• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY magnetic floating stands on spikes

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The sandbox will have to be "reset" periodically if it actually works. Sand particles will "settle" and compact after prolonged vibration/energy input.

Depends on the sand. I used to work as a groundsman (looking after sportsfields) and the best sand for winter games pitches should have rounded particles more or less the same size. If you imagine a box of table tennis balls there is only so much compaction that can occur - there will always be spaces between the particles allowing better drainage. Compare that to 'sharp' sand or builders sand which has a mix of all shapes and sizes where the smaller particles can fill the gaps between the bigger ones - more possibility of settling.

I think I'm going to introduce some 'audiophile sand' very similar to sports field sand. Of course I will have to describe how it 'drains vibrations' and discuss the quantum nature of the silicon crystals blah blah blah. I'll try and get 'Zen' in there somewhere just to please gene_stl.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you Hipper. I am a member of a lawn nut forum too and here in the U.S. of A. "sharp sand" is preferred for top dressing , at least for putting greens. I think if you are going to make a sandbox isolator or build sand filled speaker enclosures(Wharfdales) it IS , critically important to use audiophile sand.:D:p

In the above post I linked to an excellent laboratory float table which fell into my lap. It is new in the box. I located a steel computer table that matches its dimensions perfectly and also located and obtained a small high pressure gas tank and two stage regulator to power it. That tank would last for years unless somebody used it as a go-go dance platform. I also got four new good looking locking casters. I offered this for sale at audiomart. At a fairly bargain price and a turn key system. ready to use. I got , not a single inquiry about it. It did get looked at a lot.

https://www.soundsofsilence.com/vibraplane-platform/ I love the description of the demo. You too can go to heaven. For less monyas!

Next thing you know, they'll be claiming you can hear , accurately pick out, the differences between amplifiers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom