• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Where to find more info on that microaudio SMPS? my HYPEX SMPS1200 died today and hypex as usual won't help, they ask to send the unit back for repair, which i cannot do because of shipping cost and also bad support.
How would you expect them to behave to consider that they give you good support?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where to find more info on that microaudio SMPS? my HYPEX SMPS1200 died today and hypex as usual won't help, they ask to send the unit back for repair, which i cannot do because of shipping cost and also bad support.
See if Rick Sykora can help you. I agree with you 100 percent on Hypex. Sent mine back 3 times and Rick was the guy who fixed it for me. As far as I'm concerned Hypex was useless.

Eventually, Purifi will make their own SMPS which will solve this problem.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See if Rick Sykora can help you. I agree with you 100 percent on Hypex. Sent mine back 3 times and Rick was the guy who fixed it for me. As far as I'm concerned Hypex was useless.

Eventually, Purifi will make their own SMPS which will solve this problem.
I second asking Rick. He upgraded my VTV Purifi via rearranging wiring, installing a fuse, etc and was very prompt and reasonable.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First - Thanks for a great forum!
I think I have read all 123 pages to find an alternative to the SMPS1200A400 as it is not in stock anywhere. The only thing I have found is a SMPS1K-PFCR2 from Micro Audio. The problem is just that it is not sent from the EU and it therefore becomes too expensive.
Is there an alternative to the two, which are PnP and which are sent from the EU? (I'm from Denmark)
Thanks in advance :)

While would love to help, given the distance, not sure I can.

In the end if Hypex is not resolving, would take to a reputable local repair shop.

PM if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Rick

Last edited:

Meanpeak

@Count, Thanks! appreciate it!

@ Rick, Thanks for your offer I already bought the micro SMPS1K-PFCR2
I should have bought it at first place, it has many added futures that I needed.

@ BOXeM audio, How? they simply must fix / provide technical support on burned part numbers for example? but they don't care. See Phonenix as another example.

Sorry, Phoenix how much did you pay for the 3 times shipping and return? it was under warranty like mine?

Thank you all for providing the help.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Count, Thanks! appreciate it!

@ Rick, Thanks for your offer I already bought the micro SMPS1K-PFCR2
I should have bought it at first place, it has many added futures that I needed.

@ BOXeM audio, How? they simply must fix / provide technical support on burned part numbers for example? but they don't care. See Phonenix as another example.

Sorry, Phoenix how much did you pay for the 3 times shipping and return? it was under warranty like mine.

Thank you all for providing the help.
It was $45 a pop. Yeah, I basically bought the thing twice. :( Also took the better part of six months to get everything sorted out. I actually sent the Purifi Eval 1 back to Denmark to verify it wasn't causing the problem (it wasn't), and bought a whole new set of wires from Ghent b/c I thought my wiring was defective (again, it wasn't). Finally I sent the whole unit to Rick to be sure I didn't somehow do something with the assembly of the case to cause it to short out. Again, no.

Also, Hypex does not seem to be able to keep the unit in stock. When I ordered mine I had to wait 2 months for it to come from Malaysia where it's being manufactured. I have to wonder about both availability and quality control with that unit, and since the rest of the amp is not sourced, or manufactured/ assembled by Hypex, it's the easiest thing in the world for them to blame the other suppliers or the DIYer-- particularly since the Eval 1 is a direct competitor to the NC400.

Last edited:

MSL

My first build ever, and i'm so glad. Twenty years since my last hifi-setup. Comes from lousy Sonos speaker i'm totally blown away:) Only thing missing is a DAC, looking for a used rme.

