavilen

Sorry, a bit of a late reply :) Below a picture of my build from last year with Neurochrome buffer and speaker protection circuit. All still works great a year later. The 12 VDC power supply in the bottom right provides standby power to the Hypex SMPS1200A400, and the red relay board in the top right provides trigger functionality to my amp (I have 2 trigger inputs).

If I were to do it all over again I would probably create a little PCB to more cleanly distribute power to the two amp modules. Now it's an ugly hack job with splicing wires, but hey, it works! And with the cover on, no one is the wiser :)

View attachment 158783
Hi @starfly ! Could you please share what are the speakers protection plates do you use? And what is the grey signal cable? I'm also building my amp with Neurochrome buffers and cannot find the cable. Thanks!

thulle

Does anyone know how to QC a finished Purifi amp? For example, I can use a mic to measure a speaker. How to do this with an amp?

Cosmos ADC or QA403, combined with a load of some kind. Or buy a Audio Precision like Amir has :)

Synergy4

Hi @starfly ! Could you please share what are the speakers protection plates do you use? And what is the grey signal cable? I'm also building my amp with Neurochrome buffers and cannot find the cable. Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SR3S2W3

1646200478683.png

Last edited:

starfly

Forum Donor
The gray ribbon cable you mean? That is connected to the SMPS. Don't remember what it does, I think just communication between amp modules and SMPS.

Speaker protection is also from Neurochrome, 2x the Guardian-86 if I remember correctly.

The actual ribbon cable I bought was this:

And then the connectors that go with it:

You'll want to get 3 connectors if you're doing a dual-mono + single SMPS setup. The 2nd connector you can just click into the ribbon cable anywhere in the middle. Play around with the positioning of the connectors so there isn't too much or too little slack in the cable before attaching them to the cable.

Last edited:

Synergy4

That is what I did with the pair of cables from Amazon, by pulling off one of the connectors on one of the cables & added the additional connector to the other cable. It was a simple & cost effective way of locating the ribbon cable & connectors.

Top.jpg

Top Bottom