• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

D

Deleted member 65

Any hint where to get the ribbon cables and connectors? Struggle to find it with Google, only 5m and 30m rolls. For my current stereo build I need only approx. 50 cm long cable with the three connectors.

Purchase details
710-61201023021
Headers & Wire Housings WR-BHD 2.54mm IDC 10Pin Feml Strn Rel Qty: 10 Price: 0.370
3,70 EUR
517-3365/10FT
Flat Cables .050 10 COND. 28AWG ROUND 1PC=1FT Qty: 5 Price: 0.534

black_flag

Hello Black_Flag,
great feedback!
I'm considering the exact same setup (smps1200a400, 1et400, neurochrome input buffer, ghentaudio ncore cases) to build 3 monoblocks and have some questions :
- what case did you exactly buy from ghentaudio? ncore-mx2, ncore-mx3, ... ?
- is there any particular reasons to put the SMPS in this position? Why didn't you reuse the pre-drilled holes in the ghentaudio case (90 degrees rotation) ? is it better in terms of thermal dissipation or EMI?
- did you use the hypex cable set? did you have to buy anything else (in addition of the 10pins ribbons)?
- are the XLR and speaker binding posts the default ones that come with the ghentaudio kit or did you put special ones?
that's quite a lot of questions actually :)
thank you and best wishes to you all!
Olivier

Hi Oliver, sorry for the delayed response.

I purchased the NC400 kit from Ghent as it came with the LED, fuse, switches etc. Length is fine, width is tight but you can still achieve 6mm between components.

The SMPS1200A400 had to be orientated longitudinally because the combined length of the Neurochrome buffer & 1ET400A amp module AND wiring was too long to fit width-wise. So the buffer/amp module would only fit length-wise with the PS

I used everything from the Ghent NC400 kit, only had to buy some fasteners, JST connectors and pins.

Correct, Speaker terminals and XLR connectors are from the NC400 kit.

If i was doing it again, i'd move the buffer/amp module 30mm towards the front to make all the cables fit perfectly.

Cheers,

JM

black_flag

Next phase of the active project (aka the Hyperactive ATC's) was to build the Purifi amps & PS's into a pack that could fit within the cavity of my SCM50 ASLs . Parts are currently being made, will post more when they're assembled.
ATC SCM 3ch PURIFI_V2_ISO1 (Small).jpg
ATC SCM 3ch PURIFI_V2_ISO2 (Small).jpg

ATC SCM 3ch PURIFI_V2_Outer (Small).jpg

ATC SCM 3ch PURIFI_V2_Inner (Small).jpg

Attachments

• ATC SCM 3ch PURIFI_V2_Outer (Small).jpg
    ATC SCM 3ch PURIFI_V2_Outer (Small).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 79

Dueprocess

Looking to put together a multi-channel build using neurochrome buffers, XLR in / speakON out, and a Modushop case to pair with an Octo Research DAC8 PRO.

I've combed through this thread and some other forms, and I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger, but, I've never done a DIY amp build before (this seems like it should be more akin to assembling a computer, as far as being mostly plug and play). My thought is using the neurochrome buffer gives me more flexibility re: XLR / SpeakON placement, wheas the EVAL1 kind of forces my hand re: placement.

If I understand correctly, I am looking at the following / 2 channels:
  • 2x 1ET400A
  • 2x Neurochrome Buffer
  • 1x Neurochrome Purifi/Hypex SMPS Splitter;
  • 2x Ghent Wiring Harness
  • 1x Hypex SMPS1200A400
  • 2x XLR Connectors
  • 4x SpeakON connectors
Obviously the case and an IEC plug... I believe I read that you need standoffs for the Neurochrome input buffers (and presumably for the SMPS splitter), but I can't find the post... can anyone confirm? And potentially confirm what size?

Am I missing anything obvious? Am I correct this arrangement mostly avoids soldering (with the exception of the XLR / SpeakON connectors and their associated wires)?

Are there any templates available for XLR / SpeakON / IEC cutouts for modushop cases? I have searched but can't seem to find much.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi,

I
Looking to put together a multi-channel build using neurochrome buffers, XLR in / speakON out, and a Modushop case to pair with an Octo Research DAC8 PRO.

I've combed through this thread and some other forms, and I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger, but, I've never done a DIY amp build before (this seems like it should be more akin to assembling a computer, as far as being mostly plug and play). My thought is using the neurochrome buffer gives me more flexibility re: XLR / SpeakON placement, wheas the EVAL1 kind of forces my hand re: placement.

• 2x 1ET400A
  • 2x Neurochrome Buffer
  • 1x Hypex SMPS1200A400
  • 2x XLR Connectors
  • 4x SpeakON connectors
Obviously the case and an IEC plug... I believe I read that you need standoffs for the Neurochrome input buffers (and presumably for the SMPS splitter), but I can't find the post... can anyone confirm? And potentially confirm what size?

Am I missing anything obvious? Am I correct this arrangement mostly avoids soldering (with the exception of the XLR / SpeakON connectors and their associated wires)?

Are there any templates available for XLR / SpeakON / IEC cutouts for modushop cases? I have searched but can't seem to find much.

