• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Mini-Unity Horn. Am I crazy?

OP
A

AwesomeSauce2015

While the BMS coax drivers do look interesting, I can't seem to find anyone (legit-looking) distributing them in the USA.

Does anyone know where I can find BMS drivers online?

Looking at the spec sheets, the 6C150 coax driver looks quite promising, if it doesn't cost a fortune more than the ($130) Beta-8CX + ($65) JBL 2408h-2...

nc535

BMS rep Assistance Audio
The 5.5" SICA coax's are more than promising - they've been confirmed to have good directivity and smooth or at least equalizable top ends. BMS looks like it might be good but you can't be sure until you buy one and measure it.

Last edited:
OP
A

AwesomeSauce2015

Update: This project is on hold temp-ermanantly.
Or at least until I have the space / tools to properly explore a multiway synergy horn.
As of right now it has become obvious that a small enough Synergy horn for my needs will not be viable for 2 reasons:
1: There will be no woofer loading as the horn will stop loading below 1000hz, which is basically the woofer crossover.
2: The horn assembly will take up so much enclosure volume that there won't be room to fit the woofers. Let alone the actual air volume needed for them.

The other thing is that due to a recent development, If I was to build a pair of speakers, they kind of need to be less than 5" wide. No unity / synergy horn will fit in that space.
I may eventually make a new thread concentrating on a potentially 3d-printed 5" wide MM(MT)MM speaker with a 4" coax driver and a fancy crossover to control vertical dispersion, but I'm still researching the potential of that design and it may end up being an M(MT)M with dual woofers on the side. I don't know at this point.

Thanks for all the help though!
-Me

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As of right now it has become obvious that a small enough Synergy horn for my needs will not be viable for 2 reasons:
1: There will be no woofer loading as the horn will stop loading below 1000hz, which is basically the woofer crossover.
No conical horn will give you any real bass loading in any realistic size, the Radiation impedance falls very early. This is made up for by them being in compression chambers, used in multiples and placed within 1/4 wavelength to make for coherent addition.

Top Bottom