• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Project to assemble TPA 3255 4 ch boards

Geriatric Sod

Hi all

I want to put together an 8 ch amp with 2x 4ch boards:

http://www.3e-audio.com/amplifier-kits/tpa3251-4ch-100w/
or
https://www.aiyima.com/products/amplifier-board-aiyima-b2d2205-tpa3255-4ch-315w-power-amplifier

I was thinking of powering these at 24-30Vdc to keep the distortion levels low.

I had the following questions about power supplies to power 2x boards:

1. Can I use a single 30V internal SMPS for both boards? Any recommendations?
2. If not a single internal SMPS, should I use an independent internal SMPS for each board? Any recommendations?
3. If not two independent internal SMPS, should I use a single external power brick? Any recommendations?

I was thinking of SMPS because 1) efficiency, 2) weight and 3) ability to run 100-240V.

I realize this is a bit of a random question, but I'd love any input I get...

Thanks!

PS: I'm not fussed about getting a super amount of power - 60-100W/ch at 8R is _more than plenty_ given the low advertised THD at such wattage...

@3eaudio for your input :)

3eaudio

Audio Company
if the power supply can drive 200W continues or more higher,i think one power supply is ok and save spacing.

KR500

FWIW, I ordered from Aiyima back in May and still haven't received it.
Their Shop tracking App shows it was delivered a couple of states over 10 days ago

OP
G

Geriatric Sod

Last edited:
OP
G

Geriatric Sod

FWIW, I ordered from Aiyima back in May and still haven't received it.
Their Shop tracking App shows it was delivered a couple of states over 10 days ago

Yikes! And they don't have any representative here, so we can't even find out what the hold up is, I guess!

Thanks for the info! :)

3eaudio

Audio Company
Thank you so much for your quick response!

So what I am hearing from you is that I can just wire up two boards in parallel to the http://www.3e-audio.com/power-supply/ice2qs03g-200w-36v/ and we will be good to go?

Now, of course, I have to source a piece from somewhere :)

Thank you again!
correct,but make sure the power supply is in good design,some seller only mark good thing on word but something still need pay attention to.

KR500

Of course as soon as I posted my comment about still waiting for my order from Aiyima after 3 months....... it was delivered the next day. They have a tracking app called Shop and it appears the package was in Chicago for around 10 days then in most of the major cities in Ohio before arriving here

OP
G

Geriatric Sod

Neither of those look to have a "sync" header. Running 8 channel with unsynced amps can cause interference and power droop.. see
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa787/slaa787.pdf?ts=1599252566997

This is a very good point. Thank you for this.

Question:

From what I see here, if we have a single supply for two independent boards, then it's likely that we would have to sync the boards to ensure that the power supply was properly shared.

However, if I use two independent supplies each powering their own board, then this is not going to be an issue, correct?

From what I see, getting two 120W power supplies and mounting them on opposite sides of the chassis may be cheaper and better than getting 1x240W power supply?

Do you think this will address the issue you've raised?

TimW

Major Contributor
Check out Connex Electronic switching power supplies. I just picked up an SMPS600RS 28V for use with one of these 3eAudio amps. There's also the SMPS300RS if you don't think you need the extra power. There's also a company called Micro Audio that has been advertising their new power supplies here.

I bring these other options up because often the 3eAudio power supply isn't available.

OP
G

Geriatric Sod

Check out Connex Electronic switching power supplies. I just picked up an SMPS600RS 28V for use with one of these 3eAudio amps. There's also the SMPS300RS if you don't think you need the extra power. There's also a company called Micro Audio that has been advertising their new power supplies here.

I bring these other options up because often the 3eAudio power supply isn't available.
Lovely! Thank you! :)

OP
G

Geriatric Sod

Would something like this work as well? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32816295040.html

I can get one per-board :)

Thanks again for your help

TimW

Major Contributor
The 3e-Audio TPA3251 4x100W amp is only specified to operate at 24-30V. I do not recommend a 36V power supply.

Personally I don't like to use no name power supplies.

OP
G

Geriatric Sod

The 3e-Audio TPA3251 4x100W amp is only specified to operate at 24-30V. I do not recommend a 36V power supply.

Personally I don't like to use no name power supplies.
Thanks - that's a useful perspective :)

nrabbit

From what I see here, if we have a single supply for two independent boards, then it's likely that we would have to sync the boards to ensure that the power supply was properly shared.

However, if I use two independent supplies each powering their own board, then this is not going to be an issue, correct?

From what I see, getting two 120W power supplies and mounting them on opposite sides of the chassis may be cheaper and better than getting 1x240W power supply?

Do you think this will address the issue you've raised?

You will still run in to the secondary issue:

"Beat Interference or Beat Tones are audible tones that occur when slightly misaligned switching frequencies interact to create another frequency"

Since they aren't on the same clock (sync'd) they can interfere with one and another.

Top Bottom