If you are interested, I have some brand new Purifi Buffers and also a finished Purifi Amp )

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

• 2x 1ET400A
  • 2x Neurochrome Buffer
  • 1x Hypex SMPS1200A400
  • 2x XLR Connectors
  • 4x SpeakON connectors

There are two types of speakon connectors for 1 (2 pins) or 2 (4 pins) channels. So you need a maximum of 2 connectors. 1 connector for 2 channels is not practical, better use 1 per channel.

black_flag

• 2x 1ET400A
  • 2x Neurochrome Buffer
  • 1x Hypex SMPS1200A400
  • 2x XLR Connectors
  • 4x SpeakON connectors

Looks like a well thought through list. Don't forget fasteners and consumables (heatshrink, cable ties, tie downs) etc. The Neurochrome buffer uses screw terminals for speaker and signal i/o but you'll need four 8mm pcb spacers/channel to raise the buffer up to the connector height of the amp module. If you find the ribbon cables are the wrong length you can buy pre-made Samtec cables from the usual vendors cheaply, always check stock as there are a lot of variants but not available. Also check if you need a crimp tool and JST connector/pins for the buffer side of the power supply loom, as either the hypex or ghent set only comes terminated at one end? As boxem mentioned, Speakons come in several variants you'll want two 2 way connectors - one each for left/right channels and specify screw terminals - i think there's crimp/other variants, connectors in general are a mine field. The D-Sub cutout is on the Neutrik XLR drawing attached, they also sell nut plates and colour coded seals for LH/RH channel ID.

Attachments

• nc3fd-l-1-3.pdf
    63.7 KB · Views: 179

Dueprocess

Looks like a well thought through list. Don't forget fasteners and consumables (heatshrink, cable ties, tie downs) etc. The Neurochrome buffer uses screw terminals for speaker and signal i/o but you'll need four 8mm pcb spacers/channel to raise the buffer up to the connector height of the amp module. If you find the ribbon cables are the wrong length you can buy pre-made Samtec cables from the usual vendors cheaply, always check stock as there are a lot of variants but not available. Also check if you need a crimp tool and JST connector/pins for the buffer side of the power supply loom, as either the hypex or ghent set only comes terminated at one end? As boxem mentioned, Speakons come in several variants you'll want two 2 way connectors - one each for left/right channels and specify screw terminals - i think there's crimp/other variants, connectors in general are a mine field. The D-Sub cutout is on the Neutrik XLR drawing attached, they also sell nut plates and colour coded seals for LH/RH channel ID.

Awesome! Thank you! (And the same to everyone above that has shared their experience / knowledge, as well).

machiavelli

Hello guys, does anyone here had success building the purifi Eval1 on the GX288 chassis? i am aware that there is some sort of 1mm gap between the connectors and the backplate. Does anyone faced this problem? or can you guys gently provide a nice blueprint if you have it for this case?
Best Regards.

TimoJ

Hello guys, does anyone here had success building the purifi Eval1 on the GX288 chassis? i am aware that there is some sort of 1mm gap between the connectors and the backplate. Does anyone faced this problem? or can you guys gently provide a nice blueprint if you have it for this case?
Best Regards.
I used that case, two pictures here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?posts/385389/
But I'm now changing to GX388 and adding 3rd channel with EVAL2.

raton78

Hi Oliver, sorry for the delayed response.

I purchased the NC400 kit from Ghent as it came with the LED, fuse, switches etc. Length is fine, width is tight but you can still achieve 6mm between components.

The SMPS1200A400 had to be orientated longitudinally because the combined length of the Neurochrome buffer & 1ET400A amp module AND wiring was too long to fit width-wise. So the buffer/amp module would only fit length-wise with the PS

I used everything from the Ghent NC400 kit, only had to buy some fasteners, JST connectors and pins.

Correct, Speaker terminals and XLR connectors are from the NC400 kit.

If i was doing it again, i'd move the buffer/amp module 30mm towards the front to make all the cables fit perfectly.

Cheers,

JM

Thank you for you answers, they're great inputs. I'm still wandering what would be the best option for me. Going with a Ghentaudio case is easier than going with a custom modushop one. But unfortunately those ghent cases are out of stock right now. And maybe ghent will soon release a case for the EVAL2 which would be just perfect for me.

Cheers,

Olivier

alexis

Audio Company
Troubleshoot NC400

Hi, I built a NC400 using Ghent 200 amp case. I use SMPS 1200, PCB connection board, and two NC400 board. At the beginning, it has no sound. I figured that I did not set Topping D90 to output at XLR and I wired the XLR input wrong.

So I fixed the XLR input wiring - blue to pin 2, white to pin 1 and Ground and nAMPON to Ground. Fixed the D90 setting and now there is sound but extremely low volume. How can I troubleshoot?

Both NC400 red leds all light up. Is there basic voltage measurement that I can do to check where I connect wrong?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I fixed the XLR input wiring - blue to pin 2, white to pin 1 and Ground and nAMPON to Ground.
Are you referring to pin 1 of the XLR receptacle? Pin 1 of XLR is used only for connecting the cable shield to the chassis. It is not intended for signal.

alexis

Audio Company
Are you referring to pin 1 of the XLR receptacle? Pin 1 of XLR is used only for connecting the cable shield to the chassis. It is not intended for signal.

Blue to the right, white to the bottom and shielded wire to the left (Ground), nAMPON to the gound. I might not say it right in terms of pin number.

PaulD

The pin numbers are critical. Perhaps you should post photos.
As mSpot said - the pin numbers are critical - CRITICAL. In the link I can see at least one pin number on the rear of the socket. You need to refer to the pin numbers, no left-right business which is open to misunderstanding depending on how you look at it.

The standard for XLR cables is:
Pin 1: "Ground" or signal braid and chassis earth (smallest path)
Pin 2: "Signal +"
Pin 3: "Signal -"

Top Bottom