Ordnung muss sein :)

6F97C93E-EE93-469D-822C-5EA001DEC8F7.jpeg

6DF80190-CC26-4837-A04B-FC42611042E2.jpeg
4403E312-4E4B-4F48-8797-65306FEA070D.jpeg
C884E8F3-85EF-4C08-9B1C-08F1DB23BF8F.jpeg

starfly

Forum Donor
Can somebody who has used the neurochrome buffers and speaker protection modules in their build post a picture of the inside of their amp? I’d like to see how everything is wired up. Thanks!
Sorry, a bit of a late reply :) Below a picture of my build from last year with Neurochrome buffer and speaker protection circuit. All still works great a year later. The 12 VDC power supply in the bottom right provides standby power to the Hypex SMPS1200A400, and the red relay board in the top right provides trigger functionality to my amp (I have 2 trigger inputs).

If I were to do it all over again I would probably create a little PCB to more cleanly distribute power to the two amp modules. Now it's an ugly hack job with splicing wires, but hey, it works! And with the cover on, no one is the wiser :)

20200802_190842.jpg

starfly

Forum Donor
Have you been able to compare Neurochrome buffer with others? Sound.
Me? No. I just went straight for this setup as I liked all the features it offered. And measurements on the Neurochrome site show it to be otherwise transparent. I'm sure @tomchr can confirm.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Whatever "sound" of the Neurochrome Purifi/Hypex Buffer + Purifi 1ET400A or Hypex NC500 will be dominated by the "sound" of the Hypex/Purifi amp modules.

Tom

Iwf

I’m thinking of swapping between my NC500 build and the Purify. Does anyone know whether I could my Hypex1200/700 SMPS or do I need the 1200/400

cheers

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m thinking of swapping between my NC500 build and the Purify. Does anyone know whether I could my Hypex1200/700 SMPS or do I need the 1200/400

cheers
You need the 1200/400... Unfortunately. My case here too.

MSL

I have one thing that worries me. When I turn on my amplifier, a pop comes from my speakers, or not a pop, rather a click sound from them. It's not always equally loud, but it's there.
I disconnected everything, changed power cable, speaker cable. It makes no difference.
I do not think my speaker is harmed by it, but it is incredibly annoying.
What is the reason?

Naturlig

I have one thing that worries me. When I turn on my amplifier, a pop comes from my speakers, or not a pop, rather a click sound from them. It's not always equally loud, but it's there.
I disconnected everything, changed power cable, speaker cable. It makes no difference.
I do not think my speaker is harmed by it, but it is incredibly annoying.
What is the reason?
I believe a tiny tick comes from the SMPS when the relay kicks in just after pressing the power switch.

Naturlig

I have a clearly POP or PIFF sound in the right speaker, in addition to the tick from the SMPS, and only the first time in the morning when I switch the amp on. The amp is more or less like the one in the picture in post #2240, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-112. I have removed the yellow green earth cable and grounded the SMPS1200 to the chassis in one corner (scratched to metall). I have also swapped in a SMPS1200 unit from another amp I have, the SMPS then is "not guilty".
I have performed many measurements on the output terminals with Picoscope. I cannot find out what causes this sound. One of the last measurements is shown in the attachment. The Picoscope setting: trigger at 2 V AC and time set to 10 microseconds here. Does anyone here have an idea what to look for?
20211020-0001_XLR1_Begge_PIFF_INRight.jpg

masterklee

Me? No. I just went straight for this setup as I liked all the features it offered. And measurements on the Neurochrome site show it to be otherwise transparent. I'm sure @tomchr can confirm.
I purchased the Neurochrome input buffer for my VTV Purifi amp that came with the stock Hypex input buffer after seeing some good reviews about it from a YouTuber. It took me a couple of days to get the input buffers working in the amp. I did some rewiring and had to change some jumper setting on the Hypex SMPS1200 power supply board. Tom from Neurochrome helped me troubleshoot and fixed the problem. I spent many hours listening after the upgrade and I was blown away by the difference between this and the default Hypex input buffer. The soundstage is much bigger. The instruments and vocals sound "live" with micro detail and separation I have never heard before. This upgrade is a good match for my system. I am very happy with the service and buffer board from Neurochrome. Now I have to get back to my listening session...

Top Bottom