• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Phono Pre Suggestions

Grumple

Forum Donor
Good day all. Pretty self-explanatory really, any suggestions for an acceptable DIY phono stage? I tried to order the Muffsy kit but alas, Brexit/Covid related issues mean they aren't sending them to the UK.

Preferably nothing requiring proper engineering prowess, as this is one of many areas I am deficient in! Although the point of this exercise is to develop some basic skills in this department, I must accept my limitations!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Do you want a kit or DIY (scratch-build)?

Hagerman's Bugle is a very respectable and reasonably cost-effective kit/semi-kit.
That said, I don't know offhand if he's still selling it.

I have a Bugle "1" and I've spent quality time with the Bugle 2. These were excellent phono preamps for their time and price.
EDIT: I assume the Bugle 3 is, as well. :)

Bugle 2 with a b&o TX-2/MMC-4 :)

Here's a discussion that you might find interesting. Trigger warning: vacuum tube content :) That said, lots of interesting/useful/informative tidbits and some pretty well informed input from knowledgable folks (excluding your humble narrator, of course). ;)

DIYAudio's another very good place to look.

Last edited:

kjb

I have built this one, very nice.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It can be done with an op-amp (typically a dual op-amp for stereo) plus some resistors & capacitors (and a power supply, of course). You can find schematics online.

With a DIP-package (through-hole) op-amp you can build it on a solderless breadboard. I've built quite a few permanent projects on a breadboard, but never a preamp. I built a car alarm that worked for about 20 years before it died... And it was running 24/7, even when not "armed". The only time it was reset/rebooted was when the car battery died and had to be replaced... So that kind of design can be long-term reliable.

Or there are Chinese "hobby" PC board manufacturers that will make a custom board at reasonable cost. And there are some free PCB design applications but, there is a learning curve... I've started playing around with some of these applications and it was VERY frustrating trying to make a "custom" component that's not in the library (by modifying an existing component) and I haven't made a PCB yet. With op-amps, that's not a problem because even they don't have the exact part you're using there is always something with a similar package & pin-out.

....A million years ago when I was in college I made a phono preamp with a special-purpose preamp chip... It's no longer available but it was similar to an op-amp with built-in resistors for optional use in the feedback circuit. That's when PCB layout was done manually, and the college had a lab that would make circuit boards for as few dollars. I used it until I got a CD player! ;)

I no longer "play records" and I have a different set-up for occasionally digitizing vinyl. But if I needed a phono preamp, I'd buy one. ;)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a tried and true design with great documentation and a good quality PCB available or enough info to build from scratch ... I would recommend getting the board. I have one and it works well. https://sound-au.com/project06.htm
On first sight the design looks good. But one should not use the OPA2134 for U1. It has a FET input stage and hence rather high voltage noise. NE5532 and LM4562 are better suited. For MC pickups use two NE5534a or AD797. In this case check whether they need compensation caps as they may not be stable at unity gain.

pieterv1

The Muffsy phono preamp, available on Tindie.com is a great option as well!

Top Bottom