• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY measuring headphones

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I thought I would take on some of the modifications to my Grado's. Why not. Old and not very expensive. I would like to be able to make relative measurements of their response and distortion. Would just a flat plate with my mic flush in it be a reasonable rig. Only need one side at a time, don't need to copy some generic ear as I am not looking for any absolute or comparable measures, just what my mod does. Thoughts?

Behringer mic, Foucusrite IO, etc.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you could 3D print an ear+canal and hook up your mic? DIY version of mini-DSP ears. The main question is how you can properly calibrate the contraption, but that might not be your primary concern for now.

You could even 3D scan your ear ;) Try something like Polycam.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
WAY too complicated for a simple one time relative test. Another forum suggested some felt on the board to reduce reflections.

Earfonia

I used Primo EM172 and EM258 before for binaural mics, they sound very good with very good bass and treble extensions. I also tried EM172 for IEM comparison measurement, very usable. Since you just need comparison measurement I guess the new Primo EM272 will do the job very well. EM272 is the replacement for the no longer in production EM172.

20220107_102728a.jpg

20220107_102701a.jpg

20220107_102642a.jpg

You can use Apple USB-C dongle for the headphone output and mic input. Just need a splitter to split the headphone output and mic input.

It was just past experiment, my IEM measurement rig now has been upgraded.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I used to have a Panasonic capsule. My first mic. Gave it away when I bought the ECM8000. ( Which now has a noise problem)
For a ear bud, I guess sealing it in like that would work pretty well.

Top Bottom